What's new

Smooth and sharp?

Question for all you guys that know the different varieties of blades. I use Gillette Silver Blue blades. I find they are both very sharp and very smooth from the first shave. For a while when I first started DE shaving I used Astra SP. A very sharp blade, but I found it took until the second or third shave before they got smooth.

Are there other blades that are both smooth and sharp from the first shave?

I find the Astra SS smoother than SP. Also Gillette Nacet, rapira all varieties, ladas, and Gillette 7 o'clock super stainless.

proxy.php

Are there other blades that are both smooth and sharp from the first shave?

You might find a blade that is smooth and sharp for YOU,but this does not mean that it will be smooth and sharp for somebody else.

Blades are a YMMV thing you have to remember this.

The smoothest and sharpest for ME is the SHARK SS.

I find Feathers plenty smooth with a good slick lather and a light touch (in my Fatip Grande). I think I may be addicted to their charm. I also like Astra SPs, Gillette 7 O'Clock Blacks, Wilkinson Swords, and Gillette Wilkinson Swords.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
A little palm stropping smooths out my sharpest blades. I like Feathers and Polisilvers.

For me, my smoothest and sharpest are Gillette 7 O'Clock Green (India), Personna Platinum Chrome, Racer Super Class Platinum, Wilkinson Sword (Germany) and Zaza Super Stainless

You might find a blade that is smooth and sharp for YOU,but this does not mean that it will be smooth and sharp for somebody else.

Blades are a YMMV thing you have to remember this.

The smoothest and sharpest for ME is the SHARK SS.

Yep.... its all YMMV and very dependant on your skin/beard, razor and technique. For me, I'd say Polsilver SIs and Personna Med Preps are the smoothest/sharpest out of the gate that I have tried. Gillette 7OC yellows (sharp edge) are pretty close as well.

I recommend the current Wilkinsons which are manufactured in Germany, I find they are good to go right out of the box ... just make sure to use a light touch which is all that is required for them to do their job

As mentioned it is a YMMV situation.

For me it is:
Gillette 7 o'clock Permasharp(India) both from the get go through 7 shaves, as many and 11 shave and as few and 4.

Next on my list and tied for above in both categories is the Wilkinson Sword Classic(German) same as above average about 5 shaves.

Merkur is another one I have no problem straight out of the box but have mixed feelings on this one. Got 13 shaves with the one that come with my 34c but the tucks I have purchased only average about 4 shaves.

Gillette 7 o'clock Super Platinum(Blacks) first shave was absolutely wonderful with Cella soap but blade fell off fast and only got 3 shaves.

I have tried a number of blades so far but none of them even comes close for me.

Adding to the YMMV issues here:

Gillette 7 o'clock Green Super Stainless (Russia) start off very sharp and smooth and they seem to get smoother and smoother with every shave and when I tested it, I almost couldn't detect a drop in sharpness until around the 6th or 7th shave. Needless to say, I grabbed 100 of them after trying one blade.

I do have very good luck with the GSB. I'm going to need to pick up another 100 of those soon too.

Top Bottom