What's new

Schick Type E & A Vintage Blade

Soooo...despite all the warnings about the life span of vintage blades I threw caution to the wind and slid in a 1940's injector blade and...proceeded to scrape off a few whiskers. After the first pass and a hint of a tears, I grit my teeth and went for a second pass. I think stubbornness got the better of me or perhaps a desire to "man up" so I could truly say I have shaved with a vintage blade, however, I could not make myself do a third pass.

Despite being VERY careful and paying close attention to technique, all I managed was some irritation on my neck and very little reduction of the stubble. Wow did that blade pull, perhaps even pulled some whiskers out. :w00t:

Loaded up my old Type head on a Fat Handle and did a VERY gentle single pass to at least make it feel like I shaved.

Has as anyone else given a vintage injector blade a try? If not...I Double Dog Dare ya! YMMV :laugh:

Attachments

• $IMG_0048.jpg
    $IMG_0048.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 57
I have and with good success. I believe if the injector blades have been properly stored away from moisture you will probably have a good experience. Injector blades because of their thickness generally are very durable. But there always is a slight gamble.

Wait. Erase the above. I just noticed you said a blade from the 1940s.

Not recommended! Twenty years or so would be my max.

Last edited:
I once shaved with an injector blade that was more than 70 years old. I quit after the first pass, and I won't make that mistake again.

Any blade made from the mid-1960s or later will be stainless with coatings. Unless it was stored in a soggy box all those years, a coated stainless blade should be just fine.

Any blade from the 1940s is unquestionably going to be carbon steel. Unless it was kept in an absolutely bone dry atmosphere the whole time, a carbon steel blade - even a thicker injector blade - has a good chance of having a deteriorated edge.

Of course, unlike stainless steel, a carbon blade can be stropped...

I have and with good success. I believe if the injector blades have been properly stored away from moisture you will probably have a good experience. Injector blades because of their thickness generally are very durable. But there always is a slight gamble.

Wait. Erase the above. I just noticed you said a blade from the 1940s.

Not recommended! Twenty years or so would be my max.

Not all vintage blades are created equal. Some of the stainless steel blades produced in the 1970's are superior to anything being made now. In particular, the Schick Plus Platinum, Schick Super Chromium and especially the Personna 74 Tungsten are outstanding.

Unfortunately, many of the blades produced prior to that period weren't all that hot to begin with, and their edges can deteriorate over time even if there is no visible rust.

Save those 1940's blades to display with the razor and stick with stainless steel blades for shaving.

--Bob

I've shaved a few times with Schick Krona Injector blades. They were introduced in 1959, and I don't know when they were discontinued. My box has a price of 98 cents for 15 of them. I've only tried one so far. It is currently loaded in my Canadian Injector. I've had a few shaves on it. It tugs a little bit and has more blade feel compared to a modern Schick blade. I still end up with nice shaves and no irritation.

I wouldn't hesitate to try out other vintage Injector blades, especially the legendary Personna 74 Tungsten.
$2.jpg
Schick Krona Box.
$7-zoom.jpg
Schick Krona loaded in Canadian Injector.

Top Bottom