What's new

Observations of a noob

Razor - Merkur 34HD
Creams - Barbasol, Every Man Jack scentless
Blades used so far - Merkur, cvs, bic

Beard type - tree stumps
Skin - average, not super sensitive

Been doing this a couple of weeks. From posts I read getting a smooth shave seems to be technique and dialing in the right combo of blade/razor/cream/soap.

The good - so far I haven't cut myself. Watching youtube vids probably helped with this.
The bad - cannot get a smooth shave, even after 3-4 passes. Currently get a better shave from ONE pass of a no name twin blade disposable.

From reading reviews I didn't expect much from the Merkur blade or the cvs. I was, however, disappointed in the bic as those get very good ratings.
I think listening for the scratchy sound when shaving is good advice, just started doing that today. For me it means shaving in very dim light, as the mirror light is on the same circuit as the fan, which is VERY loud. Still got stubble too, after 3 passes. (FYI I live in an apartment, rewiring the combo light/fan switch NOT an option)
EMJ scentless cream too thick, even when used sparingly. It gunks up the razor and I spend too much time blasting it out with the tap turned all the way up.
No problems with Barbasol, rinses out of razor np.

With all the variables it's very hard to tell how much is technique and how much may be just not the best combo of blade/razor/cream. The water is so hard it chips teeth, which is why I haven't bothered going the shave soap route.

I may wind up having to try either a sharper blade or a more aggressive razor. All that work and still having stubble is a bummer.

Hi, and welcome to B&B! Sorry in advance for inserting my unsolicited opinion but...

Firstly, I'd like to say that I would definitely recommend getting some nice blades, they definitely help. I personally like to recommend Astra SPs as they're super smooth and aren't quite as "dangerous" as Feathers. Another that people tend to like are Voskhods for similar reasons. I picked up a box of 100 Astra blades for $11 on Amazon in a leap of faith two years ago when I first started and I haven't even bothered trying anything else (Still on the same box actually haha).

Second, angle is everything when it comes to shaving with a DE/SE/SR. Too small of an angle and you're just brushing your facial hair, but too large of an angle between the blade and your skin and you'll be taking off a lot more than skin. The sound test is really good for testing this. basically start with a small angle with your DE and you can do strokes down your face, slowly increasing the angle until you hear that satisfying cutting sound. If you're feeling dangerous, you can continue a bit past that point to see if there's a slightly better angle since the bigger the angle the closer the shave, but then you're at risk of taking a chunk out. The safer way is to find the point where you hear it, hit that angle consistently, and check post-shave to see how close it is. If you feel like it isn't close enough at that point, the next time you shave I would find the angle you used last time and adjust it slightly wider, and just slowly work your way out.

Third, there are a lot of good shave soaps that will still lather in pretty hard water if you wanted to go that direction, it just takes a little extra water to get it going if I understand it correctly. Another option would be getting those gallons of distilled water at the grocery store which are pretty cheap and using those. There are benefits to using shaving soap over typical canned shaving creams, and it's one of my favorite parts of my routine... But really that's just whatever you're comfortable with.

The second point, technique, will be the most important since if you don't have good technique you won't get a good shave. But the blade is really important as well. And the third is a bit less important, though I would never steer anyone away from a good ol' shave soaping! :thumbup:

Hope that was helpful!

[MENTION=112766]Lancelot Link[/MENTION]

First of all...Welcome to B&B:thumbup1:

I can understand the frustration. The problem seems pretty simple. I think you'll have this figured out in a couple of days. Don't go off buying a different razor just yet... getting a few different, maybe more efficiantly cutting blades, is not a bad idea. Mowing down dense underbrush needs a different approach than just mowing a lawn (sorry for garden variety analogy:laugh:). To name a few blades that have a sharper reputation:
-Gillette Nacet
-Voshkod
-Feather
-Gillette 7 O'Clock SharpEdge (yellow packages)
-Astra SP (green package)
-PolSilvers
-PermaSharp
To be quite honest, you will have to try out a few blades and see what is the best for YOUR stubble. I like the Nacets, Yellows and Voshkods... but thats MY preference.

That being said... the Barbasol should work just fine (I'll probably get some pretty weird looks for saying that:tongue_sm). Soaps can be added in later. More important is getting you a smooth, clean shave... and its very doable with the tools you have. Like Zach already mentioned, your angle might be off a bit. Technique... sucks but its usually the culprit.

See if you can put a bit more of the cap on the skin... basically giving the blade a steep angle.
Here is a (very bad) sketch of what I mean:

$1022160137~2.jpg

BE CAREFUL!!! You not only cut the stubble better but also your skin!!! Nicks are very possible.

Especially on the ATG (Against the Grain) Pass, try it out on a small patch where you have more Rest-Stubble problems. Use short strokes (Buffing) that are maybe half an inch long. See if that works... does for me.

Also... don't go ultra thick on the lather for the last pass. It tends to "hide" the already shortend stubble and you have a hard time getting it. Go wet on the lather and a bit thin, so you have the glide but not so much cushion. Sometimes that helps. Like before, try it out on a small area first. If that causes discomfort, STOP!! and go back to normal.

Ok... Hope that will get you going in the right direction.

Keep us up to date how things are progressing. And regarding the soaps... when you are ready to dive in, there are plenty of members that have dealt with hard water successfully. Just post in the Soap or Cream section and I'm absolutely sure that one of the gentlemen can help you there. You have the combined knowledge of 70,000+ members that have been shaving like this for years at work here :laugh:.

Hope you have a better shave soon.

Quink, shoudn't be "shallow" reversed with "steep" in your drawing?
I think your advice is very sound, but woudn't be more cap on the face and a low angle of attack described as "shallow"?

