What's new

Technique, razor, or both

So, I've been enjoying learning the process of DE shaving for a little over two months now and am certainly improving my ability to use my razor effectively. I've learned the importance of preparation in hydrating my face and stubble, building up a good slick lather, and have only nicked myself once thus far. My question here is related to the fact that I'm getting good smooth shaves most days with my more aggressive razors: slim on 7, fatboy on 6, and I just got a great shave from my Rockwell 6S on plate R4, but any lower with those adjustables or my EJ89 just don't provide a close shave. Is this related to my technique, my beard and skin, both, or some other factor I'm not considering? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Wow, for two months, you have some great razors. I would guess that most of your issues are about practice,although the ej89 may not be as close of a shave regardless of the technique. Welcome to B&B.

It's hard to say as you didn't describe what your beard is like, your shaving routine, or what blades you are using. For example, I have a medium beard, I do a three-pass shave (WTG, XTG, ATG) with touch-ups, and with a Feather blade in my DE89 I can get a BBS almost every time.

Thanks for the reminder, xxvaleria. I typically shower before shaving, use Astra SP blades, use Proraso green, and do a 3 pass shave in the same order you mentioned with a little buffing as well. I should probably try different blades in my razors instead of having a "one blade fits all" mentality.

I should also mention I keep a beard and only shave my neck and shape my cheeks. As to my beard, I'm not certain how to describe it precisely. The beard I allow to grow is thick without any patchiness, and my neck hair is moderately thick with two "rosettes" of growth on opposite sides of my neck. Those are the areas I find most difficult to effectively cut smoothly.

I would venture to guess that it's more the choice of razor than the technique. Technique can always improve, but for some people a more aggressive razor will yield a closer shave than a mild razor. The DE89 is quite mild, and I get seriously comfortable shaves from mine, but it isn't the closest and longest lasting shave. Sounds like you're doing well for only 2 months in. Congrats!

I have the same two spots on my neck that grow in all directions. I find I have to use an agressive razor (H2 ATT) with a comfortable blade (GSB). Also be sure to go in all four directions in that area and then one more pass over those areas ATG one more time to get clean as a touch up. And that direction is at an angle to my neck. So it is a bit of a pain but a more agressive razor works well for me. Be sure to pull the skin when working those spots. The 89 does ok but I know I'm not going to get anywhere close to BBS with it.

Forgot to say I'm the same as you with a beard. 90% of my shaving is the neck. Plus trimming on the cheeks. And I like to touch up the spots under my lower lip, so I know how you feel. I keep thinking of going with just a goatee but I've been with the same face hair for 20 plus years so its hard to change.

Last edited:
I often wonder how someone with a beard can't get a close shave. :) I've considered growing a goatee since that eliminates the hardest part of shaving (especially for shaving with a straight razor).

Three passes, using a DE and it's still not close enough and you're only shaving your neck? :)

When I started out 5 years ago I thought it was all about the blade and razor. After a year or so and ongoing IMO/IME... I believe the shave is about 80% technique, your own touch and technique. I can shave well now with about any razor and blade I have including blades I shunned at the beginning. Good luck.

When I started out 5 years ago I thought it was all about the blade and razor. After a year or so and ongoing IMO/IME... I believe the shave is about 80% technique, your own touch and technique. I can shave well now with about any razor and blade I have including blades I shunned at the beginning. Good luck.

I agree completely. An aggressive razor allows a larger range of effective blade angles, which makes it easier to shave close with them. I could only get close shaves with aggressive razors early on. These days, I can get as close with a Tech as a Fatboy on 8.

I think this hits the mark. You have to be more precise with mild razors and get to know their characteristics. This is almost always possible, but can take time and involve some less than perfect shaves.

I often wonder how someone with a beard can't get a close shave. :) I've considered growing a goatee since that eliminates the hardest part of shaving (especially for shaving with a straight razor).

Three passes, using a DE and it's still not close enough and you're only shaving your neck? :)

As I said in my initial post, my question is not related to whether or not I can get a close shave (I indicated that I'm able to do that) but whether it is my technique or the qualities of the razor or my beard or another factor that keeps me from getting a close shave without using a more aggressive razor or higher settings on my adjustables. Based on what most people have reflected here, it appears I'm probably just not that efficient a shaver with a DE razor as yet. That does make sense considering I'm still new to the process. I've read on the forums how some shavers find they can shave closely with most razors while others find only the more aggressive razors effective in getting a close shave. I don't doubt there are many factors affecting how efficient a shaver is with any razor, but it's logical that the common factor in any shave, the shaver (and his or her technique), is the greatest determining factor in how close the shave is. Thank you to everyone that has commented so far. You're really helping me think this through.

Speaking as someone even newer to wet shaving and still very much a beginner, I think introducing so many razor variables into the equation might be an impediment to progress on technique. I totally understand the attraction of trying new toys but I think sticking to one razor and just the Astra SP blades for the next month or two might expedite the learning process.

Thanks for the reminder, xxvaleria. I typically shower before shaving, use Astra SP blades, use Proraso green, and do a 3 pass shave in the same order you mentioned with a little buffing as well. I should probably try different blades in my razors instead of having a "one blade fits all" mentality.

Try different blades. I currently prefer more aggressive razors and manage consistent BBS shaves with many different kinds of blades in them. When I was actively trying out different blades in mild razors as a beginner to DEs (I went SE, SR, and then DE), I couldn't manage a BBS with the Astra SP. The Astra SP is a fine blade and gave me a good shave, but not a BBS. Blades are very YMMV.

Thank you to all the posters in this thread for your excellent advice! I'm going to keep working with the Rockwell 6S with plate R4 and Astra SP blades over the next few weeks until my technique improves further and then branch out to other blades. After that trial, I'll move to using my DE89 with feathers if they agree with my use in the 6S. Hopefully by that time I will have developed the skill necessary to use a variety of blades effectively. Thanks again!

Thank you to all the posters in this thread for your excellent advice! I'm going to keep working with the Rockwell 6S with plate R4 and Astra SP blades over the next few weeks until my technique improves further and then branch out to other blades. After that trial, I'll move to using my DE89 with feathers if they agree with my use in the 6S. Hopefully by that time I will have developed the skill necessary to use a variety of blades effectively. Thanks again!
keep us updated

Hi
I think it's mainly technique, it looks like you've found the best settings for you on adjustables - I dial down with each subsequent pass and only use the lower settings on mine for buffing
I'm not familiar with the EJ89 - it could just be be a mild razor, but when your technique improves you'll probably find you're getting better results

This about sums up where I'm at right now, well said!

Top Bottom