What's new

Proper Technique for Shave Oil???

I picked up some shave oil from the groominglounge.com What is the proper technique?

Do I use it as a mid pass rub?
or
Do I mix in my lather?

I have found when giving shaves and for myself to after the shower apply shave oil leave on for 5 minutes or so then reapply water to face then shave as you would normally. for better results get a hand towel nice and hot ring out water and drape or hold over beard area after shave oil applied for 2 to 5 minutes then re wet face. and shave as usual with lather and razor

Another option is to use it as part of your beard prep activity. Get your face wet/steamed/warm/etc. for two minutes, and then add three or four drops to your hand and work the oil into your beard. It's easy to use too much and have a sticky or sloppy mess.

As I found, you aren't necessarily trying to protect from cuts as much as make your beard easier to slice. You may find that face lathering reduces the effectiveness of this technique, compared to bowl lathering and then applying the lather with a brush over your prepped skin.

Ive been using Art of shaving oil. First Id take a nickle size puddle in the palm of my hand and rub it into my neck (only place I need the extra help) but then after first two passes, i cant tell the oil is there and the first two passes are easy its the nexst two where I really need the help. So then I tried 2 passes, rinse, hydrate, oil, lather and shave for last two passes. This seemed to work even better. But what I just did today which has given me my best results yet, is to use Proraso pre/post shave cream instead of oil before my shave. Wow what a difference. almost to the point I wonder if I just didn't luck out and nail my technique this morning....

I have found when giving shaves and for myself to after the shower apply shave oil leave on for 5 minutes or so then reapply water to face then shave as you would normally. for better results get a hand towel nice and hot ring out water and drape or hold over beard area after shave oil applied for 2 to 5 minutes then re wet face. and shave as usual with lather and razor

This is pretty much what I do.

Hot Shower with Hair Conditioner on my beard...Exit Shower, and apply pre-shave oil. Work up a lather, 2 rounds of hot towels, work in the lather (wait a few minutes) and start slicing and dicing....

Personally - what I found was best (for me) was to be in the shower for a couple of minutes already and to have run my face under the water for a bit. Get my face warm and start some water soaking into the hairs.

I then put a tiny amount of oil into my hands (nickel sized?) and work it into the hairs on my face.

I then go about my usual showering tasks, Wash body, wash hair. 3-4 minutes or so.

Then get my wash cloth nice and soaked and lay that over my face for about a minute. then rinse off completely and run my face under the water again for a few moments to rinse off any excess oil.

The feeling of my facial hair before I do this is usually rough and scratchy. After it is much much smoother and not rough feeling at all. makes my shave much much easier when I use this routine.

I tend to use a bit of oil if im in a hurry and dont have time for a good steam in the shower.

I rub a bit into my beard while i prep my kit , then i give myself a hot flannel round then lather away.

Its not perfect , but helps take some of the edge off a rush job.

I usually do a hot towel prep... Lather up my face... then put a hot towel over top of the lather... wait about 3 min and then rinse off the lather w/ hot water... then I apply shaving oil to my face and wash my hands then relather over top of the oil... I don't reapply the oil after the 1st pass and have been getting BBS shaves w/ no irritation....

Top Bottom