What's new

Best choice for an efficient razor

Sounds like you have a couple of really nice finds Marlow89, well done my friend. I must be either using the wrong search terms or a bit unlucky. Been watching a few things (as I'm not allowed to buy everything at the mo) anything I've taken a fancy to has exceeded my possible future budget or had high postage costs.

Saw a couple of neglected looking open combs but even these went for more than I could possibly afford. Oh well, makes me appreciate what I already have.

Hi Al, I have a gillette slim that's not much to look at but works great. You can have it for free if you like. PM me for details or further discussion...

Go for this if you can. I have a very user grade slim and it is what I would suggest in the situation you are in. (My face can't handle three passes and it needs just the right razor to be smooth with two).

I'd say that a Fatip Piccolo meets your requirements precisely and is a wonderful instrument to use.

Within your budget, the Rapira Platinum Lux razor can be had for under £10 and is very efficient. I bought one out of curiosity after reading the thread here and it is very good, but I do prefer my Piccolo.

The Ying JiLi is similar to the Rapira and can be bought for under £5, in fact, if you visit Ali Express they're under £2 including shipping from China.

So let me see if I have this right...
1) You want a razor that feels like a DE89 on the face
2) Is as efficient as the R41
3) Extremely cheap

I think I'm looking for the same razor! LOL

You might check out the Fatip, Maggard V3A head, Rapira Plat Lux razor.

For me, the Ikon Tech gets pretty close to my ideal shave, but is not cheap. It also does feel aggressive.
NEW LC is very smooth but doesn't get in the nooks and crannies as well as more aggressive razors.
OLD type is quite efficient, but feels harsh on the face, has some blade alignment issues.
I swap between the R41-13 and Ikon Tech. With practice and the right blade, they give very close shaves with no to little irritation.
Very rewarding when you get it right!

Good luck in your search!

I realise that I might not be able to get a razor that is both exactly as smooth as the DE89 and as efficient as the R41. However was hoping I could get a smooth shave similar to the DE89 but was more efficient. I was looking for a razor which was around midway on the aggressive scale or a little more towards the R41 but a little more forgiving.

Unfortunately budget is something I can't change, I think the iKON razors look great but way out of my league along with a number of other razors. Sounds like you have some amazing razors Jaidmaster.

Modern or vintage I don't mind as there are some great reviews written about razors at both ends of the spectrum and I've only used a few razors so can't comment except on the very small number I've used .

There have been some great suggestions offered which I'm grateful to all. The consensus so far seems to point towards a Fatip Piccolo or a Gillette Slim both get good reviews across B & B I really like the look at them both.

I've not reduced my search as I'm still under an enforced spending ban at the moment which is very frustrating which means some great razors may slip by but at least I have time to look at the different suggestions.

Just as an experiment someone suggested (think it was FarmerTan, apologies if I got it wrong) on using a shim by cutting off the edges of a razor blade.

Has anyone made a shim, if so how did they cut off the blade edges without cutting themselves to pieces. I'm not that handy but wondered about trying a shim as I've never done it before.

Just as an experiment someone suggested (think it was FarmerTan, apologies if I got it wrong) on using a shim by cutting off the edges of a razor blade.

Has anyone made a shim, if so how did they cut off the blade edges without cutting themselves to pieces. I'm not that handy but wondered about trying a shim as I've never done it before.

Some scissors worked fine for me. They cut pretty easily.

Just hold an old blade by the tab and cut the edges off with scissors. It's really easy to do and not dangerous at all.

@ BigAI09,
I feel ya...
Try Parker 24c or 26 c , they are right in the sweet spot for me. Mind ya, there might be other razors in the sweet spot too; will leave it to others on that

Cheers

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I'll give making a shim a try and see how it goes in the DE89 :)

There seems quite a lot of love with both users and in reviews for the Parker 24c / 26c. They are outside my budget new and not seen any second hand. Seen other Parker's (22r, 92r) but not the open combs.

Seen Lord razors mentioned but not familiar with them. I need to have a look out for a few reviews as I know nothing about the Lord Tech. I do like the idea of an efficient and comfortable razor.

Hi Lord Greystoke,

I see loads of great things about Maggard in general and many of their products get rave reviews. Being in the UK postage is the big issue with any international shipping.

Maybe a good option would be to prolong the purchase until the price range can be expanded?
I tend to smoke less or cut out soft drinks when I am trying to save towards something of this nature. I've owned many different razors, and in my opinion, it's worth the wait to get the one you want. I understand a budget; but not how time won't allow it to expand. I mean no disrespect, as it's ultimately none of my business. Just offering my opinion.

Hi Michael RB88, your suggestions are sound my friend. However it's not a shortage of time that restricts me with my budget but my good lady wife who's not keen about my interest in wet shaving. As long as I do something about the whiskers without much fuss that's game over, she also believes that once you have one razor that's enough. I also badly overspent not long ago on a shaving brush which really hasn't helped matters.So saving up over a longer period of time wouldn't be a problem if I could eventually spend more than a very modest set budget. As I'm already in the dog house I thought I might be able to create a shortcut list of options from the advice you guys have given ready for when my current spending ban is lifted and I can spend up to my normal budget cap.

Anyway, thank you everyone so far for all the suggestions. I really do appreciate reading all the wonderful advice.

Your many questions potentially are complex, and the answers are highly YMMV. Only you can decide what is best for you.

However, the usual suspects would include Merkur Futur, Mekur slant, Gillette Red Tip, Gillette NEW (SC and LC), Gillette Fat Boy/Gillette Slim, and Gillette Super Speed Adjustable aka the Black Beauty.

It sounds like money is an issue. SE razors generally are much cheaper than DE razors. That would suggest a Gem Micromatic OC, Gem Micromatic Clog Pruf, Schick Injector Type E and Type G, Schick Injector Adjustable, Ever-Ready 1912/1914/1924 models, and the Gem 1912.

There's a lot to choose from. I hope you find something in your price range. That is the challenge.

Good luck in your hunting!

Last edited:
[MENTION=111497]BigAl09[/MENTION], Did you see [MENTION=106928]Surgeon[/MENTION] generous offer to send you a razor?

Top Bottom