What's new

So.What Is Your Hair Styling Routine?

I thought it might be interesting to see people's daily hair styling routine.

For example - do you blow dry or air dry. Add product to dry hair or damp hair?

Do you add leave in conditioners/oil sprays as a pre-styler/to make hair more manageable/detangler/moisturizer for hair before using a pomade or hair styling product for hold, texture, volume, etc?

Does your hair styling process require more than one hair styling product?

Do you use combs/brushes or your fingers to do everything?

Do you change up the hair products every few days for different looks or have you find your ONE holy grail product that you use every single day.

The way to style hair is seemingly endless. So what's your system.

For me:

I air dry and add product to slightly damp hair.

I haven't been using any kind of leave in anything, but I am thinking that I probably should since I have some dry hair/breakage issues.

I typically only use one hair styling product, but I have 5 different pomades that I really like, so I switch it up every few days. If you want to know what they are, I will be happy to tell you/recommend them.

I use a comb initially after I have put the product in my hair and then use a brush later on to finish my hair style.

If a product is malleable and retains hold, I will typically brush through my hair and restyle after the product has been in my hair for an hour or so. For some magical reason, doing this makes my hair look great - it just falls into place that way when I break the hold. But this does not work with all products. Some products are meant to be set it and forget it and if you break the hold, your hair will go limp.

So...what is your hair styling routine?

I am long overdue for a haircut, so my hair is wild and wavy and hard to control right now.

After a shower, and shampoo and conditioning,
I towel dry it and just let it do its own thing.

Any attempt to comb it or brush it into place meets with a lot of resistance,
especially around the ears.

So I just let it go with the flow and do whatever it wants.
As long as it stays reasonably symmetrical, it looks OK, at least to some people.

When I have it freshly cut and styled,
I like to comb and brush it straight back.

I got a Kent comb and military brush about 6 years ago,
and since then, that's all I use on my hair.
Nothing before or since has felt so good on my scalp.

I don't like to use any mousse or gel or pomades on it.
When it gets long enough that I need some product to hold it in place,
that is a sure sign that I need to get a haircut.

My hair is thick and coarse. It tends to stand easily. I have had several barbers tell me that I am the perfect candidate for a flat top.
I keep my hair short with a #2 clipper on sides and around back with a little longer on top so that I can comb it to the side.

I towel dry and put the product in while damp. For 2 weeks after a haircut I will use American Crew Fiber which is a medium hold to add some weight and control. On weeks 3 and 4 I switch to American Crew Forming Cream which is a lighter hold.

I style with only my fingers.

I shave my head when it gets ~1" long or starts to stick out at odd angles, so my routine is towel drying whatever is there, running my hand over it, & letting it do its own thing.

Mine gets a #2 every Saturday evening. Bar of soap on it in the shower. Shazzammm it's that easy. Now back in the day I had super long straight blonde hair. It was much more complicated back then!!

Post shower I dry my hair to a dampen state then add a gel product (usually Johnny B "mode") to my hair with my palms and fingers. I then shape/style with a comb and add volume and shape with my fingers. I then go back with the comb to tidy up any stray hairs. This takes place after every shower even if I'm getting ready for bed. If I am getting ready for bed, after styling I allow to dry before going to sleep. The next morning, I dampen my hands only, add a dime size amount of gel to my hands and mix thoroughly. Then using my hands and a comb, reshape my hair to desired style.
My hair always styles better the day after my shower, so I usually do this procedure every night.

Happy styling!

Post shower I dry my hair to a dampen state then add a gel product (usually Johnny B "mode") to my hair with my palms and fingers. I then shape/style with a comb and add volume and shape with my fingers. I then go back with the comb to tidy up any stray hairs. This takes place after every shower even if I'm getting ready for bed. If I am getting ready for bed, after styling I allow to dry before going to sleep. The next morning, I dampen my hands only, add a dime size amount of gel to my hands and mix thoroughly. Then using my hands and a comb, reshape my hair to desired style.
My hair always styles better the day after my shower, so I usually do this procedure every night.

Happy styling!

