What's new

Platform or Clipless Pedals

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I am going to buy my 1st pair of clipless pedals today. (I hope I don't fall over too often). I usually ride 10-15 miles when I cycle and it's time to switch.

So let's start a discussion do you use them or not, if so was your transition easy? If you don't use them why not?

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
If you are on a road bike, you really do need clipless pedals. You lose 40% of your stroke power if you dont have them. Unless you use cages, but those are more of a pain when used properly than the clipless pedals. If you are on a mountain bike, its a bit of a toss up. Sometimes they help, sometimes they can get you in a bind. So I use some Shimano downhill style pedals on my MTB bikes. These have a full frame downhill pedal with a clipless pedal hidden in the middle on both sides. This way when I get to a tricky spot, I can unclip and just use them like regular platform pedals. And if I dont want to use the clipless at all, I can just ride in sneakers or hiking shoes. I used to have regular clipless pedals on my MTB but they were to dangerous for me. :)

When you do get them, make sure you get comfy riding shoes, and have the clips properly fit to the shoes. That makes the biggest difference.

I have a "campus" pedal. Clipless (SPD) on one side and platform on the other side. I was slightly afraid to commit to clipless in the beginning. I almost exclusively use the SPD side of my pedals. The only exceptions are short commuter rides in heavy rains that will soak thorough any of shoe cover. I don't have waterproof cycling shoes, and I hate waiting on them to dry out. On those days, I wear old running shoes. I always miss my SPD shoes on these days, and I should buy some shoes for the rain.

I do like the flexibility of the "campus" pedal when commuting. I often will switch over the the platform side of the pedal on one foot if I see something that might make me stop ahead. The platform side still lets me pedal, but I know my foot is free if I need to stop and dismount quickly.

The transition was fairly easy. I fell over a few times in the first week. I'd stop, and forget that I was attached to the bike and fall down. I haven't had an issue since.

I use ATAC (SPD). There's a lot of talk about power transfer and such, but for me the most obvious advantage is that clipless pedals are more comfortable than clips and straps. Plus, MTB style gives you a set of cleats you can walk around in. Once switching over I never looked back.

If you want to stick to platforms you can get a sort of half/clip, attachment. Just enough metal to cover the toe of a shoe. They're a great option if you want to use regular shoes, but don't like strapping in. Also, Powergrips, which are a diagonal nylon strap look like a good option for casual riding.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I went with Shimano A600 SPD Pedals. I only rode around the lot at the store under supervision. Unclipping takes a bit more of a heel turn than I thought it would, but I can tell I will love them.

I went with Shimano A600 SPD Pedals. I only rode around the lot at the store under supervision. Unclipping takes a bit more of a heel turn than I thought it would, but I can tell I will love them.
Do you have them on the minimum release setting? It should be adjustable. Do you have the side-to-side only cleats or the ones that let you lift up as well?

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Do you have them on the minimum release setting? It should be adjustable. Do you have the side-to-side only cleats or the ones that let you lift up as well?

He set them loose for me. As they brake in I will probably have to tighten them. These will only release with a heel turn to the outside

He set them loose for me. As they brake in I will probably have to tighten them. These will only release with a heel turn to the outside

I kept mine at lowest setting for over six months of daily commute riding (lots of clicking in and out) after I first put them on. I only recently had to tighten them a notch. The metal seems pretty resillent. I hope yours loosen up a bit so that you don't find it difficult to get out. Happy riding!

Legion

Staff member
I ride every day, and not as a pastime. Rail hail or shine. I don't even own a car, and commute to work, the grocery store...

I have a touring bike (which makes sense because of the miles I ride, and the loads I often have to carry), and on it I have a good set of mountain bike platform peddles. The reason for this is simple. I cannot go through my day in silly cycling shoes. I might be on and off my bike many times a day, and running around doing who knows what in between.

