What's new

Zubrowka

Zubrowka...A rye based vodka made only at the POLMOS BIALYSTOK distillery in Poland. This is the real stuff , not sold in the U.S. due to the massive amounts of coumarin contained in the single blade of Bison Grass floating in the bottle. Lots of fakes on the market , so beware. This Polish vodka has been around 400 years and is a legend in Poland. Lots of reviews of Zubrowka around,some claim to taste menthol , some taste vanilla or wood.I taste only a very slightly herbal , mild , mellowness over the alcohol flavor,it really smooths it out.No "green grass" type of flavor at all, but maybe a slight "golden hay" taste ( ??? ) I drank mine chilled and neat ,I wanted the full flavor.Many Poles drink it with "cloudy" apple juice ,which I believe in America would be "unfiltered" apple juice.A gift from my good pal Vlad, I am very greatful ! http://www.eater.com/drinks/2015/11/3/9660102/bison-grass-vodka-Zubrowka :thumbup1:

Attachments

• $DSCN0960.jpg
    $DSCN0960.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 40
  • $DSCN0961.jpg
    $DSCN0961.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 41
  • $DSCN0962.jpg
    $DSCN0962.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 38
  • $DSCN0963.jpg
    $DSCN0963.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 41
  • $DSCN0966.jpg
    $DSCN0966.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 41
A most remarkable drink. I was fortunate enough to acquire a bottle before it was banned in the US. Wish I could get more but Krakow is a bit far.

I have picked it up at the Duty Free stores, and very nice ,smooth sipping vodka.

A source listed Żubrówka as containing approximately 12 milligrams of coumarin per litre, which falls in European guidelines.

Unless you are quaffing bottles of it, I see no harm in having a couple drinks.

Just read a Wiki article on coumarin. Interesting that it is legal in Europe but not so here. I would imagine that its presence in a bottle of vodka would be minimal but I guess the FDA is not convinced.

Strange indeed , most aftershaves contain it....... Saigon type cinnamons are loaded with it.... http://www.cinnamonvogue.com/Types_of_Cinnamon_1.html

When we were trying to keep my Mother's warfarin balance in order; I had no idea we had a 'hidden' agent in the house... we'd been using Saigon cinnamon from Costco/Kirkland brand as a health and flavoring agent in the daily oatmeal. My god what required revelation of possible side effects could have done. All goes to explain our difficulty in discerning 'health suppliments and foods' not monitored or regulated by the FDA and what a FAIL developing a good system has been historically.

When we were trying to keep my Mother's warfarin balance in order; I had no idea we had a 'hidden' agent in the house... we'd been using Saigon cinnamon from Costco/Kirkland brand as a health and flavoring agent in the daily oatmeal. My god what required revelation of possible side effects could have done. All goes to explain our difficulty in discerning 'health suppliments and foods' not monitored or regulated by the FDA and what a FAIL developing a good system has been historically.
yes,so true !!...In the 80's I took Naprosin ,a NSAID for pain and made the mistake of drinking grapefruit juice a few hours later.My urine was coffee brown the entire day...Wish they had warnings for it back then , I had no idea...

Top Bottom