What's new

watching your father shave

I never remember seeing my dad shave with a double edged razor but watching him shave was so interesting I feel like it impacted my adult life he might have been using cheep plastic razors for fear of his son getting into his high quality blades still the joy of watching my father shave. Happy shaving

Thanks for sharing. I hope my boys look back on me shaving with such fondness. My youngest two are still amazed seeing me in a full lather.

I remember a day specifically where I had received a plastic shave kit from my Mom; I don't know if I'd been with her and saw it in the store or how I got it. Must have been interested in what Dad was doing, maybe saw it on tv in a movie or series. The afternoon I had it, I wanted very much to give Dad a shave when He got home from work. He was a bit perturbed with the idea at first, but between Mom and I, we convinced him to let me give him a 'barbershop shave.' I think I did a pretty good job making the lather and shaving him with the little plastic "DE razor" I had too! I remember being very proud of myself. That was maybe 5 or 6? Even today at 57 it's still one of those bonding memories I cherish.

I sure remember my Dad shaving and even a few times when he lathered me up with canned foam and let me "shave" it off with an empty Super Speed!. I don't recall him actually teaching me to shave.

I watched my father shave for years. When I was little the whole process fascinated me. Watching him make lather in his Old Spice mug with his brush and then lathering his face. Watching him shave with his safety razor or on those rare occasions with his ivory handled straight razor. My father taught me how to shave when I was 14.
When I got older it was a good way to spend a few minutes alone with him. He's been gone for 20 years and I miss those times

Oh, yeah, as a tot I watched with interest as he shaved with a Schick Injectable and Barbasol no-brush cream in a tube. My first razor was a Fatboy given me by a stewardess on a United flight, fall, 1960. No help from him; he was amazed that I preferred to use a brush, as he thought not having to use a brush was liberating.

Some of my earliest memories are of my father shaving in the late forties. He used a short, black handle brush and a mug. He gravitated between a Gillette TTO and a Schick injector. We had "dime" stores in those times and they all carried plastic shaving sets with a little brush, mug, and soap, and a plastic razor with a harmless blade of some type. I think it resembled a Gem type, SE. I was thrilled with mine.
After 70 years, I still fondly think back to these moments every morning as I carry out my shave ritual. It's very much the same thing except I have I have more toys to pick from than Daddy did. Adds to the fun, I'm not sure I get any better shaves than he did.
Best regards,
Ron I

I remember a day specifically where I had received a plastic shave kit from my Mom.

My folks bought me that same kit after I sliced the heck out of my finger messing with my pop's Schick injector box. I managed to eject a blade right through my finger. I've been looking like crazy for a picture because I know somewhere there is a pic of me lathered up playing with that plastic razor toy.

Meanwhile, in the present time, my son has reached that moment in his life where he is also fascinated with shaving. Until recently, my little bathroom was a no-mans land. But now it's become a post-bathing routine for my kid and he won't let me watch or help him. I had to sneak a foto of him in action. And as you can see, he's a Proraso man:

$IMG_2580.JPG

As a kid I saw my dad shaving everyday. TrackII was always his weapon of choice until relatively recently. I used them for years too.

Now that I have a better understanding of what it takes to shave with a DE Razor I understand what my dad was doing each day...

My Dad is in his late 70's and still talks about watching his dad shave with a straight... Watching your dad shave is a rite of passage I think.

When I was about 3 I used to watch my Dad shaving with a Gillette G II (European version of the Trac II) while I scraped lather off my face with an empty razor

When I was about 5 my Dad glared at me and threw a toy soldier out of the bathroom window because I'd stood it up in the sink when he was filling it up with water ready to shave and drove him nuts -
I'm finding it hard to keep a straight face even as I'm typing this :lol:

When I was about 10, I watched Dad trying out his brand new Gillette Contaur pivot head razor, which he said was a good razor

When I was about 12, my Dad hauled me over the coals when he found out that I'd used his razor - I was playing with an Action Man (GI Joe) and used Dad's razor to shave the "realistic hair" off it's head-
When he told my Grandad about it a few days later, he said "They've got hair like wire" :lol:

Now at 84, Dad's happily using a Wilkinson Sword Quattro every morning and can't understand why I collect DE razors, or why I'd even want to use them in the first place
He wonders why I get through so many DE blades - he maintains to this day that he can make a WS Quattro blade last for a whole month

When I was a kid I too liked to watch my father or grandfather shaving. They both used a 3 pieces DE, lathering cream on the face. The most fascinating was the sound of the whiskers being cut, it made shaving look so dangerous :001_smile

My folks bought me that same kit after I sliced the heck out of my finger messing with my pop's Schick injector box. I managed to eject a blade right through my finger. I've been looking like crazy for a picture because I know somewhere there is a pic of me lathered up playing with that plastic razor toy.

