What's new

Newbie help....

Is there an actual thread for straight razor newbies to seek advice? And tips?

My question - every SR shave (typically Mondays after not shaving over the weekend) I have overall successful shaves that are socially acceptable - except that I always make 1 or 2 mistakes and get a decent cut. Those cuts I've notice take a while to heal. The cuts from / weeks ago are nearly gone but not quite. I had 2 particularly bad cuts...one on the upper lip (which has been an area I've had a hard time getting shaves equivalent to my DE). Well the cut on my upper lip has me concerned about scaring. Is it possible to scar from a SR cut? Now I know obviously it is (I'm sure you could do serious damage) - but these are of the general large nick variety which were able to be stopped with a styptic pencil. It's been reopening ever day with the DE and now is looking worse. I probably shouldn't have shaved for a few days to let it heal more. I generally shave every day though. I'm sure it will be fine but I'm starting to think I need to take this cuts more seriously!

My question - every SR shave (typically Mondays after not shaving over the weekend) I have overall successful shaves that are socially acceptable - except that I always make 1 or 2 mistakes and get a decent cut. Those cuts I've notice take a while to heal. The cuts from / weeks ago are nearly gone but not quite. I had 2 particularly bad cuts...one on the upper lip (which has been an area I've had a hard time getting shaves equivalent to my DE). Well the cut on my upper lip has me concerned about scaring. Is it possible to scar from a SR cut? Now I know obviously it is (I'm sure you could do serious damage) - but these are of the general large nick variety which were able to be stopped with a styptic pencil. It's been reopening ever day with the DE and now is looking worse. I probably shouldn't have shaved for a few days to let it heal more. I generally shave every day though. I'm sure it will be fine but I'm starting to think I need to take this cuts more seriously!
just don't shave over the cut

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Please feel free to start a thread either in general straight razor talk or the straight razor shave clinic to ask any questions you might have.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!

You should not be cutting yourself that much even beginning. The most likely culprits are too much pressure, allowing the blade to move laterally, and maybe lather drying out and becoming less slick with too high an angle. Not getting a good stretch also makes cuts much more likely.

So get a good stretch, keep the lather wet (it should wash off the razor easily under a stream of water from the faucet), the angle low and the pressure light. Use short strokes until you get the muscle memory.

Cheers, Steve

I am far from an expert or even a good SR shaver but here are some "tips" from my limited experience in no particular order.

• Keep the lather slick. While a DE shave can benefit from a thick lather, a SR shave needs one that is a little "wetter" as it helps with the "glide factor".
  • Keep the blade angle low. This can be hard to judge but a good rule is to place the blade flat against your cheek then lift the spine off your face roughly the same distance that it is thick (or no more than twice the thickness).
  • Use less pressure than you use with a DE razor.
  • Stretch the skin.
  • Move the blade up and down, not side to side.
  • If you have problems shaving your upper lip area, grow a mustache (make it a handlebar)! :)
  • If you are having problems getting the area under the nose, chin, parts of neck shaven properly, there is nothing wrong with using a DE razor for those parts until you get more confidence.
  • Never be afraid to ask questions!

My advice, most as above:

Keep the lather slick.
Keep the blade angle close to 20, that will decrease knick.
Practice facial grimacing and stretching the skin.
Avoid slicing movement
Below the nose, only shave with the grain 2 times. This may require a really sharp straight to get good/close shave. Or shave with DE there for a start.
Above the lip and side the nose WTG, open mouth and do 0 grimace. Try XTG with closed mouth. And shave in same direction as the lip to avoid cutting lip.
The neck, spend some time just to see to what positions you can stretch the skin. If stretching in shaving direction(not optimal) 2 point stretching can help. However I just found that doing the exact same type of stretching to get the skin under the cheek bone up to the cheek helps me shaving the neck area long below the cheek.
If it feels almost like a cut/nick when you put the razor down do not do the stroke, lift the razor up and put it down in a little different position.

I've found the guys in the Straight Razor forum to be extremely helpful. I know they were very kind to me and they seem to love converting people to straight razor shaving. When you get into honing they have a ton of knowledge there as well. You're in good hands.

My advice to you if you keep cutting yourself beyond a small nick early on is that you're likely rushing. Slow it down and enjoy a peaceful relaxing shave. I find most of my mistakes came when I was either in a hurry or trying to do something stupid like trying to attack an area from an odd angle.

Top Bottom