What's new

Old skool aftershaves

Hi guys I'm new to double edge shaving and currently use proraso soap and pre/post shave cream which I quite like I've just ordered a bottle of proraso aftershave too, but then I started looking at some of the vintage aftershaves and found some of the old classics such as old Spice, brut 33 and hei karate which made me wonder how good these products are and if many people still use them I know there's better out there but old Spice and brut seam to have stood the test of time what's your thoughts....

I am old school all the way. Try any or all of Aqua Velva Ice Blue, Pinaud Clubman, Mennen Skin Bracer. You'll be glad you did.

Last edited by a moderator:
Most of my aftershave is vintage. It's mostly Avon great stuff, easy to find, and usually dirt cheap. I also have a bottle of Shulton Old Spice and vintage Skin Bracer. Most of this stuff dates to the 60s and 70s and still works great. I have colse to 100 bottles and have only found 1 that went bad. If you like Old Spice you will love Avon Spicy.

My few modern bottles are also OLD School brands Aqua Velva, Skin Bracer, and Stetson.

Last edited:
I'm tempted to try some old Spice and some brut I remember as a very young lad seeing these on the shelf in most people's bathrooms they seamed to be the top aftershaves back in the day

They have stood the test of time for a reason. I have Old Spice, Brut, Clubman Pinaud, Clubman Bay Rum, Lilac Veg, Old Spice and Canoe lined up for use.

where do u guys find this stuff , im in Canada and most in the pharmacy only have the reg , aqua velva and brut and such . is the old spice they sell at the pharmacy similar to the older old spice or have they changed the ingredients .. do u prefer the new or old
have never seen the clubman tried English leather and not really a fan of it ....

where do u guys find this stuff , im in Canada and most in the pharmacy only have the reg , aqua velva and brut and such . is the old spice they sell at the pharmacy similar to the older old spice or have they changed the ingredients .. do u prefer the new or old
have never seen the clubman tried English leather and not really a fan of it ....

Hi [MENTION=111307]tom g[/MENTION].
For us in Canada it is more difficult to obtain the vintage version of a lot of aftershaves. Many vendors and sellers (eBay, Amazon, Etsy ) from the USA offer them at great prices but typically cannot ship them to us because of cross border alcohol restrictions. And, if they do ship them across the border, shipping costs can be prohibitive.
I've tried the Salvation Army, Goodwill route, but have yet to have luck. Antique stores, garage sales are typically no better. At least the ones I've been to.
I have managed to find a good vendor on EBay from whom I received a full bottle of Avon Bay Rum. The vendor is close to your general area. Shoot me a PM and i will provide you with more details.
Anyone else want to chime in, from Canada?

Hi @tom g.
For us in Canada it is more difficult to obtain the vintage version of a lot of aftershaves. Many vendors and sellers (eBay, Amazon, Etsy ) from the USA offer them at great prices but typically cannot ship them to us because of cross border alcohol restrictions. And, if they do ship them across the border, shipping costs can be prohibitive.
I've tried the Salvation Army, Goodwill route, but have yet to have luck. Antique stores, garage sales are typically no better. At least the ones I've been to.
I have managed to find a good vendor on EBay from whom I received a full bottle of Avon Bay Rum. The vendor is close to your general area. Shoot me a PM and i will provide you with more details.
Anyone else want to chime in, from Canada?

Ordering stuff from the US usually blows because of the weak dollar and paying for stuff to cross the border. Canadian Amazon has a lot of stuff, but it's not always cheaper than retail, and I prefer to buy local when it's possible and affordable, because I want to support local businesses, and Amazon's tax and labour practices are very sketchy.

If you want classic scents that have stood the test of time, Pinaud Clubman stuff is probably up your alley, as it's been around for about 200 years. I really like the ordinary Clubman, and the other stuff I've bought (Special Reserve and Bay Rum) are both very nice too. It's a bit harder to find than the big-brand aftershaves or Proraso (which Shoppers carries) but is not very expensive.

For Clubman stuff, I would recommend Toronto Barber and Beauty Supply near Dundas station. They've got other stuff too but Clubman is all I bought. Their prices are the same or lower as what you'll get on Amazon. I'd also recommend checking out MenEssentials, which is on Danforth near Chester or Pape station, although I didn't get any aftershave there.

Excellent products IMO. I would also add Pinaud (especially clubman), Floid and Speick. All favorites! :thumbup1:

Hard to beat Avon. I haven't found one yet that didn't impress me. I also got my hands on a bottle of Max Factor from the '70s and it's awesome; pretty rare and kinda expensive if you can find it. I paid $3 for a full bottle, in its original packaging, at a local vintage shop.

Hard to beat Avon. I haven't found one yet that didn't impress me. I also got my hands on a bottle of Max Factor from the '70s and it's awesome; pretty rare and kinda expensive if you can find it. I paid $3 for a full bottle, in its original packaging, at a local vintage shop.
Good suggestions

If you want TRUE vintage, your sort of regulated, but if you mean simply brands, then you need to try Old Spice, Aqua Velva (I like Ice Blue), and Pinaud Clubman (a recently discovered MUST). Brut is a classic which I have yet to try.

Skin Bracer, Brut, and Aqua Velva are all staples in my shave den. They are classics. Many of the old favorites are still made, but some of the obscure scents are no longer made, and your only chance it to buy vintage bottles online or in antique stores. If stored properly, these are still good after all these years. I have many bottle of aftershave that are 40-60 years old, and are some of my favorites! I actually prefer the older scents over most modern and artisan aftershaves.

Top Bottom