What's new

Tuxedo Shave Brush

I have seen these on a couple sites. They are described as 24MM dense synthetic shave brushes. Is this a new type synthetic.? Anyone here use one.? The one I seen features a Whipped Dog handle which looks very nice..

$IMG_4128.jpg

Seems the "Tuxedo Brush" tag gets attached to quite a few different brushes. I call this one my "Penguin Tuxedo" brush. It's a Rudy Vey Custom with Shavemac Finest knot.

The APShave knot just came in the mail to me today. I plan to sink it into a handle over the weekend. I'll report back after a couple shaves. Out of the box it looks and feels promising.

Yup.
I got one from APShaveCo a few weeks ago, already fitted into this handle:

It's very soft, but with - whaddya-call-it - "progressive backbone"?
I like it because it just about covers half my face. Very luxurious.
The dry knot will jiggle like Jell-O if you tap the side of the handle.

I think Andrew's primary product on Etsy is just the knot, and they're all 24 mm.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow... Thanks Guys.! How about some reviews on how it lathers & splays on the face.? Is it smooth or scritchy.??

Posted this in the synthetic brush thread. Knot from APShaveCo (Tuxedo) that I put into a wood handle. As mentioned, it is super smooth. So if you like scritchy I find the Ubersoft 2 or Muhle STF to have a bit more scratch. But the Tuxedo lathers like a beast, scritch or not.
Also put it into a vintage Ever-Ready. Liked the color combination.

Only thing to realize is that it's only offered in 24 mm so get the Dremel out if you need to widen the opening. The Ever-Ready had a 20mm knot but it was not an issue to widen to take the 24mm Tuxedo.

$IMG_1822.jpg

$IMG_1824.jpg

Last edited:

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Posted this in the synthetic brush thread. Knot from APShaveCo (Tuxedo) that I put into a wood handle. As mentioned, it is super smooth. So if you like scritchy I find the Ubersoft 2 or Muhle STF to have a bit more scratch. But the Tuxedo lathers like a beast, scritch or not.
Also put it into a vintage Ever-Ready. Liked the color combination.

Only thing to realize is that it's only offered in 24 mm so get the Dremel out if you need to widen the opening. The Ever-Ready had a 20mm knot but it was not an issue to widen to take the 24mm Tuxedo.

View attachment 697279

View attachment 697280
I hope that it will be offered in different sizes at some point. I've felt the knot and it feels great.

Kindly,
Adam

I've used synthetics exclusively for the last couple years. I've always admired the ShaveMac-style octagonal handles, so I bought one a while back thinking I would sink a Whipped Dog knot into it. Alas, WD changed suppliers about a year ago and no longer carries the knot I prefer. The newer knot seems slightly "pokey" when I press down to splay it on my face.

I also tried Maggards and AMACK Sunrise knots. The Maggards knot is denser than the others, but both these also have the minor but discernible poke that bothered me enough to keep looking. They are great knots otherwise. And most people probably don't even notice the hint of scritch that bothers my sensitive mug.

This week I tried the APShaveCo Tuxedo knot. It does not have the pokiness. The tips are silky soft, just like the older model WD. It has plenty of backbone for me and it's approaching the denseness of the Maggards knot. It does not splay as easily as some, yet I wouldn't say it's springy. It seems to hold more water than my other synthetics. Like all these knots, it whips up lather quickly and easily.

It did shed a few hairs in the first few shaves, which I've never experienced before in a synthetic. Hopefully it stops.

I'm still playing with the loft, but overall, I really like it. Here's a pic:

$brush.jpg

Top Bottom