What's new

Does Spanish Cedar impart a Cedar scent to the what is around it?

Cedar smells like cedar, and we have a cedar chest that does give the clothes a slight cedar smell.

Has anyone noticed this with a humidor?

Spanish cedar vs red cedar

Spanish cedar is what is used in humidors and does not impart a scent into your cigars.

Humidor makers also just use thin sheets over another wood for humidors as far as I know. Generally cedar chests are solid cedar.

I love the scent of red cedar and have a sweater/linen chest with winter clothes in.

Spanish cedar vs red cedar

Spanish cedar is what is used in humidors and does not impart a scent into your cigars.

Humidor makers also just use thin sheets over another wood for humidors as far as I know. Generally cedar chests are solid cedar.

I love the scent of red cedar and have a sweater/linen chest with winter clothes in.

+1 Spanish cedar is from the mahogany family, and with cigars aged over 10 years I've never experienced a cedar smell or flavor. Cedar chests are made of red/aromatic cedar from the cypress family and is a species of juniper, a totally different animal.

Cedar smells like cedar, and we have a cedar chest that does give the clothes a slight cedar smell.

Has anyone noticed this with a humidor?

This is an outstanding question. As my esteemed colleagues have stated above, Spanish Cedar will not impart the same scent and flavor as red cedar does. That is why it is used in the making of humidors and cigar boxes.

Most of the well known cigar makers use spaninsh cedar in making their boxes, or will put a very thin sheet of it in their boxes. The pitch (sap) content of Spanish Cedar is extremely low. This is where the scent actually comes from. It also helps in the aging process without imparting any flavor to the cigars. It retains humidity well and therefore is the ideal material for the lining of humidors.

Some people use the thin Spanish Cedar sheets to light their cigars with. I have done it and to me it is too much bother without the benefit.

Happy puffing!

This is an outstanding question. As my esteemed colleagues have stated above, Spanish Cedar will not impart the same scent and flavor as red cedar does. That is why it is used in the making of humidors and cigar boxes.

Most of the well known cigar makers use spaninsh cedar in making their boxes, or will put a very thin sheet of it in their boxes. The pitch (sap) content of Spanish Cedar is extremely low. This is where the scent actually comes from. It also helps in the aging process without imparting any flavor to the cigars. It retains humidity well and therefore is the ideal material for the lining of humidors.

Some people use the thin Spanish Cedar sheets to light their cigars with. I have done it and to me it is too much bother without the benefit.

Happy puffing!

I too love red cedar, I burn it in my fire place, I have several different cedar furniture pieces. However, Red Cedar would make a very poor humidor lol. Spanish cedar will not flavor your sticks per se, but it does combine with your cigars to make an amazing aroma when you open her up.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius

Yeah, I agree with that. Having lit cigars umpteen different ways, using a cedar strip is (almost literally) more flash over substance.

I used a blanket chest as a humidor for years and luckily never noticed any flavoring of my cigars. I'm guessing that keeping them in the boxes and wrappers helped.

I used a blanket chest as a humidor for years and luckily never noticed any flavoring of my cigars. I'm guessing that keeping them in the boxes and wrappers helped.

I would be willing to bet, he boxes helped that process out for sure. I have never used red cedar for a humidor, but i cant imaging it would taste good lol.

Top Bottom