What's new

To tie or not to tie?

It's not a job interview. it's an SAT and simulation test for a really great job. The document says "business casual". I have most of that under control. However, should I wear a tie? I'm not sitting in front of a board. Just testing. I am wearing brown slacks, light brown shoes and belt, and a plaid dress shirt. AND funky socks. Is this enough, gents? Or do I step it up with a tie?

If you are going to the employer or expect to see any potential co-workers, wear a tie and a solid color dress shirt.

If you are going to an off-site testing center and you will not see anyone from your potential employer, your chosen attire is OK.

If you walk in and see others wearing ties run back to your car. Take the jumper cables and knot them around your neck. Just don't start anything.

Last edited:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Ties can be removed if you get there and find it is not needed. I would skip the funky socks until you're hired.

I'd always plan on a tie for an interview. As stated above, you can always take it off easily if you get there and feel it's not needed. Always better to be over dressed than under dressed.

Since it's an employment situation, wear a tie. It can't hurt. Nobody will criticize you for demonstrating you want the job.

I agree wear the tie and drop the socks. Note once you are on the premise assume you're being interviewed at all times. (Even before!)

Opportunities are hard to find today you don't want to miss it for something minor or inadvertent.

-Stephen

Great advice all! I've dropped the socks for brown. Keeping with the plaid dress shirt. I have a tie that pairs with it well. Thank you for your input.

If you are going to the employer or expect to see any potential co-workers, wear a tie and a solid color dress shirt.

If you are going to an off-site testing center and you will not see anyone from your potential employer, your chosen attire is OK.

I agree with this advice and would have offered the same.

Tim

Successful day! Performed well and read the email that business casual was the dress code. Aparently a few didn't bother to read that. ANY edge, I'll take it. THANKS again all.

FWIW, there were no ties to be seen. Did a little steak out and went with my gut, on leaving it in the car.

Last edited:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Whats a tie?

proxy.php

Whats a tie?
53 years old and never owned one or wore one.
Good luck on the possible interview outcome.
Think it's short for Tie Down.
As in strap or chain used on flat deck trucks.

Or maybe it's just late and I'm getting punchy.....

"...the more people I meet,
the more I like my dog......"

I get it now. Thanks for clearing that up.

Sorry guys. Was having a bad day yesterday. Guess i thought i needed to be a smart a...

The gentlemen that put on ties have a place in this world. They normally are the ones that make money with the head and not the hands. I'll try to contain myself next time. And btw, ive never put on a suit either! Ha. Hope it all turns out for the best for ya @dws.

I get it now. Thanks for clearing that up.

Sorry guys. Was having a bad day yesterday. Guess i thought i needed to be a smart a...

The gentlemen that put on ties have a place in this world. They normally are the ones that make money with the head and not the hands. I'll try to contain myself next time. And btw, ive never put on a suit either! Ha. Hope it all turns out for the best for ya @dws.

Well thanks. I'm not entirely sure what the saltiness was for, as I was just asking folks if I should wear a tie or not. Clearly I did not know enough about the dress code, to warrant me asking the people who might know. I'm not a truck driver. The job (that I want) requires business casual to have it. Glad you've found a job (that you want) that doesn't require the dress code, as you would clearly be uncomfortable with it. Which I am not. I have worked with my hands for the last 20 years and am looking for a complete career change. Let's not assume what people do for their livings here. Let alone slam those who are trying to educate themselves in trying to get there.

PS... Funny one, Doc4! I lol'd

Last edited:

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Sir, with a tie the overall look will definitely be more refined. No matter if you dress in an elegant or more casual way, there are ties for any situation.

What's the testing? They may have suggested business casual if a tie might interfere with performance of the test. Of course, you could always take it off.

Top Bottom