What's new

Haslinger Shaving Cream

[MENTION=36370]brucered[/MENTION] - quick question -

I face lather Haslinger exclusively and am just wondering if you feel you're getting just as good a shave/feel with the cream method. There's just something about face lathering Haslinger Schafmilch that I don't think I could ever give up.

:sailor:

[MENTION=36370]brucered[/MENTION] - quick question -

I face lather Haslinger exclusively and am just wondering if you feel you're getting just as good a shave/feel with the cream method. There's just something about face lathering Haslinger Schafmilch that I don't think I could ever give up.

:sailor:
My initial shave was every bit as good as when I face lather.

I'll update my impressions and thoughts after I get a few more shaves under my belt.

It's just nice to be able to pull out the DB Scuttle and bowl lather some Haslinger. I haven't bowl lathered all year.

Boom! Dialed in.

Creamier, thicker, less wasted.

Here is today's protolather, much less airy:
proxy.php

Lather:
proxy.php

After pass 1:
proxy.php

I think this was after pass 2:
proxy.php

Did you start with less water?
Yes. A soaked brush, squeaked and a shake or two. I added a few drops during the build process though. Like most creams, it has a bunch of water already in it.

So far, so good. I'm calling it a complete success at this point. I see no difference in performance, no difference in post shave and same attributes of other creams like GFT.

I'll give it the hot water scuttle test soon. That is one area that Haslinger soap fails in as it breaks down.

I used some extra cream tonight and it was worth it.

proxy.php

It seemed to hold up to scuttle heat far better than as a soap when I tried it a few days ago. I tested it once but back to soaking the brush in hot water and using the scuttle dry.

Last edited:
Very interesting, thank you for sharing. With the lack of preservatives, it would be interesting to know the safe time frame to use such a shaving cream before it gets bad.

Very interesting, thank you for sharing. With the lack of preservatives, it would be interesting to know the safe time frame to use such a shaving cream before it gets bad.
No clue yet, but we may find out soon.

My plan is to ride out my Year of Haslinger and start something new for my first shave of 2017.

So whatever is left in this tub, will sit in the name of science. I'll check on it weekly to see if it is spoiling, smelling, growing legs or disintegrating.

I would normally keep using it, but after a year of Haslinger, I'm looking forward to using something else.

Call me crazy but I would assume that given time the water would just evaporate and you would be left with soap. I don't think it would spoil.

Call me crazy but I would assume that given time the water would just evaporate and you would be left with soap. I don't think it would spoil.
That's what I'm thinking too. I only mentioned the spoiling as some have expressed concern with a rot stage or similar in commercial creams.

I'm hoping it just firms up a little and will be good to go when called on.

It would be interesting to see how it holds up over time. If it dries out, you can probably add more water to make it creamy again.

But if it develops microbes you can't see, then you might risk infection while shaving.

All in the name of science! :thumbup:

Not sure if this was mentioned so I apologize if it was.
Was there a different in performance per scent? I have the coconut and the sheep milk. Not sure if it is my imagination but I feel like the sheep milk is better for performance.

Not sure if this was mentioned so I apologize if it was.
Was there a different in performance per scent? I have the coconut and the sheep milk. Not sure if it is my imagination but I feel like the sheep milk is better for performance.

It's debatable. You'll get varying answers in the Haslinger Soap Thread.

I think I just made Haslinger cream by accident.

I shredded a puck of Haslinger Schafmilch (this puck has strong wet barnyard odor), added maybe 1/8th to 1/6th of a cup of Pinaud Island Spice Bay Rum aftershave, pressed down the soap to be sure all of the shavings were just submerged in aftershave. I was thinking the soap would just soak up most of the aftershave. 24 hours later, it's a thick paste with some lentil sized chunks. I'm tempted to carry it further and whit it into to a proper cream, but I don't think my face would react well to shaving with all that alcohol. Instead I am going to let it dry out and try to compress it down as much as I can back into a regular soap.

Top Bottom