What's new

Open comb vs closed comb?

Sorry to ask a mundane question but I could not find a thread answering my question. What exactly does a open comb do for you? Is it better? Worse?same?

~ When in doubt...Post it in
Badger&Blade ~

I know the difference between the two physically. I'm not sure how it effects the shave physics, but I'm pretty sure open combs are considered more aggressive due to increased skin/hair exposure. I'm sure you'll have other jump in shortly to answer your question. And no such thing as a mundane, stupid, or otherwise invalid question. That's why this is the shave clinic. =)

I'm going to take a stab at this and see if I'm correct when the experts chime in, I would say open combar is for when you have a thicker beard It would actually let
The beard go into the razor

I use my open comb razors, generally, when I have multiple days growth. They handle thicker, longer whiskers without clogging much easier than with a closed comb. But I say generally because it's not always the case. The OC is an older design for the double edge razor.

IMO neither is superior. There are many exceptions but, in general, OC has more blade exposure. Thus, OC is generally more 'aggressive.' In theory IC is also less likely to clog. As always YMMV!

OC is also supposed to allow more lather to remain in place for when the blade is in contact with your skin, i.e. more lubrication. I can't say that I've really noticed a difference. YMMV

I personally find the open comb design being worse than safety bar. Most open comb razors that I've tried, had an odd "ideal angle", that was not corresponding to the best way to keep the razor. I don't know if I make too much sense here.

Now... Most of the things, that seem to "favor" open comb razors, are a bit false.

- It works better when you have big beard - not really true. Safety bars work great too. Most of them don't clog with stubble like carts do.
- It's more aggressive - not true. It can be if the manufacturer wanted for it to be. Fatip Grande have a lot of exposure, while Merkur open bomb is very mild, comparable with mild safety bar razors.
- The lather is not taken by your safety bar. Well, the lather remains with a safety bar too. At least enough so you will get good lubrication. Even on a smooth design, like Merkur Futur, for example, you won't press hard enough so you will remove all the lather off your face. The most of it will be removed by the blade, and it's the same with open comb. A high "residual slickness" is a soap quality that it's good to have with any of these razors.

To cut it short... I've only noticed a single difference between these two designs. With open comb razors, I usually need to be more careful with my angle than with the safety bar ones that I own. Anything else... I don't feel any difference, like a better lubrication or something like that.

The thinking behind the OC is that it deals better with longer growth, as the teeth of the comb channel the whisker towards the blade, without flattening them or removing the lather from the whiskers beforehand. A closed comb is more prone to flatten the whiskers and remove the lather with the solid safety bar. The closed comb is reputedly somewhat milder than the open comb.

In practice, none of this may make any difference, particularly if you shave frequently. Like so much about shaving, it's what's best for you, not what may be seen as objectively "better". I happily use both, and I shave every day. For me, the optimum combination of smoothness and efficiency comes with an OC razor (the Fatip Piccolo, since you ask), but what's best for me won't necessarily mean it's best for others as well.

When I reduced my circle beard (about 3/4" long) to a mustache, I used an open comb and it sailed right through the "old growth", even though there's only about half the blade edge length hitting unbent whiskers. It rinsed out a lot easier too.
I have a Long Comb New, and it doesn't seem particularly more aggressive than, say, my Pre-War Tech.
I also have a Fendrihan "Scientist" with a dual head - open comb on one side, safety bar on the other. It was the second DE razor that I bought, after a Slim. I was too chicken to commit to a regular open comb head.

The vendor says that the open comb side is more aggressive, but I'd say only a bit more.
For regular daily shaves, I'll pick any razor at random, and enjoy it. With the Fendrihan I'll often flip it around mid-pass.

I'm going to buy a DE razor for my son who might shave once a week or so (though he needs it more often) to wean him off the 2-blade disposables. I figure an open comb will work best for him. The RazoRock OLD TYPE open comb is on my short list.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like OC DEs because they don't seem to clog up and I get a closer longer lasting shave than with an SB DE. The exceptions to that are a Gillette Fatboy @9 and a slant. They don't clog and shave close.

Bob

An Open Comb isn't necessarily more aggressive, I have 2 a Parker 26c and a Fendrihan Long Handle Open comb which I have swapped the handle with one off a Fendrihan Albastron. The Parker is mild, the Fendrihan is medium aggressive, I get a close shave with both. I the big difference I find with an open comb is, if your lather and technique is perfect you will get a BBS shave every time. If either isn't perfect, you bleed, their doesn't seem to be much of a happy medium.

I've had 2 OC razors - a Merkur 1904c, and a New Deluxe (Criterion). The Merkur was so mild as to be ineffective on my face (and was given to a friend who wanted a very mild razor); the Gillette is one of my most "aggressive" razors and definitely requires attention and technique to avoid bloodshed.

Compared to my bar razors, the New Deluxe has much more "blade feel" and auditory feedback. Also, my shaves last considerably longer with the OC; probably due to its aggressive geometry.

Do this, it's the B&B way.

+1 :thumbup:

I know the difference between the two physically. I'm not sure how it effects the shave physics, but I'm pretty sure open combs are considered more aggressive due to increased skin/hair exposure. I'm sure you'll have other jump in shortly to answer your question. And no such thing as a mundane, stupid, or otherwise invalid question. That's why this is the shave clinic. =)

Not necessarily. They tend to be designed as more aggressive razors, but if you look at the PAA DOC that is as mild as any 34C... it just comes down to design. One of the Beasts, the R41, is only a semi OC. So... yeah. Take it for a design thing.

I'm going to take a stab at this and see if I'm correct when the experts chime in, I would say open combar is for when you have a thicker beard It would actually let
The beard go into the razor

That's the first impression that every body gets. I think it came from a manufacturing stand point. Stanping a safety bar out of a thin piece of brass probably wasn't that easy in the early days. Hence the first models all having some sort of comb design. With better manufacturing capabilities came the solid safety bar (that wouldn't bend and break at the first drop - design improvements). Since the tooling was already established for the OC... and people liked them, produce both. Make one the mild one (safety bar) and one the efficient one (OC).... voila... two classes of razors. Now... this is just my observation. If someone can correct and/or add to this... I'd also like to know.

I like both designs for what they are. Most of my OC's are aggressive by design... and most of my safety bars are rather mild (this doesn't work with SE's...lol)

Just my $0.02 :laugh:

Top Bottom