What's new

Frequency of shaves. and why.

I am interested in people's frequency of shaves, and why they make that choice.

I am someone who doesn't need to be clean shaven for my work, so there is no pressure for me to shave every day. For some reason, every three or four days seems to feel the best for my face. Longer than that (which I end up doing quite a bit, actually) and it feels like I don't get the best shave...a week's worth of stubble removal is usually not my closest shave.

I don't really understand it, as on some level it is just the blade, the skin and the stubble (oh, and the lather!) meeting - how long the stubble is doesn't seem like it should make a difference! I am sitting here after having a really great shave yesterday, and my face is still mostly smooth... and I am fighting the urge to shave again today - to try and remove the tiny bit of stubble starting and keep this smoothness alive! But I know that for whatever reason, a day after shave is seldom a good experience for me...

So I'm curious - those of you who shave every day because of work... when you're on holiday or something and you don't shave for a few days... is it easier on your face? Do you just get used to the every day thing? Is it a technique issue? Are some people's faces just predisposed to being able to handle every day shaves? Do other people here share my every-three-or-so-days because it feels best thing?

What is your frequency of shaves - and why do you make that choice?

I shave every day. I work from home, so no one cares if I shave. On weekends, I shave. On holidays, I shave.

I don't take breaks from simple pleasures; sometimes these are the only pleasures available.

Last edited:
I shave every day. I work from home, so no one care if I shave. On weekends, I shave. On holidays, I shave.

I don't take breaks from simple pleasures; sometimes these are the only pleasures available.

Absolutely.

Since converting to straight razor shaving three months ago, each day I look forward to my next shave - even if I am not sure how it's going to turn out (my honing skills...) as I have acquired quite a lot of razors - SRAD - and like to try something different.

Furthermore I like to be clean-shaven and my very tough beard grows at an incredible rate. I was smooth six hours ago; my chin is now already bristley I cannot imagine being presentable after 24 hours, although the idea of giving the face a "rest" appeals in one way. And how anyone can get a respectable one-pass shave is beyond me; I certainly couldn't!

All the best

Cambouis

I shave daily, including Saturday and Sunday. I really enjoy shaving since I started wet shaving 3 years ago, and I like feel of a clean shaven face to start the day.

I shave 6 days a week. 5 days are for work, I am a manager and a public figure for the newspaper. Saturday i aim for the greatest shave in history and take about 40 minutes for my shave. Sunday I give my face and head a rest.

I shave 6 days a week. 5 days are for work, I am a manager and a public figure for the newspaper. Saturday i aim for the greatest shave in history and take about 40 minutes for my shave. Sunday I give my face and head a rest.

Does your Monday shave, after a day off, feel any different than the others?

I shave every day because I can. I'm a student, so certainly no pressure to be clean shaven every day. I also like to develop my technique, and I'm quite certain shaving just once a week wouldn't allow me that

I shave every day. I don't like the feel the next day and I seem to have more face issues if I let it grow. It also seems to grow a little quicker since moving from cartridges. I only work two days per week so I don't have to shave every day but I enjoy it.

I shave every 2 or 3 days. Just so I have something to shave off haha. My whiskers grow slow and dont exacty come in full. Couldnt grow a beard if I wanted too. But I have been enjoying shaving more since starting to wet shave.

Every day. I shaved daily when I was working and now that I am retired. The very rare exception would be when I am hunting or something but those few days are mitigated by the few days when I shave twice in one day! The reason why I shave daily is stated in my signature line.

I'm every other day or every third day. I've never been able to shave every day, even with the fancy coated cartridge blades. The nice thing is my straight razor shaves last easily 24 hours+ before I even start looking close to unpresentable.

I recently retired from the Air Force. Shaving was a requirement every day. Having joined B&B, and learning to enjoy my shaves towards the end of that, I never saw a reason to stop.

I'll occasionally be rushed and don't have time, or don't feel like it if I'm sick, and I'll skip a day..... and I really don't like that feeling. I prefer to be clean shaved every day, even though it's not required now.

I shave everyday when im working and sometimes every second day when im in my home office. If i shave every second day it seems my skin likes it better but i enjoy using my straights so much that ill shave everyday and just moisturize more...lol

I shave every day. I work from home, so no one cares if I shave. On weekends, I shave. On holidays, I shave.

My habits and feelings exactly. I end up shaving about 363 times per year and those two shaves that I miss because of happenstance, I can never get back.:mad3:

This is an interesting question for me. In general, I shave every day. I like the feel of being clean shaven. When I'm just using a DE I usually shave daily.

I've recently gotten the straights back out and when I'm using them I usually shave every other day and sometimes even every third day. It feels like I don't have enough stubble to justify using a straight otherwise. My facial hair is now white more or less and my eyesight isn't as good as it once was so I can't even see the stubble the next day after a close shave. :)

Yet, when shaving with a DE I generally do it every day. My face can use a break from my straight razor shaving technique and I guess it doesn't need one from my DE shaving technique. :)

Every morning.

Why?

1. Tradition
2. My wife (and her appreciation that I do...and I suppose my appreciation that she does as well! lol)
3. My scruff is "itchy" on my chin...

-Will

Hmm... thus far, it seems that I am in the minority - a person who would shave every day because of many of the reasons listed by others, the love of doing it at the top of the list, but who finds that their face has a hard time taking it. Perhaps, as I was wondering, this really does have to do with technique as opposed to some notion of "different face types"...

With a very few exceptions, I shave every day. I do it for myself, not others. Same reason I have well iron shirts, pressed slacks, polished shoes, and a matching ties. When I look good, I feel good.

Top Bottom