What's new

Wife Finds A Schick Type E2?

My bride surprised me with three razors from an estate sale today. (The other two are straights)
This is the Schick which I believe is a Type E2 (1935-1945)?
It is a bit dirty, however everything seems intact. It even has an older looking brass blade key.
How old is the blade dispenser...or is there a way to tell? The patent numbers are the same for the razor and dispensers, 1806087.
Can the old blades be used?

$IMG_0007.jpg$IMG_0009.jpg$IMG_0010.jpg$IMG_0011.jpg

This is the second one I have handled, I found one a while back that looked similar, but with a hard case. That one is now in the hands of another B&B member.
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/500561-Cased-Schick-Injector?p=8505532#post8505532

Starting to think I should at least give one a try...especially since it was a 50th birthday gift from my bride.

Last edited:

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
My bride surprised me with three razors from an estate sale today. (The other two are straights)
This is the Schick which I believe is a Type E2 (1935-1945)?
It is a bit dirty, however everything seems intact. It even has an older looking brass blade key.
How old is the blade dispenser...or is there a way to tell? The patent numbers are the same for the razor and dispensers, 1806087.
Can the old blades be used?

View attachment 698831View attachment 698832View attachment 698833View attachment 698834

This is the second one I have handled, I found one a while back that looked similar, but with a hard case. That one is now in the hands of another B&B member.
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/500561-Cased-Schick-Injector?p=8505532#post8505532

Starting to think I should at least give one a try...especially since it was a 50th birthday gift from my bride.
Yes, you have to give them a try, and report back! PS: reading Tozer reminds me of reading the book of Romans..... Every time I read it I learn something new!

PS: reading Tozer reminds me of reading the book of Romans..... Every time I read it I learn something new!

I totally agree, I am currently reading through "Pursuit of God" and "Knowledge of the Holy" for the third time. The wisdom keeps pouring from the pages.

As to the razor blades...have you ever used vintage Schick blades?

The E2 is an excellent razor, and you should try it. I wouldn't use the blades, though--they are carbon steel and very old. Just keep them for display. Get yourself some Schick blades from Amazon or eBay. They are more costly than DE blades, but will outlast them several times.

Any E injector is going to be a handful just by itself. Now were you to combine that level of blade exposure with decades old carbon steel blades my suspicion is that experiment is not going to end well. Get some modern production Pella or Chick blades and admire the vintage injector :)

FarmerTan

I totally agree, I am currently reading through "Pursuit of God" and "Knowledge of the Holy" for the third time. The wisdom keeps pouring from the pages.

As to the razor blades...have you ever used vintage Schick blades?

lol, funny you should asked.... I have shaved with a vintage Schick blade, once. It was in the antique when I bought it! Looks just like the one in your top photo by the way. It shaved wonderfully, that one time. The next shave I couldn't finish as it tried to turn my flesh into hamburger. My theory: it was placed into the razor eons ago by the former owner, never used, and I had the first shave. Then it dulled immediately. Does anyone know if carbon steel can do this? I mean, my beard is tough, but not like copper wire tough....

@FarmerTan I think I will pass on trying the blades...I have heard/read that old carbon steel blades are not great because of oxidation which removes most of the edge.

Hey...I just noticed your location; my Uncle Gary and his family live in or around Pontiac, Northville and Atlanta, Michigan.

Last edited:

FarmerTan

@FarmerTan I think I will pass on trying the blades...I have heard/read that old carbon steel blades are not great because of oxidation which removes most of the edge.

Hey...I just noticed your location; my Uncle Gary and his family live in or around Pontiac, Northville and Atlanta, Michigan.
Small world. I have a cousin Gary in Plymouth, MI, lol.

One day I'll probably test a vintage injector blade in a G just to see what it's like but no way would I try one in an E, at least pending the results of the G experiment.

I have used late 20's era 3 hole carbon steel blade brand new in the wrapper and it was very rough, actually impossible to shave with. A later experiment involved stropping another brand new out of the wrapper NOS 3 hole carbon steel Gillette blade with a Twinplex strop and it actually enabled me to complete the shave but was still miles behind a new production stainless steel blade in terms of sharpness and smoothness.

Okay, I purchased two E types on the bay.
Everyone I found was out of injector blades. So, I thought what the heck try one of the originals in the infector that came with the razor.
The shave was horrible, 2-3 stokes on my face and I had to change razors.
Finally was able to get new blades from Maggards. Popped one in the razor.
They shave like a dream!

Bit of a health hiccup and having celebrated my 50th birthday...I had to start a couple of meds as a reward today.:mad3:
Arrived home and had a happy surprise of some new Schick blades. Feeling like I deserved a little pick me up soooo...
since I rushed the shave this morning and used my dying electric (audible gasp expected), I popped a blade in the Schick E Type and proceeded to reduce the stubble. 25 minutes later, with the help of...La Toja stick and my custom finest badger brush...

My oh my...what an amazingly close shave. I may have a new medical bill and new meds, but I have a great razor and an amazing wife and family. I really do not have much to complain about.

Top Bottom