What's new

Oldest tobacco you've ever smoked?

I just had an accidental cellaring incident! Years ago when I started smoking a pipe I had purchased some random tins. One of the tins I must not have cared for as much at the time was Rattray Marlin Flake. I just found the unsealed tin, and the tobacco wasn't dust. It's probably about 5 years old.

I'm going to try it tonight. I don't know if 5 years is really significant or not, but its will be the most aged tobacco that I've ever had.

What's the oldest tobacco you've ever smoked? What was it/how was it?

A drugstore blend that was ~60 years old at a pipe meet. I don't remember the name. It was a simple VA / burley blend that tasted nice and smooth with some age on it.

I also had a ~10 year old tins of GL Pease Cairo and McClelland Oriental Mixture (can't remember the number) that I picked up NOS from someone that used to own a pipe shop. Both of those were absolutely amazing.

Properly stored tins seem to age nicely.

The oldest I've ever smoked was some 35 year old MacBaren Dark Twist that [MENTION=48751]jiminyshiznit[/MENTION] brought to the Vegas pipe show last year. Pretty damned amazing. I've had the chance to try a couple other really aged tobaccos, and none of them have disappointed.

VA's and VAPers seem to benefit the most from aging, and Marlin Flake is one of my favorites. I just opened a tin from 2012 not too long ago, and it is just a dream to smoke.

Probably 10 years or so? I've found some old tins from B&M cigar stores that don't specialize in pipes. Those places rarely move any pipe tobacco, so it just sits for years and years and years.

35 plus year old Edgeworth and some other geezerly goods. A lot of blends I don't touch without at least five years if I can get away with it.

Last year a fellow member of the Dutch/ Belgian pipesmokersforum found a tin of W.D. & H.O. Wills Capstan that was probably from around the year 1900 or before, based on pictures in advertisements from that time. We had a large meeting where he brought the still sealed knifecutter-tin. It was opened and the tobacco that came out of it was as if it was produced last year. The contents where emptied into a mason jar to keep it in good condition. A few weeks later there was a surprise in my mailbox when I came home from work, an enveloppe containing some Capstan that was well over a hundred years old along with a nice letter about it's origens. When the time was right I settled down in my chair for a good tasting, and I was not dissapointed. The flavour reminded me the most of mulled wine, spicy but deliciously round and sweet.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Wow! I have nothing on you folks. I don't think I've smoked any pipe tobacco more than a few years old.

Now, I have had the pleasure of smoking older cigars.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Cigars count...tell us more!

+1 I've never had an old cigar. Inquiring minds want to know.

Well, I don't have a ton of experience with well-aged cigars, but I managed to steal away THIS AMAZING COLLECTION in last year's Saint Sue Auction. I've enjoyed a couple of nicely aged ones from there (although I almost cannot bring myself to even touch some of them--so special--might have to change, since they really probably are ready to go).

It's hard to give a quality report, since I did not smoke these babies when they first came out. However, it's certainly a very smooth, even, easy smoke that also is quite round and complex. If they had any bite, they were biting with their gums. Truly a beautiful smoking experience, along the lines of sipping a very fine, aged whisky or wine versus a younger one in some respects.

Now that the weather is getting so nice, I'll have to dip back into that treasure trove.

Nice! I didn't even realize cellaring tobacco was a thing until very recently, so I'm super intrigued by this whole aspect of the hobby.

Tried the Marlin Flake last nice. Wonderful flavor! The only thing I noticed was a bit of tongue bite/spice. I think more spice, because the "bite" went away quickly after I was done smoking. Not really sure. I haven't experience any substantial tongue bite since I stopped smoking aromatics.

Nice! I didn't even realize cellaring tobacco was a thing until very recently, so I'm super intrigued by this whole aspect of the hobby.

Tried the Marlin Flake last nice. Wonderful flavor! The only thing I noticed was a bit of tongue bite/spice. I think more spice, because the "bite" went away quickly after I was done smoking. Not really sure. I haven't experience any substantial tongue bite since I stopped smoking aromatics.

Marlin Flake does have a fair amount of perique, which does have a certain spiciness to it, but most of us consider that a good thing. :001_cool:

If you're getting a hint of bite, just slow it down and you'll find that goes away (and it tastes better too).

Mccranies red flake. Cellared in '08 by one of you fine gentleman. I smoke it about once a week. Besides that one everything I smoke is no older than 3 years.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I have a vacuum sealed sample of Prince Albert from 1954 that I was given a few years ago. I had forgotten about it for a long time and just recently stumbled across it again. The thought had crossed my mind to wait until 2054 to smoke it but then I did the math and realized I'd be 71 then, and I'm not really sure I want to press my luck for that long.

Several years ago I found 2 boxes of cigars made in Spain with cuban tobacco. They were forgotten on a shelf in the humidor. According to the label, they were about 25-30 years old. I managed to buy them at the original price that was on the box, really cheap.
I smoked a box (25 cigars), the other one went to my father in law. They were good cigars, smooth and flavorful, with no bitter taste.
Too bad at the time I was smoking also about 3 packs a day, so my taste buds were pretty shot.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I have divested myself of almost everything I ever had, save for a few old tins. Our last Susan G. Komen auction saw some McClelland Christmas Cheer with leaf dating back to the 90's on the block.

I'd be happy to contribute an aged tin to the cause, if Price would volunteer to divvy it up for you wacky kids.

Top Bottom