What's new

Synthetic Brush for someone that likes Boar

I'd like to buy a synthetic brush for traveling. My current favorite brushes are boars. My current favorite brush is the Proraso Professional.

I currently own:
  • Proraso Professional - I like this the most and it is probably my go-to brush. It has a good amount of scritch and a nice amount of backbone. I like both of these things.
  • Semogue 830 - I really enjoy bowl lathering with this giant brush. It is worn in and super soft.
  • Vie-Long Cachurro - A bit floppy, but a great performer.
  • RazoRock Plissoft Disruptor - Creates good lather, but I don't really like the way it feels on my face. It also tends to fling lather around more than my other brushes.
  • Ecotools Kabuki - I started with this when I didn't know if shaving was going to take. I almost never use it anymore, but it reminds me a good bit of the Plissoft, but smaller and softer.

Is there a synthetic brush that would provide a somewhat similar experience to the Proraso? I know synthetic is different, so I don't expect it to be identical. I would just like a somewhat similar experience.

The biggest difference I've noticed when using a synthetic in a bowl almost always seems to result in a lather that has more air with larger bubbles, and face lathering with a synthetic tends to result in a lather that is more dense. I have difficulty getting a nice hydrated cushiony slick lather with synthetics.

Last edited:
Omega makes brushes that suppose to feel like a boar. Here is one for under $20.00 It's model Omega 146228.

$Omega.jpg

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I don't have a lot of experience with synthetics, but I love boar brushes, and I love my Mühle STF. It has some mighty good backbone and makes lather almost like magic.

Now, I must say that I'm mighty curious about that Omega synthetic that was just mentioned . . . .

I believe it is the S-brush line that is supposed to feel like boar not the Hi-brush line I have one of each and the S feels more like boar but I would not say that it is all that close (not a bad brush though).

[MENTION=97351]ciderguy[/MENTION] I have a few synths that I can lend u to get a feel of different ones. Let me know if you are interested. From Muhles to Maggards - just got a whipped dog as well so if u want to give it a whirl I can take it off my BST for the interim.

I believe it is the S-brush line that is supposed to feel like boar not the Hi-brush line I have one of each and the S feels more like boar but I would not say that it is all that close (not a bad brush though).

You are quite right.

A previous post had suggested Omega synthetic brushes and pictured a Omega Hi-Line model, but for someone who would like to combine the feel of boar with the convenience of a synthetic brush the Omega S-Line would be the way to go.

In fact, the Omega S-Line 10083 synthetic brush looks like a twin to the Omega Pro 48 boar brush.

Most other synthetic brushes that I have tried (Plisson, Mühle STF[emoji768], Omega Hi-Line) attempt to replicate the feel of badger brushes.

B.

@ciderguy I have a few synths that I can lend u to get a feel of different ones. Let me know if you are interested. From Muhles to Maggards - just got a whipped dog as well so if u want to give it a whirl I can take it off my BST for the interim.

Kudos for your generosity, [MENTION=94244]sskim3[/MENTION]. :thumbup1:

The Omega 10083 is a boar brush.

You are right, the Omega 10083 is a boar brush and I copied the model number from the Amazon seller that sold me this (nevertheless synthetic) Omega S-Brush as "Omega S-Brush Synthetic Shaving Brush Silver Large 10083".

Rather, the correct designator should have been S10083, described by Omega as "S10083 Pennello da barba Omega in fibra sintetica S-Brush".

B.

I have an omega hi line, which I like. What does that feel like? Just another synthetic brush?
I agree with you the Hi-brush is just like many of my other synthetic brushes, my S-brush is a little different, but still much like others too.

I am doing more face lathering now. Works the S brush be a better choice?
I rarely face lather (only if in a hurry), and also hardly ever use anything other than Badger, having said that if you are looking for a synthetic for face lathering the S-brush would probably be a good choice.

I rarely face lather (only if in a hurry), and also hardly ever use anything other than Badger, having said that if you are looking for a synthetic for face lathering the S-brush would probably be a good choice.

No matter which brush, I always face lather and the Omega S-brush works just fine for that purpose.

Considering that (at less than $10) it can be had for a fraction of the costs of a Mühle Silvertip Fibre[emoji768], which I consider one of the leading synthetic shaving brushes, it is certainly worth a try if you are looking for a synthetic brush to emulate boar.

B.

I don't think there are. Omega S-brush is sold as "synthetic boar", but it's very far from actual boar brushes.

If I think better, I don't think that I would want a synthetic brush that would feel like boar. With boar brushes, it's a ride. It's like they are alive. They get better and better, they modify the way they look, they feel special. This kind of development, give by the fact that the hairs are splitting it's counter-intuitive for a synthetic brush.

The biggest difference I've noticed when using a synthetic in a bowl almost always seems to result in a lather that has more air with larger bubbles, and face lathering with a synthetic tends to result in a lather that is more dense. I have difficulty getting a nice hydrated cushiony slick lather with synthetics.

I tend to think that it's mostly due to your technique. For me, synthetics are the way to go when I don't want the brush to be a problem. They never fail to produce a perfect lather.

I tend to think that it's mostly due to your technique. For me, synthetics are the way to go when I don't want the brush to be a problem. They never fail to produce a perfect lather.

I keep trying different things with them, but the lather is always fundamentally different in texture from using a boar or horse. I started shaving with a synthetic and used nothing but synthetics for close to two years. I just like boar more now.

Some soaps are hard to lather or take some time to lather properly. My Maggard synthetic does a great job at lathering the following soaps: Arko, Arko Cream, Col.Conk, Italian Barber & VDH. What soap are you using.?

Some soaps are hard to lather or take some time to lather properly. My Maggard synthetic does a great job at lathering the following soaps: Arko, Arko Cream, Col.Conk, Italian Barber & VDH. What soap are you using.?

I currently haphazardly rotate through the following:

Soap
  • Haslinger Marigold
  • Mike's Naturals Peppermint and Rosemary
  • Tabac (bowl)
  • Sudsy Soapery Sandalwood & Myrrh
  • RazoRock 888 Eucalyptus
  • Esbjerg Cardamom and Amber Cream -- this lathers similarly with the synthetic and boar
  • Stirling Margaritas in the Arctic
  • Arko sticks
  • RazoRock XXX
  • RazoRock Zi Peppino

Cream
  • Proraso Red
  • Proraso Green
  • Proraso Blue

They are listed in an approximate order of how much I like each item in terms of overall performance. I'm probably going to be using only Tabac for the rest of the month. My Tabac just came in yesterday. Here is an image of some Tabac I bowl lathered on my Semogue 830.
$tabac-lather.jpg

I'll be shaving sometime this evening, and I'll post an image of Tabac on the RazoRock Plissoft Disruptor after.

Top Bottom