What's new

A guy gets what he pays for: Wacker Jungmeister 7/8

I thought I'd post my new acquisition yesterday but to qualify myself first (or better yet put myself in my place) I have only been using straights less than two months. I found it hugely helpful though when I read posts others had added to the forum on blades I was considering purchasing so I hope I can do the same for someone else. Just take into consideration I'm a rookie which I guess is obvious as I originally posted this in the safety razor section so my apologies for duplication in advance.

Originally I started with a vintage Union Cutlery 5/8 from Whippeddog.com after which I bought a new TI Le Canadien 5/8 shortly after from Fendrihan's in Toronto when I knew I would be sticking with wet shaves.

I was still looking for my main razor and was planning on getting a Dovo when I saw a post in B&B about Wackers so I researched that line of straight shavers. I like traditional and I like craftsmanship and I don't mind paying a reasonable amount extra for it so I opted for a 7/8 Jungmeister with blonde horn scales at about $540 also from Fendrihan's. They say they are only factory sharp and not shave ready but a stropping with TI paste seemed to do the trick just fine. I do have some Shapton glass hones so I can touch up the edge any time I like but this Wacker shaved awesome even across the upper lip and chin.

Moving from a 5/8 to a 7/8 was surprisingly tense for me I found as there seemed to be so much steel to maneuver around my face and there was a noticeable heft to this blade. The tang has more than sufficient jimps so my grip was comfortable and I felt in control of the edge the whole time even when switching to my left hand (I'm a right hander). Though I've only been at this a short time my skill level was enough that I was shaving effortlessly even with my wife watching me. Not to stray off topic but what is it about straights that the ladies like so much? I don't particularly care to be frank other than I didn't get any hassle from my Missus for dropping over $500 on this razor; she liked it that much. I did sneak this one into the house but it is an impressive looking straight so she spotted it in my bathroom and was pleased by how it looked.

My TI Le Canadien has a round point but this Wacker has a Spanish point which I really like and was able to adapt too quickly. The straight felt well balanced and sat nicely in the horn scales. I tried a few tests I read about online such as the wobble test to see how the spine lay and if there was a smile to the edge. I didn't perceive any issue with the blade at all and the shave confirmed it. All I could say was WOW! Hence my wife coming in to watch me shave. I've read about edges that remove hair like butter and this razor did that for me. Now I am sure most of you would notice the edge could be better but based on my limited experience I am very happy with this Wacker Jungmeister. Being recently retired, dollars need to be watched here as we are on a fixed income now but I can rest assured that I will be buried with this Wacker (just daughters, no sons to will it too) and I will not need any other blade again........ Now a Kent BK8 silver tip brush that I have my eye on is another story for later! : )

Thank you for a great story. You've got a TI and a Wacker, both of them are top of the line razors. The trick is to remember that you don't need a third such razor. If you fall in that trap $500 only will be the beginning of a very expensive journey. Once you start it's very hard to stop.

Very nice post, thanks for sharing with us. At some point I would love to get something like a Wacker or a really nice custom. For now I am happy with my Dovo though. The wife is a little more accepting of vintage razors under $20 for me to slowly restore at this point in our lives.

Pics or it didn't happen.

Seriously though, congrats on your purchase. I'd love to see a pic of that razor.

As requested I took a few shots of the new Wacker Jungmeister or at least I tried to; I am not familiar with attaching images in the forum within an actual thread, just in the gallery.

$back.jpg$box.png$close.jpg$open.jpg

I wish I would have known you were looking at Wacker razors, i could have given you the email to the young lady I dealt with directly at Wacker and there is no markup by the supplier as you are dealing directly with them so it would have saved you a fair amount.

Here is my Chevalier and Jungmeister and you are correct they are very nice razors.

$IMG_4644.jpg$IMG_5508.jpg

Top Bottom