What's new

The "I won't need another aftershave for awhile" review thread

I will try to continue on with the bay rum reviews for comparison sake. Up next...Superior 70...

$Superior 70.jpg

The Shave: Gillette Post War Aristocrat
The Blade: Polsilver Super Iridium shave two
The Soap: Mystic Water Bay Rum (Sample)
The Factors: Four pass shave (WtG, XtG, AtG, and another WtG)/Thayers Lavender Witch Hazel after the shave and before the aftershave

Initial Thoughts:

Out of the bottle this bay rum doesn't really smell like a bay rum. Actually I think it has a very medicinal type of smell. But I am trying new things out, right? I took a healthy pour and splashed it on my face and neck. There was a nice burn to the splash...more than the Master bay rum. Going on, the scent started to smell like a bay rum, but a very watered down version of it, and that medicinal smell was still there. Once it is on, you can feel a moisturizing effect, not as much as Master, but it is moisturizing none-the-less. When it begins to dry down, that is when the scent comes out. Superior 70 has a very nice dry down which finishes into a spicy smelling bay rum. Just a tad spicier than Master. These are my initial thoughts. In my part two I will explain the day long effects and my final thoughts.

Hope you guys have a great day and I just want to say Happy Birthday to all my Devil Dog Brother's and Sisters! Happy Birthday Marines!

You have two thirds of the ingredients for Bootleggers Bay Rum:

Bootlegger's Bay Rum
1/3 Pinaud Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum
1/3 Master Bay Rum
1/3 Superior 70 Bay Rum

I splashed on the Master Bay Rum around 6:30 this morning. There was a tad bit of burn to this but really not much. It left my skin slightly tacky but dried up within minutes. I liked the scent a lot...like really...a lot. I stated previously this is pretty much what I expect a Bay Rum to smell like. The scent fades almost completely after a couple of hours, but all day long I caught whiffs of it on my hands. The moisturizing effects this aftershave have are really good...I am very impressed. The entire day I felt as if my face had been replenished of it's moisture content. Ten hours late it is finally gone, but the moisturizing effect in this is better than some really expensive aftershaves I have tried. What really made this aftershave stand out for me is how smooth my skin felt today. I touch my face a lot out of habit and every time I did, I noticed how smooth and soft my skin felt. Other than the scent strength, if there is a down side to Master Bay Rum aftershave, I do not feel a lot of toning of the skin. Something I am willing to look over since my face was very soft and smooth today. At about $10.00 for a 15 ounce bottle, I don't see how you can go wrong with this aftershave. Heck at that price...I might buy enough to fill a bath tub and bathe in it.

Final thoughts...

I really liked the scent, but wish it was stronger. It seemed to really nourish my skin. Very affordable at the low cost.

Am I likely to buy this? You bet your pants I will. On second thought, I don't want to bet your pants...keep those things on.
If I had to settle on three bay rums for the rest of my days, Master would be one of them, along with St Johns and Dominica. I have tried about a dozen bay rums, the rest that I own are ok or not worth the bother.

At about $10.00 for a 15 ounce bottle, I don't see how you can go wrong with this aftershave. Heck at that price...I might buy enough to fill a bath tub and bathe in it.
I find it locally for between $5-$6.

Question about Master Bay Rum...is there any clove as part of the spicy notes? (I'm one of those who really like a hint of clove as part of bay rum)
Yes there is a clove type aspect to it, but it's not as pronounced as others I have smelled.
Agree, very slight, not too pronounced.

Superior 70...

Out of the bottle this bay rum doesn't really smell like a bay rum. Actually I think it has a very medicinal type of smell.
To me, S70 is what bare bones Bay Rum is supposed to smell like, before anything else is added to it. It's definitely weaker scented than Master, but master is also very sweet smelling, and a slight bit clovey, but not much. S70 has no clovey scent whatsoever, just pure bay rum.

You have two thirds of the ingredients for Bootleggers Bay Rum:
He got a full bottle of Bootleggers BR in his box, and a sample of VIBR too!

Thanks for your thoughts Don - it will help put all the reviews into perspective. :thumbup1:

I've wanted to try Master BR, but have never seen it local. Where are you finding it KJ?

S70 is bay and alcohol, I enjoy the scent, but my favorite bay rums are mixes. I currently have a mix of Captains Choice, VIBR and S70 which I enjoy quite a bit.
I will have to try to find some Master!

I've wanted to try Master BR, but have never seen it local. Where are you finding it KJ?
I have a couple of local barbershops that carry it. I actually need to go buy some more of it, I gave the rest of my bottle to Don. See if you have any barber supply stores nearby, or ask barbershops if they carry it (or if they can order some in for you).

Sally Beauty used to carry it, but I don't think any of them do anymore.

Very fun thread! Subscribed. Can't wait to hear about the other ones.

Unfortunately Bay Rum has been banned from my household since it is not a scent enjoyable for the fiance. The other is the Veg but that was my choice. :lol:

I have a couple of local barbershops that carry it. I actually need to go buy some more of it, I gave the rest of my bottle to Don. See if you have any barber supply stores nearby, or ask barbershops if they carry it (or if they can order some in for you).

Sally Beauty used to carry it, but I don't think any of them do anymore.

Thanks!

Unlike Master Bay Rum, Superior 70's scent completely vanished before noon. No faint whiffs, no slight scent off the hands, nothing at all. As far as how it smells I did enjoy it, spicier than Master (Master is a little on the sweeter side). I did enjoy the scent while it lasted though...just wish it lasted a bit longer. The moisture factor was there but again not as much as Master. SP70 probably has the edge in the toning department though, as my skin did feel tighter on application.

Final Thoughts:

All in all, Superior 70 is a good aftershave, maybe even better than many. At costs anywhere between $3.00 and $12.00 for a 12 ounce bottle I don't see how you can go wrong with SP70.

Master Bay Rum>Superior 70

The moisture factor was there but again not as much as Master. SP70 probably has the edge in the toning department though, as my skin did feel tighter on application.
Makes sense. S70 is just alcohol, water, and Bay oil. Master has a lot of glycerin in it.

I probably won't have another review until Monday guys. I have a lot to do around the house and I typically don't shave unless I go out or something of the sort. I just wanted to say thank you to all for the participation in this thread already. If you have any questions, please ask. It will make this thread that much better. Happy Veteran's Day to all!

[MENTION=93173]dangerousdon[/MENTION] and [MENTION=29515]TheVez2[/MENTION], Happy Veterans Day to you both, and to all the Veterans. Thank you for your service and sacrifice!!

Loving this thread!!!

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Great reviews! Looking forward to more. S70 is one my all time favorites. The scent is nice, but not overwhelming, and the bay oil is very soothing. It even works great on itchy bug bites and other skin irritations. For anyone looking for an inexpensive and simple, all-natural aftershave without any unpronounceable additives or artificial coloring, Superior 70 is it!

Top Bottom