What's new

Anyone have had Absinthe before ?

I've been wanting to try it, but options are limited, and prices are all over the place. Don't want to waste money so never pulled the trigger.

only once - the st. george variety, so nothing to really compare it to. the one plus is that it's distilled only a few miles from where i live.

I have absente it's green. I don't care for the black licorice flavor and it's the only one I've tried. I keep it around for the novelty it's fun to do with the sugar cube and special spoon and to make for anyone who hasn't tried it. Come on over [MENTION=79907]BSAGuy[/MENTION]

Thanks for the invite, Doofus. Can you scan some and send it to my via .pdf? I do like licorice.

I have absente it's green. I don't care for the black licorice flavor and it's the only one I've tried. I keep it around for the novelty it's fun to do with the sugar cube and special spoon and to make for anyone who hasn't tried it. Come on over @BSAGuy

Yes.......unfortunately !!
I believe it's got nothing whatsoever in common with traditional Absinthe, but....
In Mallorca, Spain the Tunel distillery manufactures a particularly nasty rot-gut, labelled as Absinthe and aimed specifically at tourists.

It should be BANNED !!

It comes in Yellow, Blue, Green, Red and Black varieties as well as Clear, Blue, Green, Red and Black varieties of Cannibis Absinthe
They're basically all just coloured rot-gut alcohol, taste like raw spirit and burn your mouth, tongue, throat and guts when you drink them. And somewhat disturbingly, when you knock them back in summer, the empty shot glass is bone dry within 30 seconds - the alcohol residue evaporates very quickly in the heat !!
I wouldn't want to drink the stuff all night, the occasional shot as a chaser was enough for me to learn my lesson, as a side effect, your beer tastes like fizzy water just afterwards because the Absinthe kills your taste buds !!

I never put it to the test, but apparently if you top up Absinthe with Coca-Cola or Pepsi, it turns a greyish white - the drink is unofficially known as a "Bleacher"

I learned the hard way to be very wary of fellow workers who got in a round of shots - a very popular practical joke is to get in a round of yellow, blue, green or red Aftershocks - the buyer drinks straight Aftershock, his unsuspecting drinking partners get Aftershock mixed 50/50 with the same colour Absinthe - tastes nasty, burns your mouth, tongue, throat and guts, and gets you drunk too fast for comfort.

An old bar owners' trick to get rid of the last group of stragglers who just sit around talking among themselves over 30 minutes old drinks at closing time instead of drinking their drinks and ****ing off, is to offer them a free shot each - when the Absinthe takes effect, usually on the youngest or drunkest member of the group, you should see how fast they say goodnight and go back to their hotel !!
When they go back the following night and mention how strong their free shots were, the bar owners tend to tell them that they're probably just not used to it, state that they drink it all the time themselves, and just to cover themselves, they'll pour themselves a shot and drink it right in front of them !!
Of course the tourists are either too naive or too trusting to realise that the bar owner actually drank a shot of Aftershock !!

proxy.php
proxy.php

Incidentally, every colour of Absinthe is 80% ABV = 160 Proof

I say again, this stuff should be banned !!

Last edited:
I've only had two I can recall, the Amerique 1912 Verte and the revived Pernod. Although I didn't have them side-by-side I think I liked the Amerique slightly better. Delaware Phoenix and Pacifique are the ones I hear the most positive buzz about but both are kind of spendy and not all that easy to find.

I think the brands I saw were Lucid, for around $30 for a small bottle and Absente which has two different varieties, one for around $20 (with Van Gogh on the box) and one for around $40 or $50. Not sure why there was such a huge difference in price, but it made me leary to try either of them.

Any experience with those?

I think the brands I saw were Lucid, for around $30 for a small bottle and Absente which has two different varieties, one for around $20 (with Van Gogh on the box) and one for around $40 or $50. Not sure why there was such a huge difference in price, but it made me leary to try either of them.

Any experience with those?

I have not had either but the the extent that we can trust the site [MENTION=28956]malocchio[/MENTION] linked to Lucid sounds like the better bet of the two.

Lucid is a nice example of the product. A rich history of an herbal from Europe. Not a prime choice for my daily drink, but it's all about the sense of history and knowledge of our place with-in it. Certainly dilute for consumption.

It was legendary when I was in Japan. I had one shot, and stopped. I saw that elixir get so many sailors in big trouble with the Shore Patrol.

I had an absinthe drip at the Empire Bar in Broussard's, NOLA. I don't remember the brand. If you like Good n Plenty candy you'll like absinthe!

Yes....if you're going to invest in a quart of expensive absinthe , find a good absinthe tavern first , try a few shots of different absinthes over a period of time until you decide what brand and variety you like....

Top Bottom