What's new

Fiesta dinnerware thoughts?

Since remodeling the kitchen, our White Correlle Dinnerware just isn't cutting it. The kids are getting older and not dropping dishes any more either. We would be looking at 12 of the 4 piece Place settings with Bowl and Mug, 12 different colors and then maybe some serving pieces.

Are there any concerns with using Fiesta for daily use, in the dishwasher, weight of them, chipping, staining etc? Unfortunately, we can't order from the factorydirect site or anywhere outside of Canada, as shipping would be crazy. Luckily, :Bed, Bath & Beyond" has it online and offers free shipping in Canada.

Any help, suggestions, must have colors, colors to avoid and advise is appreciated

$125386122009cz.jpg

Fiesta is indestructible. I have used the same set everyday since 1999. Not a single piece has a chip or a stain. No fading, either.

It does not break easily, either - I've had kids 10 of those 17 years. I the handle break off one oversized mug when it was dropped, but several other pieces have survive some nasty falls.

I have two place settings of four different colors. The only one still in production is the turquoise. I also have persimmon (which looks a lot like that orange aboce), a light grey, and chartreuse.

I think the orange ones are the ones that are radioactive.

My wife grew up next to a Nuclear Power Plant, so we are immune to all that stuff already...at least she is and the kids are 1/2 immune. :thumbup1:

Fiesta is indestructible. I have used the same set everyday since 1999. Not a single piece has a chip or a stain. No fading, either.

It does not break easily, either - I've had kids 10 of those 17 years. I the handle break off one oversized mug when it was dropped, but several other pieces have survive some nasty falls.

I have two place settings of four different colors. The only one still in production is the turquoise. I also have persimmon (which looks a lot like that orange aboce), a light grey, and chartreuse.

Thanks. That's what I was hoping to hear. :biggrin1:

Our kids are soon to be 10 and 12, so help set the table and clear the dishes. They were excited about the possibility of funky colored dishes.

We have about a dozen different color of the 4 or 5 piece place setting. They have survived our two boys ages 7 and 14. We also have some of the extra items like serving platters, larger pasta bowls, and most recently some of the baking dishes. My wife loves it and it makes for an easy gift anytime a new color comes out.

My newly birthed AD is Fiestaware. At the last antique show I started picking the brains of vendors to understand what to look for with the vintage stuff.

My thoughts are to go with mixed colors the variety is great.

Thanks everyone, the positive feedback is reassuring.

[MENTION=86252]*Terence*[/MENTION] Mixed colors all the way, no doubt about it.

They are quite good everyday plates.
3 knocks against them for me.

They are stoneware so they are heavy.
They are quite scratchy on the underside.
I had dark blue, and the glaze did not hold up as well as I thought it should. Looks scratched quite quickly.

Pro - they don't chip ever.

I had dark blue, and the glaze did not hold up as well as I thought it should. Looks scratched quite quickly

Fiesta recommends Wright's Copper Cream to clean up the scratches in the glazing. I haven't tried it, but the darker colors do seem to wear more.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
I think they were cleared on that whole lead content thing. You might want to follow up on that.

I think they were cleared on that whole lead content thing. You might want to follow up on that.

It's one of the benefits of going New. There would be no second guessing or having to check date codes of manufacture year. They are now lead free and made in the USA. And since the USA is basically part of Canada, I'll take it. :001_tt2:

Is Fiesta® Dinnerware lead free?

Since 1992 when a major manufacturing process change took place at The Homer Laughlin China Company, all of the dinnerware produced for the retail and food service markets has been "lead-free." Fiesta® Dinnerware has been "lead-free" since 1986

I am a big Fan. Fantastic everyday type stuff.
I have a couple of friends from West Virginia who are oddly obsessed with the stuff. You know, oddly, like we all are about shaving stuff. No, actually, they are WAY worse.

Now you're going to have get new silverware, not to mention matching salt and pepper shakers and a new BBQ pit.
Cutlery is on our short list too. New stuff for home and move this stuff into Camping rotation. :lol:

Maybe I can work in an outdoor brick oven in exchange for Fiesta serving pieces????? Now you're talkin'.

We love our Fiesta dishes. When I bought my first five piece sets (with cup and saucer), I intended to keep it to four colors. A week later I bought two more colors, then a few days later bought more colors. Now we have about fifteen different colors. I have big hands, so my thumb doesn't fit in the handle of the cup that you show in the post above, so I avoid that particular set. I always hand wash our dishes, so our Fiesta looks as good as the day we bought it. Restaurants often use it as it is very durable, but I did break a bowl recently when I dropped it in our cast iron porcelain sink, so you still have to treat it with care. I have avoided the cobalt, plum and black colors as the display pieces at the store seemed to scratch easily. The brighter colors have held up very well.

The current orange color is called Poppy, and is nearly identical in color to the old Fiesta Red which was radioactive (over a half century ago). This is no longer the case - all modern Fiesta is lead free and not radioactive! In short, buy it and enjoy it!!

Top Bottom