What's new

Food Nostalgia

The lard thread got me thinking about dishes I used to enjoy but haven't had in years. Maybe they aren't available anymore or maybe for some other reason I can't get them. I remember some things that my grandmothers cooked that I haven't had since they passed. And some restaurants that I liked that have closed or I moved away.

Any foods that you remember and miss?

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
The Carnegie Deli is closing on 12/31/16 and I miss it already.

Liver pudding/liver mush. Used to eat it with my grandparents. When I got older and figured out the ingredients, I stopped eating it.

The Carnegie Deli is closing on 12/31/16 and I miss it already.
One of so very many dining experiences lost to time and forgotten by generations who never experienced their fine works and great customer services.

My Mother grew up during the depression when money was dear. Her idea of comfort food involved stretching a dollar. As a kid, I enjoyed everything that she cooked, but only a few of those dishes are served by her adult children.

Cooked by her children today:

Macaroni & Cheese
American Chop Suey
Meat Loaf

Recipes Not cooked by her children

Fried Spam
Fried Bologna
Chipped Beef on Toast
Liver and Onions

This doesn't count as a recipe, but a peculiar eating habit that I haven't met anyone who repeats it.

After a Sunday Roast Beef dinner, a loaf of white bread would be brought to the table. The leftover Roast Beef would be brought to the kitchen, leaving the platter filled with the red Roast Beef juices, only the kids would each take a slice of white bread and soak up the Roast Beef juices, placing the slice on a plate and eat it with a fork. We called it "Bread in Red".

My mother's pasta sauce. It contained the following meats: meatballs, pigs feet, lamb shanks, spareribs, sausage, and braciole. She would brown garlic and onions and put it a huge pot that contained tomatoes. She would then brown the meat and put that in the pot. All of that would simmer for hours.

As far as home food goes, Tomato Soup. Seemed to be something I was fed everywhere I went as a kid for some reason.

One thing, and I have no idea how as I was young then, but I remember well the taste and the slick feeling of my hands from the burger and skinny fries at Woolworth. I'd absolutely love to sit down at that counter again.

Chicken was $0.10/lb. We ate a lot of chicken but also a lot of organ meats because they were cheap. I loved beef tongue with raisin sauce and beef hearts stuffed with dressing. Nowadays you pay a premium for hearts and tongues. I still love liver and onions. The trick is to not overcook them. For a treat we took a lettuce leave and rolled it up with sugar inside.
I have a great recipe for S.O.S (**** on a shingle) that I still make occasionally.
BUT! the one thing I regret is that I don't have my Grandmother's Apple Potica recipe. My brother had it at one time but not anymore. I searched all ever the Internet but have never found one that seems to be similar. It was a moist dough that when she rolled it out covered the whole dinner table. It stayed moist after baking and is not a pastry crust like many other recipes.

Doug

My Mother grew up during the depression when money was dear. Her idea of comfort food involved stretching a dollar. As a kid, I enjoyed everything that she cooked, but only a few of those dishes are served by her adult children.

Cooked by her children today:

Macaroni & Cheese
American Chop Suey
Meat Loaf

Recipes Not cooked by her children

Fried Spam
Fried Bologna
Chipped Beef on Toast
Liver and Onions

This doesn't count as a recipe, but a peculiar eating habit that I haven't met anyone who repeats it.

After a Sunday Roast Beef dinner, a loaf of white bread would be brought to the table. The leftover Roast Beef would be brought to the kitchen, leaving the platter filled with the red Roast Beef juices, only the kids would each take a slice of white bread and soak up the Roast Beef juices, placing the slice on a plate and eat it with a fork. We called it "Bread in Red".

I resemble your remarks!

As for the bread in red, I would hazard a guess it is a homage to Yorkshire puddin's soaked in roast beef juices. In modern times you would typically bake up the puddings and then pour the beef 'leavings' over them whilst still piping hot. In older days when the beef would have been roasted over coals in an open fireplace or similar, the pudding batter would have been put under the roast spit and the juices that ran off would have dripped right into the batter and would have provided the fat for the batter mix. It would bake right under the roast. Very delicious that. Do you know your family's heritage? If from the British Isles and/or Ireland this would have been a very common serving...when you could afford meat. I suspect there is a Germanic version of such dishes as well. Rustic hearty dishes like this were common in most European cultures.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Chicken was $0.10/lb. We ate a lot of chicken but also a lot of organ meats because they were cheap. I loved beef tongue with raisin sauce and beef hearts stuffed with dressing. Nowadays you pay a premium for hearts and tongues. I still love liver and onions. The trick is to not overcook them. For a treat we took a lettuce leave and rolled it up with sugar inside.
I have a great recipe for S.O.S (**** on a shingle) that I still make occasionally.
BUT! the one thing I regret is that I don't have my Grandmother's Apple Potica recipe. My brother had it at one time but not anymore. I searched all ever the Internet but have never found one that seems to be similar. It was a moist dough that when she rolled it out covered the whole dinner table. It stayed moist after baking and is not a pastry crust like many other recipes.

Doug
Are you willing to share the SOS recipe?

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Somehow, my grandmother's recipes for chocolate cake and chocolate fudge were lost.

I've been working on a time machine, ever since.

Are you willing to share the SOS recipe?

Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 20 Minutes
Ready In: 30 Minutes
Servings: ~6

Ingredients:

1 pound ground beef
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 cube beef bouillon
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 pinch ground black pepper
2 1/4 cups Milk
1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

Directions:
Brown beef in a large skillet over medium high heat. Stir in flour, bouillon, salt and pepper. Sauté all together for about 5 minutes or until flour is absorbed. Gradually stir in milk and Worcestershire sauce. Bring all to a simmer, stirring constantly. Cook until thickened, about 5 to 10 minutes. Serve hot!

Optional: Brown some onion in bacon fat prior to beef.

Postum, that roasted grain instant hot beverage. You can't buy it in the stores here any more. I guess I'll have to break down and order some from Amazon.

My mother used to make a thing with dried salt cod, which was soaked and rinsed, then boiled and added to a white sauce of some sort. Throw in cut-up boiled eggs, and serve over mashed potatoes. Peas on the side are nice too. It's similar to (but not quite, because there's no onions) a New England states recipe, whose name escapes me. I'll have to get the recipe from her again.

Top Bottom