What's new

Real Extra Virgin Olive Oils.

USA enforcement of Olive Oil labeling is much stricter than Europe. There are some wonderfull european oils, but TJs California offering is the real deal. I know, the grove is up the coast.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Don't rule out extra virgin olive oil made in America. Many wonderful artisan olive oil makers may be right in your local community. I visited this place and was astounded by the quality and flavor. The balsamic vinegar was even better. It's 5 miles from my house.

https://texashillcountryoliveco.com/

Stay away from all olive oil designated as "pomace" , it's a solvent extract of the leftover crap...If you live in the east bay area of San Fran the best place to buy olive oil and vinegar is at Amphora , across the street from the Claremont Hotel in Berkeley .The have locations in San Anselmo and Lafayette as well , but smaller inventory.Berkeley usually has about 30 varieties in SS vats , and you can sample every last one of them as well as read each ones nutritional benefit factor chart. Their prices run $19 per 750 ml.....well worth it !

USA enforcement of Olive Oil labeling is much stricter than Europe. There are some wonderfull european oils, but TJs California offering is the real deal. I know, the grove is up the coast.

basically this, I do not trust imported olive oils and wines, I have to mention I'm from that same Europe, but some countries do not have adequate labeling.

OP try local producers, you would be surprised what is a difference between mass produced olive oil and locally produced and I can bet USA has some.

Also try pumpkin seed oil if you haven't tried, this thing is even better for males since it can lower chances of getting prostate cancer! It has to be almost black in a bottle but when pouring over something it's dark green/purple. I use both on a regular basis.

I'm having a problem with EVOO. When I go to a restaurant and they have oil for dipping bread it tastes great. At home any EVOO always tastes harsh to me. I picked up some Carapelli after reading this thread and while it has a great flavor it was still a little strong for bread. Our normal MO is to use regular olive oil with a little garlic for bread. That Carapelli was wonderful on a salad with a little balsamic vinegar and grated cheese!

My question is what do restaurants have for dipping oil that is so different than what you get in the bottle?

Bariani Olive Oil: grown, pressed, bottled and shipped from California.

It's pretty great stuff, though not cheap. Sometimes you get what you pay for.

+1. Fruity, fresh, delicious, not cheap.

Also try pumpkin seed oil if you haven't tried, this thing is even better for males since it can lower chances of getting prostate cancer! It has to be almost black in a bottle but when pouring over something it's dark green/purple. I use both on a regular basis.

+1 on pumkinseed oil. My sister brought a bottle for me back from Austria, I savored every drop. Very flavorful and good for dressings, bread, anything where you want the flavor of the oil fresh and up front.

My brand right now is Living Tree Foods Eight Fruit Heirloom Olive oil. Alive and organic. http://www.livingtreecommunity.com/store2/product.asp?id=318&catid=16
Also, not cheap, but fresh as all get out, and very good. I cook with it from time to time, but mainly use it as is for dressings and what have you. I've tried Bragg's, Bariani, Rapunzel and one other that I can't put my finger on the name, in the last couple years. The one I like the best is the Living Tree foods, though I'm intrigued by the mention of California Olive Ranch so I'll look into theirs as well. Have fun trying and finding your favorite!

I'm having a problem with EVOO. When I go to a restaurant and they have oil for dipping bread it tastes great. At home any EVOO always tastes harsh to me. I picked up some Carapelli after reading this thread and while it has a great flavor it was still a little strong for bread. Our normal MO is to use regular olive oil with a little garlic for bread. That Carapelli was wonderful on a salad with a little balsamic vinegar and grated cheese!

My question is what do restaurants have for dipping oil that is so different than what you get in the bottle?

Depends not every oilive oil it's same, it could be different taste or it could be bad oil. By bad oil I mean mass produced, olives should be picked up by men not by machines and immidiatly transeferd tooil rafinery, if not oilives become bitter

Well, my bottle of December's New Oil from Katz Farms in California arrived today. I just had a teaspoon and a half, drizzled on some turkey breast and broccoli.

Wow, big difference from the store-bought stuff. More fragrant - smells deeply grassy. More taste - it has a peppery bite on the back of the throat, and actually tastes like olives.

So this is what olive oil is supposed to taste like. Those with ready access to good olive oil might laugh at my naivety, but I suspect that the majority of Americans, like me, have no clue what a decent olive oil tastes like. Before this, all of the olive oil I've ever had has been flavorless.

My little 375 mL bottle was quite expensive, but I'm glad I bought it. I will seek out better stuff from now on.

Top Bottom