What's new

The best dress shoes at an Affordable Price.

I have a dress shoe collection of a dozen pair of quality dress shoes I purchased on Ebay for one third the price of new. I have AEs, Florsheim, Alden and Hanover. Look for new old stock or like new used from estate sales. I like the old Florsheims best. only buy the vintage with the interior green stitching. These sizes fun tru to size and most sellers accept returns.

You'll get better shoes than new for one third the price, and it's fun. More and more of us are doing it.

My first pair of quality dress shoes were AE Fifth Avenues bought in San Francisco 1977 for $125. I bought a pair of Park Avenues in 1992 for $280. Both were detroyed in a car fire. I just received an AE catalog and thankfully was sitting down when I looked at prices.

I found AE in the 1970 and was to much a snob to even try other quality brand. Since then I have found I rate Alden and vintage Florsheim (with the green interior stitching) higher. Nothing wrong with AE, I just like the others better.,

But do consider trying a pair via Ebay. I have twelve great pairs of quality shoes because I shopped and had the patience to wait for a deal. A good place to learn more is at a web site called "Vcleat."

I prefer new shoes so that can mold to my feet. My favorites are Carmina, Crockett & Jones, Edward Green, G&G, Crispins or Alden shoes.

I'd agree looking at used AE's are good. However when I need a cheap (under $100) especially quick, I generally have had good luck with rockports. I generally don't expect more than a year or two out of them, depending on the type of sole they have, but most all of them incorporate my orthotic and generally hold up reasonably well. Mind I could wait and pay $200-300 for a pair of shoes that would last me the rest of my life but, in the line of work I do, sometimes having shoes that are somewhat disposable isn't a bad thing.

I have bought my last 5 pair of dress and casual shoes on eBay. 2 AE Graysons, 1 Alden for Brooks Brothers tassel loafers, 2 pair Cole-Haan pinch buckle. All with original soles and some light wear. Probably saved me $800-900 over buying new and all work great.

I have a dress shoe collection of a dozen pair of quality dress shoes I purchased on Ebay for one third the price of new. I have AEs, Florsheim, Alden and Hanover. Look for new old stock or like new used from estate sales. I like the old Florsheims best. only buy the vintage with the interior green stitching. These sizes fun tru to size and most sellers accept returns.

You'll get better shoes than new for one third the price, and it's fun. More and more of us are doing it.

I just picked up my first pair of eBay shoes. AE Jodox. They were very reasonably priced and in great shape. The left foot bed doesn't feel right yet, but I'm sure after a couple more wearings, it will be fine.

I have a pair of Cole Haan's that I truly love. I am on my second or third (?) pair. I usually wear them until the sole wears out, which is several years. The MSRP on these shoes is $300, but I pick them up at DSW for $99.99. They are a loafer and get worn a lot. I really need to check out what it would cost (both in time and $) to have the soles replaced. Talk about a dying art. Especially for shoes with leather soles like these Cole Haan's. My current pair is beginning to show wear through.

shoebank.com for AE seconds. Great prices and customer service is top notch.

For those that are bargain hunters, this seller on ebay (no affiliation) has great deals on new and gently used AE shoes. I've bought a few and no issues. You just need to know your size.

Also, a nice alternative for the european cut is meermin.es. Great shoes for a decent price. Highly recommended.

Top Bottom