What's new

Maintain edge

CBLindsay honed my straights, I'd like to maintain the edges. I have a DMT 8000 I purchased about 5 yrs. ago, any other stone recommendations to maintain these edges...

I don't maintain edges, does light use of a synthetic for touchups on a natural finished razor maintain the feel of the natural despite the touchups for some time?

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
I don't maintain edges, does light use of a synthetic for touchups on a natural finished razor maintain the feel of the natural despite the touchups for some time?

Not in my opinion. It is like touching up on a diamond pasted strop. Crisp, clinical edges.

Not in my opinion. It is like touching up on a diamond pasted strop. Crisp, clinical edges.

My experience is that they are crisp and clinical, but effective and smooth edges. For a minimalist approach to edge maintenance, that would be my recommendation as well. When the Naniwa 12 K no longer is effective, taking it back to the 8K DMT will likely gain more life out of it after a 12K finish.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
My experience is that they are crisp and clinical, but effective and smooth edges. For a minimalist approach to edge maintenance, that would be my recommendation as well. When the Naniwa 12 K no longer is effective, taking it back to the 8K DMT will likely gain more life out of it after a 12K finish.

FWIW, I prefer crisp and clinical. That, to me, is an effective edge and provides a smooth face typically in one pass. One man's smooth can be another man's harsh.

I never got much use out of my 8K DMT so I sold it off a few months ago.

10K Shapton Glass followed by 16K Shapton Glass usually gets an edge where I want it to be.

I have had great success keeping an edge alive by using balsa stops as described by slash McCoy. I personally like the .1 micron diamond paste vs the .25 micron but .1 micron Iron Oxide works too (although I think more laps might be needed.

As far a low cost and easy I wonder if a "12k" C-Nat would do anything constructive? I had one but never used it to maintain an edge.

I was expecting to read "coticule" somewhere ... :)
Sure a coticule would work. You could,not go wrong with either I just feel some one starting out should learn to hone with manmade hones and I think naniwas are a good choice. Natural stones are much better for some one more experienced. I like both, in fact at the moment I,m loving the 20kG.

I'm going to try the balsa strop route, see how that works. I'll probably look for a Naniwa 12K down the road. Thanks for all the suggestions

The latest razor I purchased was honed on a natural. The shaves were great and the edge felt wonderful. I did a touch up on a Naniwa 8k then 12k, followed by balsa strop and leather strop. To be honest, I did not notice a difference in the edge. Maybe it's because I have pretty tough skin, so I can't feel a difference. The one thing that I did notice is the edge seemed to last much longer from the natural stone finish. I am new to honing, so I am happy with the Naniwa's. Eventually I will try moving to the natural stones though.

If expense is an issue for anyone I think (and use) Whipped Dog's 1/4 12k hone is a good deal. It's a 12k Chinese hone that Larry cuts in 4 pieces and sells for about $15 each although a full size hone is only $40 I think. The 1/4 hone is nice however as it's perfect for holding in your hand which is how I do it.

I then follow that up with a pasted paddle strop before going to my regular full size leather strop.

To maintain I just use the pasted strop until that isn't enough and then go back down to the 12k hone. You can maintain that way for a long time.

8K won't be fine enough, get either a coticule recommended by Jarod @ Superior Shave or a JNAT from maybe Alex at Japan Stone, the latter will be a tad more costly than a coti, also maybe consider an Apache Strata, you can also use film but i have no knowledge on it's use.

Just about any stone that is a 'finisher' will work for that task. Objectively and subjectively, the term 'work' covers a lot of ground though.
If I'm going to do a 'touch up', I tend to use the stone they were finished on initially. I can, have and no doubt will continue to feel a difference when I use a different type of stone. Different isn't neccessarily a bad thing, sometimes a change in feel is good.
But it can also be disappointing sometimes.
Most of the time, I just rehone the blade from the ground up.

Top Bottom