What's new

Expanding my soap experience with B@M

I ordered two samples today. I got lavanille and Seville from barrister and mann. I have mainly been a stirling guy and everyone talks about B@M.

I was going to get their bay rum since I was buying samples anyway but it was sold out. I have never tried a bay rum so I have no idea.

Barrister & Mann makes some very good soaps. Some of the scents are "love it or hate it" scents but the ones you chose seem to be appealing to a lot of people. I think you'll like it.

Seville is awesome. Probably my top "barbershop" scent and their new glissant base is awesome. My favorite b&m is Rhapsody if you ever get to give it a try when it comes around.

Well, I will agree. Lavanille smells like dirt. I haven't lathered it but, to be honest, it probably won't make it that far. Seville smells okay but I had issues getting the smell off my fingers from transferring the sample to a container.

I love what I have but trying to find new stuff that is a different profile is difficult. I even got a sample of tobs lemon lime from a container I got. You don't want to know what my wife says it smells like. I did get a really great shave from it, though.

Anyway, I am done with b@m. Seville will maybe get one try but I don't think I will like the final scent.

Stirling is still my go-to soap (Sharp Dressed Man and Executive Man are going to keep me going back to Stirling for a while), but I do have Lavanille, Beaudelaire, and Seville from B&M, and if I wasn't so sold on Stirling, B&M would definitely be a contender for first up to use when I'm picking soap.

The scents do seem to be a bit of an acquired taste -- I liked Lavanille and Seville right off the bat, but I'm still trying to get a good read on Beaudelaire. It's not to the point where I would PIF the puck, but I definitely need to get more shaves in with it so I can really get a handle on the scent.

The performance of the soap is top notch and it gives great shaves.

Stirling is my go to. I guess I need to try lavanille one time but smelling the soap was confusing. I know things change once lathered, sometimes.

I had a real problem with the smell of Lavanille when I first shaved with it. But that turned around by the third shave or so. Now I'm 3017ing a tub.

I was on the fence with leviathan at first. But now I friggin love it. The coffee scent just blasts everywhere.

How long does the scent last post shave?

If I don't use a different AS, it will last up to an hour of so. Occasionally I'll catch a whiff of scent after, but it's mostly gone reasonably quickly. It doesn't overwhelm other things if you use an AS.

I like Fireside and Adagio from B&M the most. As has been said and you have found out their scents can be very polarizing. They all perform fantastically though.

If I don't use a different AS, it will last up to an hour of so. Occasionally I'll catch a whiff of scent after, but it's mostly gone reasonably quickly. It doesn't overwhelm other things if you use an AS.
Thanks, I don't use AS and don't like scents to stick too long, at least not strongly. That limits my buying, a lot with the wife. I think Seville is a scent sticker and, too me, may be a barbershop type scent? I will be trying it later. If it's too strong I can mix it with an unscented soap I have.

Well, I will agree. Lavanille smells like dirt. I haven't lathered it but, to be honest, it probably won't make it that far. Seville smells okay but I had issues getting the smell off my fingers from transferring the sample to a container.

I love what I have but trying to find new stuff that is a different profile is difficult. I even got a sample of tobs lemon lime from a container I got. You don't want to know what my wife says it smells like. I did get a really great shave from it, though.

Anyway, I am done with b@m. Seville will maybe get one try but I don't think I will like the final scent.

B&M scents are often very complex. Don't expect them to be single noted Lime Oil, Orange etc. and no you can't get an idea of their scent from sniffing a sample. You should shave with both 3-4 times to get an idea. The biggest mistake I see in Wetshaving is when guys don't give their software and hardware a proper evaluation. Expand your olfactory horizons! I use to be a simple scent guy myself until a few years ago. I just had my first shave with B&M Hallows this morning and it blew my mind! This is an absoulte masterpiece.

I had a real problem with the smell of Lavanille when I first shaved with it. But that turned around by the third shave or so. Now I'm 3017ing a tub.
Yes, its like eating Cilantro the first time. You aren't sure you like it and after 3-4 times you like it! Have you tried Hallows yet? My God that blew my mind this morning after my first shave and aftershave.

Yes, its like eating Cilantro the first time. You aren't sure you like it and after 3-4 times you like it! Have you tried Hallows yet? My God that blew my mind this morning after my first shave and aftershave.
I haven't. I only have those two. We have to stop buying unneeded stuff for about 6 months. I have enough soap for that. I will be trying Seville today. My wife will let me know. I won't tell her it's something new. Should be interesting.

Top Bottom