Thanks,
Cristian

You are correct, Cristian. Shallow is more cap to your face.

Welcome, Lance Link Great to have you here. Wonder if I am the only one to the origin of your screen name?

proxy.php

I think your advice is very sound, but woudn't be more cap on the face and a low angle of attack described as "shallow"?

Thanks,
Cristian

Thanks,
Cristian

Depends on how you look at it... angles are circular:001_huh:. But you might be right on the declaration. Guess doing that in the middle of the night wasn't the best of ideas... good thing I did post that sketch. That would have been a disaster...:blushing:. Guess I was going off the handle...

As in your drawing, with more cap on the skin is easy for the blade to slice the hairs, with a smoother shave and better blade longevity. But usually I've seen this variant described as shallow angle, (angle between blade and face), that's why I asked.
Thanks!

Welcome aboard! Looks like you are doing well.

I suggest that you should order one (or more) blade sampler packs to see if you can find your optimal combination for your Merkur. The other issue is that your shaves will get better with time as your technique improves!

Welcome aboard! Looks like you are doing well.

I suggest that you should order one (or more) blade sampler packs to see if you can find your optimal combination for your Merkur. The other issue is that your shaves will get better with time as your technique improves!

+1

Hearty welcome sir, lots of excellent advice here.

I've only been double edge shaving for a few months, and I've managed to get pretty good at it, but it is a learning curve that takes some time. Especially coming off pivoting head cartridge razors where you didn't have to worry about the pressure and angle. Only way to learn is by doing. I would keep working with your Merkur 34c for a while before investing in a more aggressive razor. The 34c is a mild razor, but it's an excellent razor to learn pressure and angle without mangling up your face too bad. I have a 34c also, and re-learned how to shave on it. You may also find, after a while, that blades that didn't work for you at first will work for you later on when your technique develops. That's how it went for me anyway, with the Personna and Voskhod blades.

my advice is do not put too stock into opinions ....try for yourself .... for years people have gotten up in arms at just the mention of a Merkur or Derby blade ..... I have used them both on occasion and never had a problem with either of them .... best to be your own judge

I started using Feathers in a Gillette Tech (a very mild razor), and things were going fine until I switched up the mix and tried the same blade in a Gillette Super Speed and chewed my face up. The Tech was so forgiving that I was ignorant of how important technique is, and also getting to know your face. I switched to a smoother Astra SP in the SS and started to cautiously work on getting the most effective angle to maximize hair, and minimize face, cutting. Technique is paramount, in my opinion, but equipment is important. I have never used a Merkur, so I cannot speak to its aggressiveness. You may want to not only carefully play around with different angles, but different razors and blades as well. Perhaps getting a Gillette adjustable would help in judging how aggressive a razor you want. As far as blades I really like PolSilver Super Iridium Extra Stainless, Gillette Nacet Stainless, Gillette Silver Blue, Gillette 7 O’Clock SharpEdge (yellow pack), Gillette 7 O’Clock Super Stainless, and Sharp Star - Platinum. I also use Feathers and Astra SPs from time to time.

Hi, and welcome to B&B! Sorry in advance for inserting my unsolicited opinion but...

Firstly, I'd like to say that I would definitely recommend getting some nice blades, they definitely help. I personally like to recommend Astra SPs as they're super smooth and aren't quite as "dangerous" as Feathers. Another that people tend to like are Voskhods for similar reasons. I picked up a box of 100 Astra blades for $11 on Amazon in a leap of faith two years ago when I first started and I haven't even bothered trying anything else (Still on the same box actually haha).

Second, angle is everything when it comes to shaving with a DE/SE/SR. Too small of an angle and you're just brushing your facial hair, but too large of an angle between the blade and your skin and you'll be taking off a lot more than skin. The sound test is really good for testing this. basically start with a small angle with your DE and you can do strokes down your face, slowly increasing the angle until you hear that satisfying cutting sound. If you're feeling dangerous, you can continue a bit past that point to see if there's a slightly better angle since the bigger the angle the closer the shave, but then you're at risk of taking a chunk out. The safer way is to find the point where you hear it, hit that angle consistently, and check post-shave to see how close it is. If you feel like it isn't close enough at that point, the next time you shave I would find the angle you used last time and adjust it slightly wider, and just slowly work your way out.

Third, there are a lot of good shave soaps that will still lather in pretty hard water if you wanted to go that direction, it just takes a little extra water to get it going if I understand it correctly. Another option would be getting those gallons of distilled water at the grocery store which are pretty cheap and using those. There are benefits to using shaving soap over typical canned shaving creams, and it's one of my favorite parts of my routine... But really that's just whatever you're comfortable with.

The second point, technique, will be the most important since if you don't have good technique you won't get a good shave. But the blade is really important as well. And the third is a bit less important, though I would never steer anyone away from a good ol' shave soaping! :thumbup:

Hope that was helpful!
No need to apologize we want your cooperation and advice

I am new to this forum(B&B), but not to DE shaving.
If your facial hair is like mine, you might need to look at getting an open-comb razor(eg. Parker has one that is supposed to be a good shaver, without being overly aggressive), or you might just need to try a better blade(eg. Feather, Pol Silver, Voskhod, Personna blue or red). I would recommend that you get a good blade sampler pack before you give up on the 34-C(aka 34-HD).
I rotate between a FATIP PICCOLO, a PAA Symmetry, a newly acquired Gillette old type, and a newly acquired GEM MICROMATIC open-comb.
I hope that this helps.

A great day begins with a great shave. Have a great shave.

Top Bottom