What's new

Best Straight Razor in the World

So lately I have been hearing a lot about the filarmonica 14 and how its edge is fantastic. I myself have a smiling custom from Jacques but am wanting to get an equally nice and fulfilling semi or full hollow ground razor to add to my collection. Recommendations? Post your favorite straight razor, what type of grind it is, and what about it is why its your favorite.
I'll go first. I love my Jacques custom smiling wedge because the edge could circumcise a gnat but its very forgiving when doing my jawline and what not.

Filarmonica 14 especial hollow ground... only 2nd gen I've ever seen with this etching

proxy.php

I actually am looking into getting a Japanese Kamisori at the present time. Half the time that is how I hold my straight razor anyhow so it seemed logical to me.

What do you guys think of no folding straight razors?

The shaves from this re-branded "Bangall," a $35 eBay mistake, put all of my other "fancy" razors to shame:
$20141102_154100_zpsjvz6kcnp.jpg
Quite a looker, no?

Legion

Staff member
The shaves from this re-branded "Bangall," a $35 eBay mistake, put all of my other "fancy" razors to shame:
View attachment 697726
Quite a looker, no?

proxy.php

True. My most recent Bengall is one of my current faves as well. They are a solid razor.

I don't think there is a best. It is like trying to choose the best girl in the world. Hopefully you will one day find her, but you don't want to rush through the selection process.

Oddly enough a bengall was my first razor......absolutely love it but for some reason, loved to bite me a lot.

proxy.php

True. My most recent Bengall is one of my current faves as well. They are a solid razor.

I don't think there is a best. It is like trying to choose the best girl in the world. Hopefully you will one day find her, but you don't want to rush through the selection process.

I think any straight that's honed properly can give one a great shave if you do your part and prep with good lather and pre-shave if you do the pre-shave but as far as what makes it the "Best in the World" i believe it's how it looks and feels in you hand.

I have several pretty razors like this Wacker that give me a great shave and it's beautiful as well:

$IMG_4644.jpg

But then I have this "Plain Jane Ben Hur" that was gifted to me that shaves just as well as alot of those expensive razors:

$IMG_4626.jpg

But don't get me started on Filarmonica as they are in a class by themselves:

$IMG_3740.jpg$IMG_4054.jpg$IMG_4886.jpg

I'd say the one in my hand. if you love your wedge, I'd say any big (7-8/8) full or extra hollow. Fili 14s are just a bit above the rest and special, regardless of their etches. they are about as hollow as it gets. just try to stay away from their newest, because the QC fell off. not sure which generation that was, but pre-70s for sure.

Top Bottom