What's new

Unfortunate Experience with Seller on Etsy

I wanted to let my fellow members of an unpleasant experience I had with a seller on Etsy.

I purchased a vintage Bostonian from The Vintage Gent Studio on Etsy back in July of this year. It was delivered on July 28. I then noticed that he sent me a Tuckaway, not the Bostonian I had purchased. At first I didn't notice it was a different razor but I did notice a crack in handle. The 3 pictures he had posted did not show a crack and his description of the Bostonian did not mention a crack. His description of the Tuckaway did mention a crack so I assumed the Bostonian did not have one. So, I realized that I received the wrong razor and mentioned to the seller that the razor has a crack in it and then told him it was the wrong one. He then proceeds to tell me the Bostonian also has a crack. Not what I thought I had purchased. So I told him I was not interested in receiving the Bostonian since I felt I paid more than I should have for a cracked handle. He said to send it back and he would refund me the purchase price. I asked him about the return shipping and he said he would refund that as well. This occurred on 8/1.

I opened a case on Etsy on 8/1 because I was getting snippy responses from him. That only got him upset. I returned the Tuckaway which he received on 8/6 with me paying the return shipping. Etsy for some reason closed the case and then realizing I had not received reimbursement of the return shipping, reopened it again on 8/14. I posted the picture of the receipt for the return on 8/17. Etsy then tells the seller to refund me the return shipping on 8/24. Again on 8/31 and again on 9/21. I finally received the money order on 10/4.

Along the way he tells me "Ok seriously, life happens." When I asked him about the return shipping reimbursement he says "You need to calm done champ!"

The guy tried to find every way to get out from reimbursing the return shipping. So, on 8/29 he says he'll refund me the money and asks for my address to send me a check or money order. Then on 8/31 he complains to Etsy that the "system" won't let him refund me the money the way the original purchase price was paid. What happened to just sending me a money order? At another point he says to me "I'm not the one hard pressed for 3.20 sport." He also told me I am "ignorant" and I "obviously have no life."

The bottom line is all he had to do was reimburse me for the return shipping. That was it. Instead I had to have Etsy open and reopen a case against him and I waited two months for him to reluctantly refund me. And I got attitude to boot.

I am posting this simply to let anyone know that if they are thinking of buying something from The Vintage Gent Studio, it is possible you will be treated to a similar experience. It is also possible you won't but other B&B members have suggested I let my fellow members know about this ridiculous situation. And in the end this had nothing to do with a lousy $3.59. It had everything to do with what is right given the facts and circumstances. What I have posted are facts. The seller would probably dispute this entire story. Amazing.

Interestingly enough, I bought another razor from another shop on ebay. The guy sent me the wrong razor. I sent him an email. He said "yes, that is the wrong razor. I'll send you the correct razor and when you get it, send me back the wrong razor." He included an envelope with $7 cash for the return shipping. I never had to even ask for the return shipping.

Should you wish to do business with The Vintage Gent Studio or scottybing74, just be careful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry you had such a bad experience. Thanks for sharing. I will be sure to stay away from this seller.

Obtaining money orders, mailing money orders, refunding money orders, sounds like commerce in the 1950's. I am going to stick to Credit cards and Paypal.

Agree with BRITD. Money orders, far too complicated and no digital record. It's been ages since I've had a problem, but I use Paypal charged to a credit card. Paypal has never failed me when there's been an issue, but if it ever happens, a chargeback as a last step is only a few clicks away.

No reason for you to have been treated the way you were regardless of the amount involved. You've provided a service to this forum by taking the time to describe your experience with a bad vendor Thanks.

BRITD and frstplce, I would have liked to have used Paypal as well since I have an account however I kind of had to let the seller decide how he wanted to handle it.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I don't do business with people who screw B&B members. I don't do business with people who insult B&B members. I don't do business with people who look funny at B&B members.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Thanks for the heads-up on such a seller. I'd say he chose the wrong name for his store.

If you feel it appropriate, would you mind giving the name of the vendor that treated you well? I also enjoy knowing about sellers that have integrity.

Thanks for the heads-up on such a seller. I'd say he chose the wrong name for his store.

If you feel it appropriate, would you mind giving the name of the vendor that treated you well? I also enjoy knowing about sellers that have integrity.

The seller that was completely spot on and was great to deal with goes by the name "underdogs" on ebay.

I don't do business with people who screw B&B members. I don't do business with people who insult B&B members. I don't do business with people who look funny at B&B members.

Interestingly enough, I found the poorly behaved etsy seller is also a B&B member, although it does not appear that he has had any activity on this site since 2014. His member name is the same as his email name. scottybing74.

Interestingly enough, I found the poorly behaved etsy seller is also a B&B member, although it does not appear that he has had any activity on this site since 2014. His member name is the same as his email name. scottybing74.
He surely wasn't being a gentleman.

I don't do business with people who look funny at B&B members.

$kitty2.gif

Ladydials had a similar experience on ebay. They stated the item was the ladies model, but was the unisex model. Any logical argument she made for a refund was treated like she was being ridiculous. She even got an angry message from the seller's husband on how traumatic this was for his wife. Thankfully the son of one of milady's coworkers had just broken his watch. So SWMBO broke even.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
People are strange. Many of them just want the last dollar out of a deal no matter how they do it - it must be kind of a game to them. I know vendors like that.

Cheers, Steve

Top Bottom