What's new

Race To The Finish PIF! Win a Dans Black Arkansas Oilstone or a Belgian Coticule!

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
This PIF is a bit unconventional, so please read all of the rules before participating.
First off, what's up for grabs? Your choice of a 6x3 Black Arkansas Oilstone, OR a 130x70 MM coticule with slurry stone. Both stones are lapped flat, chamfered and ready for use.
How to win? The person who makes the 400th post in this thread will be the winner. And that's it!!!

Rules:
•Please be a member in good standing with at least 50 quality posts.
•Have fun! The goal here is for all of us to have a fun (and likely very random) discussion. Random is ok, but let's try and keep the focus of the thread on something shaving or honing related.
•Obey the Terms Of Use and remain courteous to one another.
• Each post should have a minimum of 6 words so we don't end up having 400 posts of +1's and +2's. Pictures are fine as long as they're accompanied with 6 words.
•Since this is a small item, and due to recent international shipping increases this is open to CONUS only. (If international members are willing to cover the difference in shipping that is perfectly ok).

That's it, guys! Have fun..pace yourselves...and let the race to 400 begin!

EDIT: Please try and keep your posts to at least 6 words. I understand one will slip by here and there, but to claim the prize the 400th post MUST CONTAIN A MINUMIM OF 6 WORDS

Attachments

• $IMG_8097.jpg
    $IMG_8097.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 246
  • $IMG_8119.jpg
    $IMG_8119.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:

David

Just for reference, we did this in creams a while back where the 300th post was the winner and it took less than a week. Given the high traffic in the straight razor forums I expect this to last 5-7 days.

David

I'll start us off with a discussion. How are most of you guys using your coticules these days? I rarely do a dilucot off a 1k anymore, as was the norm a couple years ago. These days, depending on the stone I'll go up to a synthetic 5k ( or sometimes an 8k) and then go to a coti on misty slurry or water.

I'll start us off with a discussion. How are most of you guys using your coticules these days? I rarely do a dilucot off a 1k anymore, as was the norm a couple years ago. These days, depending on the stone I'll go up to a synthetic 5k ( or sometimes an 8k) and then go to a coti on misty slurry or water.
Never had a coticule, but I have been looking at the ardennes coticule site. The skill required to hone on a coticule has been putting me off. So off to the question, can a coticule used with nothing but water be a good touch-up hone?

David

can a coticule used with nothing but water be a good touch-up hone?
Honestly, I think that's where they excel. Most old school barbers that I've talked with used theirs with water, oil, or lather. Other than the Brazilian barber hone, I don't recall seeing any vintage coticules that came with slurry stones.
That being said, it's still handy to have a slurry stone laying around. It's always good to have options.

Never had a coticule, but I have been looking at the ardennes coticule site. The skill required to hone on a coticule has been putting me off. So off to the question, can a coticule used with nothing but water be a good touch-up hone?

What makes it so much different than other finishers?

This thread makes me want to pull out my straight razors and give them a go again. I do this every so often when I get bored and need a challenge.

And if you guys had the choice, given limited funds. Would you choose a coticule that was 40x100 mm or 30x125 mm?
Please take into account that I don't have much experience and perhaps the added width of the 40mm stone might help my newbie technique. I would primarily use this stone for touch-ups.

David

And if you guys had the choice, given limited funds. Would you choose a coticule that was 40x100 mm or 30x125 mm?
Please take into account that I don't have much experience and perhaps the added width of the 40mm stone might help my newbie technique. I would primarily use this stone for touch-ups.
That's a tough one, but I think I'd go with the 125x30 just for the added length.

I have a coticule bout but this is a longer bout with a different characteristic so I'm m in! I hear that one cannot have too many stones...

Top Bottom