Meanwhile, in the present time, my son has reached that moment in his life where he is also fascinated with shaving. Until recently, my little bathroom was a no-mans land. But now it's become a post-bathing routine for my kid and he won't let me watch or help him. I had to sneak a foto of him in action. And as you can see, he's a Proraso man:

View attachment 697227

That picture is so awesome!!! One of those proud DAD moments... one to cherish.

To myself... I did watch my dad shave a few times as a kid. Since he shaved with a Braun, it was Buzzzzzzzzzz Shrap shrap Buzzzzzz all the way.... lol.

I was however fascinated by the electric... especially the trimmer blade that popped up on the on/off switch. Great toy... until I wrecked it!! Did I get a royal a** whooping for that (rightfully so... being a parent myself now). Both grandfathers passed away before I was interested... so no memories there as far as shaving goes.

I have nice memories of watching my Dad shaving. He had an Old Spice mug, a shiny Gillette Executive and a green handled boar brush. I remember watching him put the blade in and turning the handle tight. I remember the sound of him lathering up with his brush. He would curse when he nicked himself (so that's where I picked up that habit). One pass and he was done. He would rinse off and slap on some Old Spice and I can remember how nice he smelled. When he was in the nursing home I would visit and give him a barbershop style shave. He enjoyed it so much and so did I. I miss him.

Every morning, my father had very heavy, dark stubble that he patiently shaved with ruthless efficiency in two passes. He used DE razors until I was about 8 years old, and he let my play shave bladelessly with a very old, worn-looking TTO that been his main razor until he bought a Krona. I found all this fascinating, along with the smells of Skin Bracer, Old Spice, and Hai Karate.

Eventually, he migrated to Trac II, then disposables which my mother, who was eternally "arranging things" would put in a ceramic planter on the counter like a bouquet of BIC and Good News razors. So, when it came my time to start shaving, I just picked one and had at it. After my father figured out what I had been doing, he seemed disappointed that I didn't ask for guidance.

Later, he was fascinated to see ME shaving when I was at home over a college break. I had started using a DE by then, pretty retro in the 1980s, and he mentioned that he always cut his chin with "those old things." He had a very handsome cleft chin, and I don't actually remember him enduring many cuts.

Fond memories.

Last edited:
My dad was a bit af anomally (I think). He was unique in that he shaved with cartridges (Gillette Atras), but used a brush, soap and old spice mug because he, "Liked a hot lather." I'd hang out by the sink so I could him to slap some aftershave on me so I could run over to mom to get a sniff of her son "smelling like a man."

I can still remember his opening up pucks of Colgate and Williams in his Christmas stocking each year, along with gift sets of British Sterling, Stetson, Preferred Stock (What can I say I was a kid of the 80s).

Part of the reason I got into wet shaving was because his car got broken into while he was at the gym one morning and they stole his dopp kit containing the Old Spice mug he'd had forever as well as his Rooney brush. I wanted to get him a new brush (having no idea at the time how many varieties there were, nor how expensive they could be). My sister and I settled on a gift card for him to AOS.

In doing my research for the brush I found out about old school DE shaving and was really intrigued. I ordered my initial setup with some Christmas money later that year, told my dad about it that night and about an hour later received an email with his purchase of a DE (DE89BL) as well. We've both been into it for several years now and enjoy periodically surprising each other with random mailings of software & hardware. (He's a frozen faced freak, I'm more of a woodsy/sandalwood guy). I found his birth quarter Fatboy years ago and will be getting him an Old Spice mug from the same time this year. I'd love to know if there is a way to date brushes, I'd really like to get him a complete birth year set.

My father always shaved (and still does in his 90s) with a DE and canned foam (Noxzema). He taught me how to shave in 1980 and gave me his spare Gillette FB that I still have.He was flabbergasted when for a spell I bought a brush and shaving soap ..."what do you need these things when you have the foam ready in a can and why do you waste your time like that?" he told me when he saw them :lol:...I still shave daily with a DE and shaving foam in 4 passes and 5 minutes flat like he taught me but every 2-3 weeks I might use a soap/brush for one shave just to realize that even though it feels a bit more luxurious it works just the same with canned foam...what can I say the man is right! :thumbup1:

Top Bottom