What's new

Curry.

... If you eat too much curry you can get high. :w00t:...

And it can be mildly (okay, sometimes not so mildly) addictive. The body's reaction to the capsaicinoids causes the heart rate to speed up and endorphins to be released ...mmmmm endorphins :tongue_sm.

When we lived in Kuala Lumpur a friend of ours, no matter what he was eating, would always heap mountains of chili peppers on top. Within minutes he would be sweating profusely and shoveling still more chili peppers in. Hilarious, and kinda gross, to watch. I never even tried to keep pace - it would have been no contest since I suspect he'd seared off his taste buds years ago.

In KL the thing for a snack is roti canai. It's a light flaky bread, a bit like naan but lighter and ... uh flakier. And it comes with a bowl of curry for dipping. You can usually choose between chicken, fish, or lentil curry. It costs about $0.25 and is unbelievably good.

Even better is the combination of fiery hot and tanging numbing of huājiāo (Sichaun peppercorns). Lazi ji though not a curry takes my top spot for spicy deliciousness. It's basically a mountain of chili peppers and Sichaun peppercorns with chicken pieces buried underneath. It lights your mouth on fire and then shows a little mercy by numbing your tongue a wee bit, just enough to convince you to take another flaming mouthful. Awesome but oh so addictive!

Thali plate's are the greatest invention ever.
$5 around here gets you rice, bread (naan, puri or chapatti), salad and 3 different curries.

A dish of mango or lime pickle with that and I'm in sweaty heaven.

V

VR6ofpain

I love the stuff. Well I love virtually all Indian food. One of my favorites is Sag Paneer (spinich cheese). I can't get enough of that stuff.

My wife took me to Birmingham, UK to visit her relatives. Naturally, we had to go to the Balti triangle for a curry. Simply amazing! The dish was so fresh and vibrant I'd swear they flew in the spices that day. I look forward to going back.

Mike

It's been so long since I had curry. Why? I really don't know. I'm now absolutely desperate for a lamb rogan gosht with peshwari naan. Mmm. Best recipe I've ever come across is Coriander Chicken in Madha Jaffri's curry bible. Yum!

Doing a Rogan Josh for tonight's dinner.The kids love it. A good traditional Vindaloo is my personal favourite though.Curry,the food served in Heaven:biggrin::biggrin:

The best beer to complement a really spicy curry was Royal Challenge, which I can't get near my anymore. It's an indian beer, light, very summer-perfect.

I've always found the best drink with a curry is a good, strong pot of tea. That's what the Indians I know drink with it and it always goes down with the staff at the local curry houses.

There's one just down the road from me that used to supply the Rolling Stones when they were recording in France. They'd phone an order in and send a light plane to Cheltenham/Gloucester airport and collect it!

Those rock stars eh? 'Tis pretty good though!

Gareth

Top Bottom