What's new

Dress Shirts

High end: Overton Customs
Dept store: Meeting Street (found at Belk) or Roundtree & Yorke (found at Dillard)

Usually white. I love white shirts. Most of my dress shirts are white button-down Meeting Street, as I like to wear them with or without a tie. I don't have many spread/point/tab collar shirts because I only wear them with ties and I don't have much occasion to "dress up" anymore. I work with kids all day.

Plan time to go browsing at a few local outlet stores (TJ Maxx, Ross, Marshall's, etc.). You will get a pretty good idea what is the best bargain and what meet's your taste. I've seen some pretty nice designer name shirts for under $20.

Wherever you get your shirts. . .GET MEASURED FIRST!

I found out that I have unusually long arms and I usually have to go to men's stores who carry a wide range of sizes (and know what they are doing).

I got measured once in Macy's and the guy was like. . ."you got some long arms" 37 . . .I have one in stock :eek: one shirt

Then I went to a high end men's store in Delaware http://www.wrightandsimon.com/ and told them I had 37 arms. . .
sales guy: "you rascal you do have some long arms!" :lol:

at this time I was feeling a bit like a neanderthal. . .

the men's store had a great selection though. . .and it is now where I buy

my suits and dress shirts. :001_smile

Wherever you get your shirts. . .GET MEASURED FIRST!

I found out that I have unusually long arms and I usually have to go to men's stores who carry a wide range of sizes (and know what they are doing).

I got measured once in Macy's and the guy was like. . ."you got some long arms" 37 . . .I have one in stock :eek: one shirt

Then I went to a high end men's store in Delaware http://www.wrightandsimon.com/ and told them I had 37 arms. . .
sales guy: "you rascal you do have some long arms!" :lol:

at this time I was feeling a bit like a neanderthal. . .

the men's store had a great selection though. . .and it is now where I buy

my suits and dress shirts. :001_smile

I wear a 17/37 button cuff and 17/38 french cuff. The dept store brands I mentioned usually have 17/37 but I have to look carefully. 17/38 is entirely a custom order.

+1 on Outlet stores, I've gotten some pretty good deals there. Also if you know your measurements Ebay is also a good place to look. I got an IKE Behar that was worn once for $12 shipped.

Brooks Brothers
Paul Stuart
Gitman Brothers
Ben Silver

These four among others but they are my favorite.

Geoffry Beene Dress shirts fit me well, French Cuffs are becoming my Trademark. I like the extra option of choosing Cuff Links or Silk Knots...I shop at Macy's.

French cuffs are my preferred. But I have to be able to afford them.

Loehmann's recently had a nice supply (in my size) for nearly a third off the retail price. I stocked up on three of them.

Otherwise, I've always preferred Perry Ellis Portfolio from Ross or Marshall's. Sadly, they've been impossible to find at the discount stores for the past few years.

While I love Brooks Brothers' version of a no wrinkle shirt, the price is more than I am willing to pay unless on sale/closeout (okay, I'm cheap!). My favorites (all pinpoint and 100% cotton):
  1. Joseph A. Bank (buy during the twice a year 50% off sale before Fathers' Day or Christmas and if you get their Corporate Card you can buy them from under $30 each versus normal retail of $75). The shirts look great all day.
  2. Eagle (hard to find but available online or sometimes at TJMaxx or Marshalls).
  3. JCPenney Stafford Executive (available online only) and typically about $25 per shirt. These are very good but not quite up to the other two.
If you read Consumer Reports, they recommend #1 and #3 above.

Rick

Stafford Wrinkle Free from JC Penney if you can get them on some kind of sale. Best wrinkle-free shirts out there. At least that my family has found.

penny's has a sale on (or did over the weekend) by one and get one for 88 cents; wonder if that sale is still on......

I recommend Charles tyrwhitt, they have nice fitting shirts and always a big selection in their clearance section.

Being a short Italian that is rather well built, I have a hard time with shirts. My neck and shoulders a large, but I'm only 5'6"... If I buy a shirt off the rack it is a 16 1/2 or 17 by 31/32. Problem is, most shirts in that size range are made for people that look like bowling balls.

I have had some luck with Calvin Klein's slim fit line.

BUT, as far as I'm concerned, I'm not going to buy another shirt that isn't tailored. The way I see it, most times you're easily going to spend $40-50 on a nice dress shirt.... EASY. If you can find a good tailor in your area, most will make you a shirt for around $60-$70. They measure your torso (mine takes 12 measurements), and fit the shirt exactly to your body. You can pick the fabric, options, style, etc. You end up with a shirt that fits you perfectly, with the exact look and style that you like. Even better, after the first measurement, they usually don't even need to measure you again, they just go on the old sizes, assuming you haven't gained a lot of weight.

Just and FYI, one little perk of a tailored shirt that I didn't notice until I had one. I'm left handed, and wear my watch on my left hand. The tailor makes the left cuff slightly larger than the right, so that both sleeves fall to the same length, and the cuff doesn't catch on the watch. Something that you don't really notice until you have it. In my opinion, well worth the extra few bucks for something I wear daily....

I like shirts from Jos. A. Bank. They're great!

+1 Jos A Banks has a Travelors series that cant be beat. Wait for a sale as they are a little pricey. As an attorney, I wear collared shirts daily and they are always in my rotation. Resist wrinkles which is very important in Texas heat and humidity.

I wear a bit of everything. Calvin Klein, Tommy Hilfiger, Tailorbyrd, Pronto Uomo (Mens Wearhouse brand), Banana Republic, Cambridge Classics (Mervyns I think - my wife buys them), Marona (Target brand), etc. Just make sure they're cotton. I have a couple shirts that are a polyester blend (Yeah, yeah... I know) and they're awful to wear. Awful.

I just picked up some new shirts today, too!
proxy.php

+1 to checking outlet stores. You can find some really good deals ($100+ shirts for $40 or so as an example). Search around and you'll find tons of amazing stuff. Brooks Brothers is having a sale right now - 3 shirts for $150 and their styles are really cool.

Top Bottom