What's new

Favorite gel pen?

I've mainly used cheapie pens my whole life. I recently got interested in gel pens and did a little research. I ended up picking up some uniball signo 207s. I like them, but they aren't perfect. Every so often, they skip in the middle of letters.

What other gel pens would you all recommend? I am thinking of picking up a Pilot G2 and a PaperMate ColorJoy. Maybe an Energel. Any recommendations?

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
The Pilot you mentioned is my daily driver. I'm always writing doctors orders, etc. No complaints.

I've been using G2 pens at work lately, but they kept disappearing. I recently ordered a J. Herbin refillable rollerball and a mini converter. So far I like it. The ability to refill from a bottle of ink is very appealing. Noodler also has a refillable rollerball that I want to try. I'm still on the first converter fill, so I don't feel confident giving a detailed review of the pen.

Legion

Staff member
Get a Parker gell refill, and put it in a nice pen. There are plenty that take Parker size refills.

I like pilot Hi-tech C pens in .3mm but they can be easily damaged. Signo makes a rock solid gel pen and these days they are easy to get online. Most U.S. pens write too fat for me even if they are labeled micro or ultra fine.

I prefer a Parker Jotter with a Schmidt Easyflow 9000 refill (can be had from many vendors). While I don't think it is technically gel, it is the smoothest non-fountain pen that I have ever come across.

I've only had one Uniball Signo 207 skip. I think it was old. They become scratchier the finer the point. I like the ultra micro point for writing numbers and records, and the micro for general writing. The blue is also a bit lighter than I care for.

The G2 is a smooth writer, but unlike the 207 isn't fraud resistant. They can also leak on occasion. I cleaned the ink out of a plastic holder cup with isopropyl alcohol.

For those who like the G2 but don't like how they walk off, there's a cheaper gel pen, the Foray Celio in a fine point, that's a close second. Perfect for leaving out.

Uniball has another Signo pen you might want to try. The 307 looks plainer than the 207, but the blue ink is darker and, comparing to a same size point on a 207, seems to make a thicker line.

My favorite when I can't use a fountain pen is a Pilot Dr. Grip G2 gel pen.

$316TfAsiRnL._AC_US160_.jpg

I've picked up and used a number of pens since I first started this thread. My two favorites are:

1. Parker Jotter using the Schmidt Easyflow 9000 ink. The Parker ink was just ok. The Schmidt ink is awesome. This pen is now my favorite.

2. Pilot G2. I also really, really like this pen. I will definitely have them on hand.

Top Bottom