What's new

Breaking out...why?

As of late, I have developed zits (not ingrown hairs) on my chin area, right below my bottom lip. I normally don't have acne problems of this magnitude, although I did as a teen. When this happens, it is in response to something.

In the past couple of weeks, the two changes in my face/shave routine are razor and cream. I have a Fat Boy with a bit of plating loss/brassing/rust on one of the silo doors nearest the blade. I also have a tube of Bigelow cream.

When I used Proraso for the first time, I never had breakout issues. The only cream that's bothered me is UK Palmolive. Is Bigelow the exact same formula?

I suspect the razor...have any of you guys experienced a razor causing breakout? The finish defects on the silo doors leave me wondering.

Have you disinfected the razor? If you don't have access to something like barbicide then maybe you should put a little rubbing alcohol (I dilute it a bit more) on the razor and let it air dry.

I cleaned the Fat Boy like I do all my razors, which includes a soak in alcohol and overnight dry.

if by break outs, you mean acne looking irritation each around the center of a hair, it could be folliculitis, which is an infection of the hair follicle. the most common cause of this is staph bacteria which lives on hands, face, nose and can be spread around by the razor.

try this. go to the drugstore and spend $2 on a bottle of 70% isopropyl alcohol and a little empty travel spray bottle. spritz both exposed blades and guard with the alcohol a few minutes before shaving and let it dry. this will disinfect the blade before using and can really help clear up this problem.

because i'm a dork, i also added some tea tree oil to my alcohol since tea tree is a natural antiseptic. it solved my problem quickly and cheaply.

see if it doesn't for you as well!

Top Bottom