What's new

Ever-Ready 100T Questions

A call out to ER 100T restorers... I just received a couple 100Ts and planning my restores. Some questions to the brush restoration community...

When measuring the handle opening for knot size I see it is about 20mm. But, there appears to be a 1.5mm plastic ring or cup which if removed would make the handle opening about 24mm. Is it what it appears to be? When drilling out the knot base will this ring or cup remain or will it be compromised?

The ivory or cream color is yellowed. Will it brighten up with polishing or will this color just be what it is?

Knot type and size: I know this varies but I am looking for suggestions. I am thinking about a two-band finest. I also am tempted by the looks of a black badger but I am concerned about the quality and softness vs. scratch of the black badger. Anyone have experience?

Thanks for any help!

I have a 100T that I honestly don't like the knot on and I purchased it NOS, the knot is not very dense and to floppy so i may attempt a new knot but hate to take out a perfectly good knot.

When I did mine, I removed that 'shelf' bore out the hole to 24mm I believe. I rounded off the corners and filled the hollow handle with epoxy for more heft.

It was my first restore, and I should have set the knot a bit deeper, but oh well....

Looks cool! Nice work on smoothing out the shoulders. What kind of knot is that and what loft did you set it?

It's a black badger, I got it off ebay Virginia sheng shaving or something. Price was good, quality is good. Ebay buy it now, and it came from china.

I looked at those on VS. What size knot and what depth did you set it?

I did basically the same process as Moustache, but I transplanted a Semogue boar knot from the 1460. 22mm diameter, loft of 50mm, this is my go to brush when I face lather.
$20160424_103015.jpg
Before
$20161121_232555.jpg
After

I used a dremmel sanding drum to enlarge the knot opening to 24mm and then filled the handle with B.B.'s and epoxy. I set a TGN finest badger at 12mm with g-flex epoxy. It is my favorite brush by far. I would highly recommend that knot.

Top Bottom