What's new

Yet another "What is this razor" Thread

It does appear to say Pat. Apl'd For.

It does, I just don't know If I want to get it replated or leave it.

I also was thinking of getting rid of all my vintage (other then my SE) but again I don't know what all I have :blushing:

I would like to hear from a few more people who know more than I do, but I think you have a 1903-1904 Gillette Double Ring. Kind of a holy grail razor there. I would probably leave it as original as possible if it was me. Don't try to straighten the teeth yourself. You could probably send it out to a pro or at least get there opinions on whether to do it or not.

Yeah - really think that is what it is, which is cool might not do anything just because I would not want to ruin it. I also am not a collector (yet) I just pick up a few odds and ends. I have given away more then I have kept but this one is a bit different now

It does look more tarnished silver now that you mention that- but it also has what appears to be copper - whould the method mentioned hurt if there is copper involved?

Thanks

It's brass not copper. The baking soda and foil is the method I used on my Single Ring, and is what I would use again if I get another silver plated razor.

I would like to hear from a few more people who know more than I do, but I think you have a 1903-1904 Gillette Double Ring. Kind of a holy grail razor there. I would probably leave it as original as possible if it was me. Don't try to straighten the teeth yourself. You could probably send it out to a pro or at least get there opinions on whether to do it or not.

Yep, same here Troy.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Maybe [MENTION=3442]mr-razor[/MENTION] would be interested in taking a peek at it.

I would leave it as is or as stated above, do the baking soda method at most. It definitely looks like an early double ring to me.

Kindly,
Adam

Looks like a Gillette to me, I don't see anything that looks incorrect in any way. If it's a clone, it's the best one I've ever seen.

$IMAG1369.jpg$IMAG1370.jpg$IMAG1371.jpg

Started to come clean - which exposed a crack :mad3:

Bummer about the crack, but considering that razor is about as old as a Wright Flyer and has probably seen decades of use, I think it looks pretty good. That razor has about as much character as I've seen here. Thanks for showing us such a unique piece!

Bummer about the crack, but considering that razor is about as old as a Wright Flyer and has probably seen decades of use, I think it looks pretty good. That razor has about as much character as I've seen here. Thanks for showing us such a unique piece!

+1

I would clean it as gently as possible in order to retain it's character, find a nice way to display it and be the proud owner of a unique and seldom found legend of shaving history.

Of course prior to doing so I'd have to sneak in at least one well documented shave just to be able to say I did :)

Hi,

Actually, that crack is what tells me that this is probably an actual Gillette. They used sheet brass and roll-formed their hollow handles. So, that produces a tube with a seam, which eventually cracks from heating/cooling cycles. The rest of the info other folks have pointed out also support the notion that you have a very early Gillette. Nice!

And, don't be afraid to shave with it, shim and all. If that shim does turn an OLD into a NEW, it will be a nice shave. :)

Stan

Top Bottom