What's new

Does preshave oil expire?

I was given a bottle of art of shaving preshave oil about 3 years ago as a gift. I never used it but would like to use it now. I smelled it and it seems fine. Anybody have any insight into this?

Thanks!

I love my preshave oil and hope the it doesn't exspire or has a long ashelf life I never felt it gunked up my razor also seeking exspiration level Adam T. Darr

Smell is the test for oils. When oil spoils (I feel like Dr. Seuss) it gets a rancid smell. It has a long shelf life, but it will spoil.

I'm no chemist, but I think it depends on whether the oil is mineral or organic. Mineral oils can't go rancid because bacteria don't eat rocks, but organic oils (those made from plant or animal fats) can. And I wonder if all bacteria-infested organic oils smell bad. Wouldn't it depend on the type bacteria and degree of rancidity? And that's what we're talking about when an oil "goes bad" or becomes rancid right, some bad level of bacterial growth? Then there is a food-based oil that "goes bad" but not because it's rotting, but because it's changing chemical composition. I think old olive oil does that. Something about free radicals. But those wouldn't be an issue if you aren't eating it.

Hmm. Maybe it's more complicated than just a whiff....

Last edited:
I'm no chemist, but I think it depends on whether the oil is mineral or organic. Mineral oils can't go rancid because bacteria don't eat rocks, but organic oils (those made from plant or animal fats) can. And I wonder if all bacteria-infested organic oils smell bad. Wouldn't it depend on the type bacteria and degree of rancidity? And that's what we're talking about when an oil "goes bad" or becomes rancid right, some bad level of bacterial growth? Then there is a food-based oil that "goes bad" but not because it's rotting, but because it's changing chemical composition. I think old olive oil does that. Something about free radicals. But those wouldn't be an issue if you aren't eating it.

Hmm. Maybe it's more complicated than just a whiff....

+1...I would be cautious. I dislike having to throw things away, but since you will be rubbing the product on your skin, perhaps in this case it might be wise to just toss it.

Wouldn't it depend on the type bacteria and degree of rancidity

No. Rancid is rancid irrespective of whether it's due to bacteria or chemical "decay". Olive oil that has decayed with age rather than contamination has a very distinctive smell - it's quite similar to the smell from the colouring crayons your children play with. Oil that is rancid due to bacterial contamination smells bad due the presence of what is in fact excrement - bacterial excrement true but excrement nevertheless.

Top Bottom