Yes, clipless peddles are more efficient to ride with, but do you see many cycle couriers wearing them? Nope, they also need to walk around. More efficient does not always mean more practical, so YMMV.

I cannot go through my day in silly cycling shoes. I might be on and off my bike many times a day, and running around doing who knows what in between.

Yes, clipless peddles are more efficient to ride with, but do you see many cycle couriers wearing them? Nope, they also need to walk around. More efficient does not always mean more practical, so YMMV.
+1
I wear DZR shoes like this:
$Marco_blk_SM_1200x.jpg
I can't stand the idea of wearing silly cycling shoes.

If you are on a road bike, you really do need clipless pedals. You lose 40% of your stroke power if you don't have them.

I agree 100%. No one who uses them ever goes back. (OK, I've known a couple girls who tried them and thought they were scary, but those are real outliers). But keep your platforms for those days you want a quick jaunt down the block and don't want to change shoes. The swap is easy with a 15mm pedal wrench; faster than changing shoes.

The trick to transitioning (and it's not hard) is to say to yourself on your first couple rides over and over, "I need to unclip when I stop. I need to unclip when I stop." It's just embarrassing to fall over at a stop light, and if you have fragile bones, you can crack a pelvis or collar bone landing on your side like that. After a couple rides, it just becomes second nature to swing that heel out.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I have been doing that for two weeks on my platforms just to start training my brain.

I have been doing that for two weeks on my platforms just to start training my brain.

It may seem counter-intuitive, but once you get the hang of clipping in and clipping out try to tighten the springs on your pedals quite a bit and see how they feel. I have always found that when the springs are tighter, the movement required to release the clip is more positive and easier to make.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
ciderguy;[URL="tel:8640669" said:
8640669[/URL]]+1
I wear DZR shoes like this:
View attachment 702216
I can't stand the idea of wearing silly cycling shoes.

Me too. I have a pair of Nike mountain shoes that look like hiking boots, as well as a pair of shimano mtb shoes that have full knobby soles. My regular road shoes almost never get used.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Road 5 miles last night. I really loved the clips. I actually had a harder time getting in them than out of them.

I wear Pearl Izumi casual shoes. I don't like regular road shoes.

Unless youre doing some really hardcore mountain biking, where you might need to put a foot down to prevent yourself from falling suddenly, youd be a fool not to have clipless pedals. You get twice as much power with them because you can pull up, as well as pushing down on the pedals.

MTB: platform pedals. There are obstacles and steep spots that I would not want to test my ability to unclip quickly. Not doing it!

Road bike: Shimano SPD pedals and some cheap Giro shoes. Gotta have 'em. I've been road cycling since May of 2015. Only one time, early in the transition, did I forget to unclip, but reflexly got out in time to stick my leg out. Would have been pretty embarrassing at the busy intersection. About a week later I went out after rain and washed out at slow speed at the same intersection. It was embarrassing! Unclipping is automatic now.

Been riding with clipless pedals, Look Keo Carbon for quite a few years on my Waterford RS33 after many years with rat traps. Only one time could I not get out of my pedal and took a tip over fall, luckily on to grass when some dimwits ahead hit their brakes for absolutely no reason what-so-ever and my only way out was to go over.

Just try riding in a parking lot, in a cemetery, on a quiet road to get used to the pedals and practice the release before you come to a stop.

Love the pedals, wouldn't ride again without them.

Have fun!

Road bike---clipless without question. SPD at all times.

On my dirt rig, I have a set of the Crank Bros older Mallets, which would look to more fall under their Double Shoe collection now, thinking I'd switch it up. I've honestly only used the "street shoe" feature when riding the MUP path with family, and have otherwise clipped in for any trail riding.

If things go so far south that I don't feel good clipped in, I'm already stopping and walking. If I realize too late that being clipped in is a bad idea, I've already biffed it anyway, and I come out of the clips and take the hit with some other body part.

Always good fun.

Top Bottom