What's new

Shaving in a Hurry!

I would definitely classify myself as a leisurely shaver. If I'm short on time, chances are I'm either not shaving or not shaving well (razor burn aplenty).

Any tips on shaving on a time crunch?

Agreed, I would not rush a shave unless it was necessary (perhaps a job interview or an important meeting or something). I've tried a one pass shave on more than one occasion, and it's serviceable, even if the perfectionist in me wants a BBS. I would prep as normal (plenty of hot water) grab an efficient razor like a Fatip Grande or Ikon Tech with a Feather blade and do a one pass with clean-up.

I can do a DE shave in 3 minutes or a shavette shave in 7 minutes, with all preparations. But I wouldn't do that when I'm in a hurry. Either I don't shave at all or when it's really terrible important I shave in the car with an electrical razor.

By coincidence I overslept this morning and instead of my usual hour, I only had 30 minutes of bathroom time

I always load my choice of razor ready for my next shave while clearing down, so my 1980s Severodonetsk-1 Adjustable was good to go with a brand new German Wilkinson Sword blade.
I put warm water my Turkish Hammered Brass Mug and left my Synthetic Silvertip in it while using a hot facecloth
I emptied the mug, shook the brush and loaded it with Proraso White Soap and whipped up a quick bowl lather and lathered up.
My strokes were quicker than normal, but still methodical. I did WTG on #7, XTG on #6, ATG on #5 and did my buffing on #4
The cold facecloth was a big relief and the alum stung more than usual, but by the time I'd cleaned my kit, the alum had done it's job and the 2nd cold facecloth and Floid Vigaroso left my face feeling like a million dollars.

I prefer a more leisurely shave, but my face still felt smooth

I think the trick to shaving quickly is to use your best razor with one of your favourite blades, a synthetic brush if you've got one and a quick lathering soap like Proraso
Shaving quickly doesn't mean losing accuracy with your strokes
My face felt a bit more tender than normal, but no harm done

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I can shave in about 5 to 7 minutes. This is what I do when I dont have leisure time. I use soft croaps which load and lather very quickly. 15 seconds to load. 20 seconds to lather. (I count out the seconds like Busta does on his videos.) I use a Tech or other mild razor. I do two or three quick passes, with no touch ups. As mentioned above, I do passes quickly, but carefully and methodically. If you have your routine and technique down, then your muscle memory will kick in and provide an efficient and comfortable pass. I know a lot of you guys have barbed wire beards, so a Tech wont work for you. But I can use a Tech just fine, and its forgiving enough to let me shave quickly. Especially with an Astra SP or Voskhod. 5 to 7 minutes and Im done. However, I always prefer to take my time and enjoy my shave as much as possible.

At least two passes to me. Everytie. If in a real hurry at least one. But I cant afford to not mess with my soap and brush! LOL

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
No such thing as shaving in a hurry for me. If I'm short on time, I skip the shave.

First thing I do when I'm in a hurry is to lower my standards.

If its a work day, I just skip the shave.
If I'm going out on a date, I limit myself to 1-pass WTG.
CCS is all I'm shooting for, but I usually do better than that.

Skip using a brush, and just lather up any soap or cream by hand.
That will save you lots of time,
and neither your whiskers nor your razor will tell the difference.

Lastly, skip the cleanup ... just leave everything sitting there 'til you get back home.

Using these tactics and techniques, I can pull of a decent shave in under 2 minutes.

Top Bottom