People still use gel? :001_smile

I think it's a gel. It's the product my stylist recommended and that works really well for me. I had long hair in a ponytail for 9 years with no product use. Then cut it all off and started something different. Stuck with what worked. Like everything else, I love trying new things. Probably going to switch/try out a pomade soon.

Last edited:
shower, comb out hair in shower
Towel off hair (not dry)
Shave
Hair is now fairly dry, apply pomade
comb out and done.

I was not blessed by the hair gods. I have moderate hair loss and so I keep my hair short. I cut it myself every few weeks with #3 setting on the clippers . I use a decent shampoo and conditioner, brush with a boar hair brush, and let it air dry. I hardly ever use any pomade or styling gel.

Hair styling? product? Hell no don't have time to mess about with all that, grade 1 back and sides with a good trim off the top every six weeks, shower every morning quick rub with a towel and a pass through with fingers job done, it's all about being comfortable withyour appearance and never conform to fashion

Hair styling? product? Hell no don't have time to mess about with all that, grade 1 back and sides with a good trim off the top every six weeks, shower every morning quick rub with a towel and a pass through with fingers job done, it's all about being comfortable withyour appearance and never conform to fashion

If I don't put *something* in my hair, it all puffs out and won't lay flat. Assuming I desire to be somewhat presentable at work...unless I shave my head (which I won't do, I have scars) I need product to have it even approach laying down.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
After I shower I always blow dry my hair, keeping the hair-drier in one hand and the comb in the other. While I dry the hair I also comb, so to give a rough shape of what my hair style is. When completely dry I apply a hair pomade (either oil and water based) on my hair using my hands only. Finally, with hands and comb I "sculpt" a College Contour on my head.

Until about 21 months ago (my last haircut), I had a buzz cut, 2 on the sides and back, and 3 on top. Now I'm a full-fledged hippie. I wash and condition my thick hair every three days, towel it dry, and apply pomade or hair tonic to wet hair, or apply nothing at all. My hair is really long, and I brush and comb it straight back, behind my ears. If I don't use pomade, it tends to fall all over my face. My wife wants me to tie it in the back into a pony tail, but I like the pure hippie look from my youth...

P.S. My young niece likes to put french braids in my hair.

Last edited:
My hair is lept short. Fade 2 to a 3 on the sides and blend in on the top at about 1 inch. I use sally beauty supply beyond the zone wax stick..bed head???? I apply it damp. One stock for 10 bucks lasts a year. Been doing that for 10 years now.

What I do with my hair depends on how long it is at the time, but I usually just dry it with a towel or just let it air dry.

I use pert plus moisturizing shampoo/conditioner 2 in 1. Otherwise my scalp gets ridiculously dry.

As far as "styling" it is concerned, if it's short enough, I don't do ANYTHING with it at all. When it gets long enough, I'll usually spike it, and when it gets longer still, I just slick it back, but I almost NEVER use any sort of mousse, spray, wax, oil, or anything like that. And eventually it'll get long enough that it'll just sorta part itself in the middle once it dries completely after I slick it back.

And then honestly, sometimes I just get up and walk right out the door with my hair in whatever crazy position it worked its way into while I was asleep. I've never honestly placed much importance on my physical appearance. Now obviously if I have a job interview to go to, or if I have to go to work, I at least make an effort. But if I'm just running to the convenience store for some quick little thing, I honestly couldn't care much at all.

$Totcrag113020112.jpg $ToddAmanda.jpg $tot1223092.jpg

I prefer having my hair a little longer like in the 2nd and 3rd pictures, but eventually it becomes a pain in the butt to maintain because it's not really curly and it's not really straight, and it does all kinds of weird things on its own.

It takes me about a year - year and a half to grow it out all the way to the point that I get sick of it, and then I just buzz it down to nothing.

Last edited:
#1 on the back and sides, blended in with 3"-4" length up top, every 2-4 weeks. I'll shampoo every 3 to 4 days. Condition once every 2 weeks.

I pat dry my hair with a towel and then leave it alone while I shave. I like a high shine with pomade, so I apply it to my damp hair and then I style it with a comb to finish off my morning ritual.

In the evening, I rinse out my (water soluble) pomade, pat dry with a towel and run a comb through my hair and let it air dry. I'll brush my hair before going to bed.

Last edited:
Top Bottom