What's new

Colonial Razor's General vs Razorock Hawk

Hi guys,

Can someone offer insight on how these two compare in terms of mildness/comfort/efficiency? I realize the General is a higher price point and is likely better machined, but that doesn't always translate to shave quality. I really enjoy milder razors that you know won't hurt you unless you really tried like the RR baby smooth (my current daily razor) and hoping to find a similar SE.

Thanks in advance

I don't own the general but I have heard that it is on the milder side of things. The hawk is a more aggressive razor

I used my Hawk for the first time today. It is a bit more aggressive than the General. Between the two, I like the General a bit better. They are both excellent razors that give smooth and comfortable shaves, but the General glides a bit more smoothly on my face. As far as efficiency goes, I would say they are about equal at mowing down stubble. You won't go wrong with either razor, but the better fit and finish on the General gives it better performance.

Oh, and I am using the Black Hawk. I will probably pick up a Chrome Hawk at some point to compare, but don't know when.

YMMV indeed. I have both, and my initial impression is that the General is slightly more aggressive than the Hawk. Suffice to say that they're pretty close.

The main difference (besides the cost) is that the Hawk has a flat head (think Mongoose) while the General has a curved cap (more like an ATT SE1/2).

As might be expected, the General has a higher quality finish, although there is nothing seriously wrong with the Hawk's finish.

--Bob

Thanks for the replies guys. I have completed 10 shaves with the Hawk/Kai Mild blad and while it's been superb (no tugging), I suspect most of the change is just adapting to a new blade type. The hawk can be mild and efficient but at a very select angle. If you deviate too far from that acceptable angle range, it reminds you quickly by drawing blood. Hoping other SE razors like the General can give the same mild/efficient shave but at greater variety of angles. Not too sure how much of a trade off it would be down the line though.

Both are winners in my estimation - the Black Hawk and General. I like the General with the Feather Pro; I'm using the Titan Mild with the Hawk. I could switch blades and enjoy both equally.

YMMV indeed. I have both, and my initial impression is that the General is slightly more aggressive than the Hawk. Suffice to say that they're pretty close.

The main difference (besides the cost) is that the Hawk has a flat head (think Mongoose) while the General has a curved cap (more like an ATT SE1/2).

As might be expected, the General has a higher quality finish, although there is nothing seriously wrong with the Hawk's finish.

--Bob
Interesting, I find the Hawk more aggressive. I can use a Super in the General with good results but it pairs badly in the Hawk.

I know this is a comparison between the Hawk and the General. I have the Hawk and I find it not aggressive and I will not know how it compares with the general until mine gets here. Among my SE's, it's the least aggressive compared to the RX and the El-Hefe. IMO I shave with the Hawk without even giving any care and it never seems to bite me.

I had my first shave with the Hawk yesterday and I was surprised by how mild it is. I used it with the Freather Pro and I got a super excellent shave.
I would be surprised if The Gpeneral is even milder than the Hawk but I'll discover it soon, it will arrive today or tomorrow.

I had my first shave with the Hawk yesterday and I was surprised by how mild it is. I used it with the Freather Pro and I got a super excellent shave.
I would be surprised if The Gpeneral is even milder than the Hawk but I'll discover it soon, it will arrive today or tomorrow.
It's a tough call in my opinion. I used The General with the same blade. One shave is probably not enough to evaluate a new razor but they are very similar. The General gave me the impression to allow a slightly more aggressive angle when needed and touching up the usual hard spots required less work. It's also a little heavier which I like.
I would say that the only negative of these two razors is that the aluminum requires more lubrication especially when buffing the same spot. I felt less resistance with the Hawk however.
Regardeless, I think I'll enjoy both razors.

Last edited:
For me the difference is that the design of the Generals head allows me to slightly adjust the angle as I need to during the shave. With the hawk its difficult to make these on the fly adjustments.

I have been using my new polished Hawk since Friday with a Feather Pro Guard blade - I have been getting smooth irritation-free shaves. My new General just arrived in the mail today - I loaded it with a Feather Super Pro (based on the reviews I have read, the General works well with a very sharp blade). I am going to try it out in the AM with a day and a half's growth on my chin. Looking forward to waking up tomorrow!

The Hawk I use with the pro and it gives me a fantastic shave. I consider it a mild razor in need of beefing up with the pro.
The General I cannot say anything about as it's still in the mail, but once it arrives, I'll use it again with the pro.
The pro-guard I use with the RX as it's an aggressive razor. I tried it in the El-Jefe as well but somehow I had alignment problems so next time I'll use the kai mild.

I find the Hawk and the General both to be smooth shavers. Tonight I used the General with a Feather Pro blade with 11 shaves on it. I still got a very smooth shave. The blade feels as good as new after 12 shaves on it. These are both great razors and I think everyone should own both of them for what they cost.

The bottom bar is not straight. Kinda hard to explain without pictures but it basically looks like there is a large dent in the bottom guard.
I also noticed that even with the blade on the post the blade isnt totally even. You get what you pay for I guess.

Top Bottom