What's new

Silver star compared to Feather blades

Shave #9 with the Silver Star blade completed. And yet another fine shave. :biggrin1:

View attachment 703990

These not too well known blades are definitely worth shouting about.

So here's another BUMP to let everyone know about them. :laugh:

Shave #12 with the Silver Star blade completed. :biggrin1:

View attachment 705716

It was a nice shave today, but not great... and that's my fault, not the blade's.

On shave #11, I attacked five days growth. Normally I would have tamed that a little first with my electric beard/stubble trimmer. But I wanted to see how my Phoenix Bakelite Open Comb Slant would cope with it. It coped fine, as did the blade, but I think it was asking a bit too much from the blade. I like to see how long my blades will last, but I'll ditch them if I don't get a great shave – unless I suspect my technique or mood is off for some reason, then I'll give it another go.

So, my 12 shaves with the Silver Star have given me 25 days worth of shaves. I've loaded the Phoenix with a new Silver Star and am expecting a much better count next time round.

To cut to the chase, after all that rambling, the Silver Star is one very worthy blade and I'm pleased with my purchase.
And once again a BIG THANK YOU to [MENTION=113055]Shaver_dan[/MENTION] for pointing me to them.:thumbup:

Shave #12 with the Silver Star blade completed. :biggrin1:

View attachment 705716

It was a nice shave today, but not great... and that's my fault, not the blade's.

On shave #11, I attacked five days growth. Normally I would have tamed that a little first with my electric beard/stubble trimmer. But I wanted to see how my Phoenix Bakelite Open Comb Slant would cope with it. It coped fine, as did the blade, but I think it was asking a bit too much from the blade. I like to see how long my blades will last, but I'll ditch them if I don't get a great shave – unless I suspect my technique or mood is off for some reason, then I'll give it another go.

So, my 12 shaves with the Silver Star have given me 25 days worth of shaves. I've loaded the Phoenix with a new Silver Star and am expecting a much better count next time round.

To cut to the chase, after all that rambling, the Silver Star is one very worthy blade and I'm pleased with my purchase.
And once again a BIG THANK YOU to @Shaver_dan for pointing me to them.:thumbup:

Indeed thinking about getting that razor. Thank you so much.

Mine finally arrived from India on Friday morning
I used one today, so far so good - Thursday will be the deal breaker if I can get 4 or more good shaves

Mine finally arrived from India on Friday morning
I used one today, so far so good - Thursday will be the deal breaker if I can get 4 or more good shaves

Your

Opinion to me is interesting. Definetly keep me posted. I am about to try Racer Super Stainless. I keep finding more bad wilkinson blades.

What a coincidence, I just got around to sampling one of these this morning. It was ok, some drag but it did the job. Racer super platinum/Big Ben/Rainbow were better.

Day #3 and still going strong - it's definitely good enough to use as a daily beater blade
If I get a good shave with it tomorrow it will be a go to blade

Shave #4 went well - even with the dreaded Micro Touch One !!
Even if the blade starts tugging after a few strokes on shave #5 tomorrow, no big deal - my comfort zone is usually only 4 good shaves with any blade

[MENTION=108689]adamchur[/MENTION] :thumbup1: Looking good Adam! And obviously we're keen to see how #5 goes for you.

^ :biggrin1: Keep us posted Adam.

Your

Opinion to me is interesting. Definetly keep me posted. I am about to try Racer Super Stainless. I keep finding more bad wilkinson blades.

@adamchur :thumbup1: Looking good Adam! And obviously we're keen to see how #5 goes for you.

Shave #5 this morning
To give it the fairest crack of the whip possible, I used it in my Windrose D-9 Chunky / Generic Scalloped Safety Bar Head - one of my go to razors, and also a "control" razor when trying out blades
attachment.php

It did the job, but it tugged and pulled from the 2nd pass onwards
I did all 3 passes, WTG, XTG & ATG and 2 buffing passes under the jawline, it wasn't very comfortable and not much fun
It reminded my of the 4th shave whenever I used a Feather blade

In conclusion...........
Silver Star are now right up there along with the rest of my best blades, all of which are good for 4 very good shaves per blade, but a 5th shave is never much fun.........
Bic Chrome Platinum, Gillette 7 O'Clock Permasharp, Gillette 7 O'Clock SharpEdge, German Wilkinson Sword, Personna Platinum Chrome, Racer Super Class Platinum & Zaza Supreme Stainless

I could get 4 shaves per blade whenever I used Feather blades, but the price made them prohibitively expensive
I got 4 very good shaves from the Silver Star and only left my comfort zone when I tried for a 5th shave this morning, and Silver Star are probably the cheapest quality blades on the market
(especially at the crazy low price that universal_exports2020 charges on eBay)

http://www.ebay.es/usr/universal_exports2020?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2754

IMHO - Silver Star are better than Feather blades

Attachments

• $20160903_105103.jpg
    $20160903_105103.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 206
An excellent blade. After the first stroke it was apparent that this blade would be special. I never throught any blade would displace the Gillette Silver Blue but this Silver Star has moved into number one place for me. The equal to the Russian Gillette, a premium blade at a budget price.

Shave #5 this morning
To give it the fairest crack of the whip possible, I used it in my Windrose D-9 Chunky / Generic Scalloped Safety Bar Head - one of my go to razors, and also a "control" razor when trying out blades
attachment.php

It did the job, but it tugged and pulled from the 2nd pass onwards
I did all 3 passes, WTG, XTG & ATG and 2 buffing passes under the jawline, it wasn't very comfortable and not much fun
It reminded my of the 4th shave whenever I used a Feather blade

In conclusion...........
Silver Star are now right up there along with the rest of my best blades, all of which are good for 4 very good shaves per blade, but a 5th shave is never much fun.........
Bic Chrome Platinum, Gillette 7 O'Clock Permasharp, Gillette 7 O'Clock SharpEdge, German Wilkinson Sword, Personna Platinum Chrome, Racer Super Class Platinum & Zaza Supreme Stainless

I could get 4 shaves per blade whenever I used Feather blades, but the price made them prohibitively expensive
I got 4 very good shaves from the Silver Star and only left my comfort zone when I tried for a 5th shave this morning, and Silver Star are probably the cheapest quality blades on the market
(especially at the crazy low price that universal_exports2020 charges on eBay)

http://www.ebay.es/usr/universal_exports2020?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2754

IMHO - Silver Star are better than Feather blades

Cool!

Thanks Adam. I think they are Excellent for the price. Egyptian blades are my favorite. Sorry for the late post.

Top Bottom