What's new

Frequency of shaves. and why.

I think there's two possible explanations for irritation: 1) technique/shaving with too much pressure; or 2) razors aren't properly sharp, causing you to shave with pressure to cut hairs.

When I started, I needed a day between shaves so my face could "relax," due to irritation. Now when I walk away from the mirror my face feels relaxed and pampered. I've shaved two times in a day many times, each time walking away with the same feeling.

I dislike my face feeling rough and prickly, so I either shave at least once a day or grow a beard. I generally end up shaving a second time in the same day if I shave really early or have evening plans. On the early days, I shave that second time because I don't like the way my stubbly face feels against a pillow.

My beard does grow fairly fast. I used to regularly shave 2-3 times in a day (around 5am, 3pm, and then 9pm if going out). I have consistent excellent shaves regardless of the amount of growth as long as I use soaps that my skin likes. (Derby lemon cream & Arko stick will make my face tingle if I use them for a second shave in the same day.)

Every other or every third day since starting set shaving. A week is not unheard of. I shaved tonight and it was good.if I shaved tomorrow, it would hurt. So I do it every other day.

Cheers!

Every other or every third day since starting set shaving. A week is not unheard of. I shaved tonight and it was good.if I shaved tomorrow, it would hurt. So I do it every other day.

Cheers!
I'm an every other day shaver as well. I need to wait at least 36 hours before I can shave again. Like you, it hurts to much in the area between my chin and Adam apple if I shave to soon. Once I have my technique down, I'll try shaving 2 days in a row again to see if that's my problem

I joined the USAF when I was 20. I learned to shave daily in basic training. It wasn't bad at first, but I never liked it.

I generally shave every other day (every 48 hrs.). Thankfully, I'm not required to be clean-shaven for professional reasons, and shaving every other day allows me to shave leisurely in the evening, rather than racing around in the morning. And the shave is normally close enough that I'm not really suffering from visible 5-o'clock shadow until around 18-24 hrs. later.

One thing I've noticed from shaving with straight razors is that they seem to excel at shaving longer hair growth. I remember dreading an upcoming two-day or three-day shave back when I was using carts, but a straight razor takes care of this no problem. The rare times when I go three or four days without shaving also turn out to be some of my best shaves for some reason. But as for routine, I'm sticking to every 48 hrs. for now.

Last edited:
I shave daily, but shave with a straight every other day. I only have one straight razor and have read that you should rest it between shaves. At some point I'm sure that I'll end up with a second (then third, then fourth...) and my DE razors will become part of my travel kit only.

I shave 6-7 days a week. I have to be clean shaven for work M-F, but in reality I prefer having a clean shaved face everyday. I have 2 young kids (3.5 and 14 months), so the weekends get busy. Sometimes I will miss a day on the weekends. On vacations or holidays, I still try to shave every day. I try my best to never go more than one day in between. I don't think that skipping a day really makes a difference on shave quality for me. I use straights every day.

On a side note, you would probably get more variety in answers on the General Shaving thread. The majority of Straight Razor users seem to be more dedicated to daily shaving. DE Shavers seem to be a lot more diverse in their shaving habits. Just from similar threads I have read over there.

I shave only on weekdays and mainly for work, if on holiday, then I skip the shaving specially if I'm not at home.

When I want to pamper self, I take out my best equipment and have a 1 to 2 hour bath and shave.

Now to your question about how it feels. For me letting my face rest provides a better shave, I can go a full week without shaving, than shave with not issues at all, I once shaved a full goatee and a months worth of stubble with no adverse effects.

I'm a straight razor shaver, don't know if this makes a difference.

I guess I am a slacker in this group, I shave once a week, maybe once every 10 days. No particular reason for not shaving more frequently, but do look forward to shave days!

I try to shave my face every day, but i sometimes take a day off. I usually allow 3-4 days of growth on my neck because it's really sensitive and seems to respond better to a blade when longer hairs are being shaven off.

when I worked, I shaved every day. now that I'm retired, and especially when I'm on the road traveling, I shave every couple, third day. on day four or beyond, and sometimes day three, I get some tugging on the first pass.

once I learned to properly regulate the pressure, I never got irritation. I never routinely had irritation with any other systems, but when I did, it was bad technique, dry shaving, or using a damned electric razor.

Top Bottom