What's new

NEW Derby Premium blades on the market

Mileage does vary. So very true when it comes to blades. Derby Extra works fine for me. Personna Med Prep works for me too. But Feather doesn't for some reason.

I'd try these new (or repackaged?) Derbys if I knew where they were available cheaply in the US.

They probably can't be any worse than the Derby Extra
But considering every time I tried to use Derby Extra, either while developing my technique or comparatively recently, they left my face hot, red, puffy, sweaty and unbelievably itchy.......
I'll say once bitten twice shy and pass on trying these
I would have to agree x 10. Today was derby trash day.

I used Derby blades for a number of years and they were always just fine. I would try these, but I am happy with my blade choice. I'm one of those odd balls that only uses one type of blade.

proxy.php
:thumbup:

If you guys think Derby Extras are bad, you must not have tried many blades. I tried a Supermax Platinum and it felt like the hairs were being ripped out.

None of you have tried these blades yet but are already bashing it. SMH.

I do understand the dislike of Derby brand. I don't like Derby Extra blades myself but I won't be commenting on these new blades until I try them or vast majority of users try them.

I just tried derby. For me I got some cuts because I had to use more pressure than what I was used to. It wasn't too uncomfortable but it did leave my face a little red. I might try them again in the future.

Derby Extra's are not as sharp as other modern blades, but if you use a couple passes give a very nice shave. I felt like they were not working, and there is much more "feel" in the shave, but the results are quite nice. You just have to to a full three pass shave.

Will be eventually trying the new ones, but it will be a while before I get to them.

I will see, if I live long enough, how long they last (I've got some blade samplers, but so far have not used up a single blade in nearly three weeks....). My feeling is that they will shave the same way until they become so dull they won't cut the hair any more, which may be dozens of shaves, just like every other razor, unless the user has really bad technique. They may pull too much for people with very thick beard hair, too, making them less desirable to shave with even though they work well.

Can't be too horrible, after all, as they have been sold for decades -- someone has to be using them!

Peter

I tend to favor Derby Extra in my Gillette Fatboy, and I even used it around 14 times for the One Blade in February event (I like to shave every other day, usually). I'm thinking that I might do that again this coming February. Wonderful pairing for me, really.

I have some on the way from amazon, $8 for 25 and a puck of GBS soap. Derby extras were good for me so maybe these will too.

Just ordered a100 from Connaught shipped to USA $13 and change, no soap though

What was your opinion and what kind of beard do you have? I have a dense. coarse beard. especially after 2 day growth. Derby Extra's take some work in getting a BBS shave. There's at least 10 others I prefer. I usually reach for a Derby when I have to shave 2 days in a row and just want a close but not BBS shave. They're more forgiving on the skin than other blades.

Any other comments on the Derby Premiums since this thread was started?

Based on the description they are exactly the same as Derby Extra the only thing that might be different is they're using the word "Premium Swedish Steel" vs the regular Swedish steel in Derby Extras. You guys sure this isn't just a name/packaging change to charge more $$$$?

well i used them today , not the same. these premium blades are thinner and softer but they cut well...and smoother than the original Derbys. About sharpness , they do cut well at first pass....

There was no unusual aftershave burn sensation or any cuts and bruises . Used them on a 4 day growth. my typical shaving frequency is a 4 day cycle.
i have a medium coarse facial hair

i can vouch that they are a step up from the original derbys

Last edited:
i live in a humid country therefore the issue of after shave burning is noticeable...so i can only use blades which have a smooth signature.

i can say these premium derby blades are good for humid countries ....

Top Bottom