What's new

My best performing soap is .

Like many of you I rotate through several soaps, rarely using the same one for more than 2 or 3 consecutive days. There is no plan to this; I simply pick a soap based upon which one appeals to me that morning. Pretty much every day (and I do shave every day) I wind up saying to myself, "This is really a great soap. Why haven't I been using it more?" But I also keep thinking that one of them must be the "best". So I conducted a simple, not particularly scientific test. Each day, using the same set-up, I tried a different soap. The brush is a Stirling "Kong", since I have found it consistently produces great lather (and tons of it) from any soap, hard or soft. The razor is an EJ89 with a Gillette Platinum blade. Here are the soaps:

• LEA Classic
  • AOS old stock Sandalwood
  • Stirling Begamot Lavender
  • D. R. Harris Windsor
  • Razorock Tallow Son of Zeus
  • Tabac Shave Stick
  • La Toja (grated into a puck)
  • Mitchell's Wool Fat (formed into a shave stick)
  • Pre de Provence

First of all, my initial sense that these are all great soaps has been confirmed. Leaving scent aside, as that is a purely subjective criterion, you would be hard pressed to find anything to complain about with any of these soaps. In all cases I was able to quickly whip up plenty of lather to perform a two pass face lathered shave. In all cases, the razor glided over my face effortlessly and left me with an irritation free and well moisturized face. I didn't try to tease out individual factors, but just wanted to compare the overall experience. Did one of these soaps perform better overall than the others?

My answer is yes, by the tiniest margin the Tabac stick edged out the others. I'm not sure if the puck would have similarly won top honors, but based upon what others have said, I suppose it would. Almost imperceptibly behind Tabac was Pre de Provence, and unless you love the smell of Tabac (and I don't), it would be my overall first pick. In fact, if you told me I could only use 1 soap forever, it would be Pre de Provence . It has a pleasant but not overbearing smell that I could live with day in and day out. While I enjoy the variety of fragrances, I don't think I would want one of the stronger and more pronounced ones like the Stirling or Razorock as an everyday experience. But of course, no one is going to force me to use one soap forever, and I have already ordered another soap, CRSW Jardin d'Orange, to replace the just about finished Stirling. Variety is the spice of life.

Last edited:
For me it would be Haslinger's schafmilch. This one has top notch performance in every department but the scent. Even that is a plus as it does not fight with my AS! :thumbup1:

For me it would be Haslinger's schafmilch. This one has top notch performance in every department but the scent. Even that is a plus as it does not fight with my AS! :thumbup1:
I haven't used Haslinger Schafmilch in a few years, but I agree that it could give any of the other soaps I've mentioned a run for it's money. But like Tabac, I find its scent somewhere just short of unpleasant.

Here my best performing soaps and I love it so much, and this will become my permanent supplies from now on and I'm not going to try any more soaps that it.

Haslinger Sheep Milk & Lanolin (very similar to MWF)
La Toja Shaving Soap Stick
LEA Classic Shaving Soap
Mitchell's Wool Fat
Pre De Provence No. 63
Tabac Soap & Stick

I'm still trying to decide on my top soaps. I have about 15 that I consider very good to excellent.

I'd say my top 10 right now are:

B&M Leviathan
Chiseled Face Summer Storm
Haslinger Aloe Vera
Mystic Waters Coconut Sandalwood
Panna Crema Nuavia Blu
Panna Crema Pure2O Vetiver
Pre de Provence Original Sage
Shannon's Soaps Coconut Lime
Stirling Executive Man
Sudsy Soapery Sandalwood and Myrrh

Slightly different characteristics for each, which makes it hard. I have found that combinations of these can compliment each other bringing the best characteristics of each into the mix.

If I had to decide right now, I'd narrow my top 3 to:

B&M Leviathan
Chiseled Face Summer Storm
Panna Crema Pure2O Vetiver

I'm new and I've only tried a few but
Sudsy Soapery>Bain Amour>Mystic Waters>RazoRock XXX Duro>Proraso
I'm leaving scent out of this and only grading on slickness, cushioning and moisturizing/post shave feel. My lather technique is still a work in progress so this is definitely subject to change. I suspect I'm short changing Mystic Waters (new formula) but I think it does require more finesse in lather building than either Sudsy Soapery or Bain Amour. Stirling and Mike's on deck.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Not in any order:

La Savonnerie du Moulin
ABC hard soap
Properly hydrated MdC
Valobra/Czech and Speake/AoS tallow
Boellis Panama

Cheers, Steve

Top of the top--CRSW and Haslinger

The next step down--Stirling, Cella, Tabac, in no particular order.

I have some Wet Shave Products Formula T inbound that I have high hopes for.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I think by definition (could be wrong) there can be only one "best", not some list of seven or ten soaps.

That said, Haslinger is consequently my best soap.

Agree although not 100% as the scent is fine in my opinion.

For me it's Chiseled Face. I get a perfect lather every time with great perfomance and excellent post shave feel. Notable mentions are Fine, Mickey Lee, & Soap Commander. The major difference is that I can't seem to screw up with CF even if I'm getting paid to, the others can be hit or miss for me but I'm getting better with them. I also prefer the CF scents over the others, with the exception of Fine L'Orange Noir which has been a fave for awhile.

A dried-up ring of Crabtree & Evelyn's "Sienna" cream around the bottom of the container has, amazingly enough, given me some of my best shaves since rebooting my DE shaving habit.
Too bad it's long been discontinued. :sob: I have to face-lather it with a Wee Scot to conserve it.

The soap that is best for my skin seems to be Nivea Originals shaving cream, but I will not buy it again due to the awful scummy feel and the difficulty in rinsing the razor between strokes. It has silicone and I'm not sure I want that on my favourite brushes. I think it has micro-beads too, but they're rather vague about what kind - plastic, or ... ?

The soap that I enjoy using the most though, is the "Barber Shop Taper Fade" soap from First Canadian Shave Co. I like that scent best of all, and it gives decent lather.

I recently bought some Fine Lavender soap. I believe this has edged out my others for the top. My top are:

Fine
CF
Mickey Lee
Stirling

These are all very close though, and any one of them will provide a fantastic shave and post shave feel for me.

Currently is Cella, followed by La Toja stick (grated into a puck), Arko and MWF.
I didn't tried yet Haslinger or Tabac, but they will be on my next order.

Top Bottom