What's new

Rust buildup issue

I just recently acquired this Goodwill head and I'm having a hard time getting rid of rust buildup from carbon steel blades that were used in it and not properly dried off. Now it looks a lot better in these photos than when I originally got it. So far I've tried Scrubbing bubbles and multiple cycles in a water/dishsoap/ammonia solution in a ultrasonic cleaner with the results you see below.
Aside from breaking out my dremel and polishing wheel and a grit paste, does anyone know of an easy way to remove the rust?
Thanks to any advice you guys can give.
$tmp_24506-20161020_154602-1651116951.jpg

Search the 'net for electrolysis rust removal. Not sure how well that would work with a brass substrate as I am no chemist, but the process itself is very easy and kinda fun.

Maybe shoot a question to Chris Evatt at Razorplate.com. He is a member here and THE razor refinishing guru.

Good luck.

Don't know if you want to do this or not, but it looks like most of it is on top of lacquer. Stripper will take away the lacquer, and the rust with it.

Don't know if you want to do this or not, but it looks like most of it is on top of lacquer. Stripper will take away the lacquer, and the rust with it.

Never thought I'd ever utter these words, but what kind of stripper should I use?

If you're considering totally stripping the finish. I'd try gun cleaning products first, they *are* designed to take rust off metal.

If you're considering totally stripping the finish. I'd try gun cleaning products first, they *are* designed to take rust off metal.

Thanks for the idea. Most of the gold plating on the other side is gone as well, so losing the rest won't bother me any.

If there is a little brown rust under a super speed head, does that indicate plate loss? Or would that rust be green?

A superspeed is nickel plated brass. It doesn't rust. Someone probably left a blade in the razor for an extended period. Even a stainless blade will eventually oxidize.

If there is a little brown rust under a super speed head, does that indicate plate loss? Or would that rust be green?

A superspeed is nickel plated brass. It doesn't rust. Someone probably left a blade in the razor for an extended period. Even a stainless blade will eventually oxidize.

Some of them did have steel parts, see if a magnet will stick, if not then it's brass turning brown or stuff left from a blade. See if it will clean off regardless of what it is.

[MENTION=89729]TobyC[/MENTION] You asked and I shall provide. Pictures of my Goodwill rust free and shiny. But first here the steps taken to get it all beautiful again.
The no-brainer and sure-fire means of cleaning up this Goodwill was none other than Chris at RazorPlate.
Shortly after creating this thread is received a PM from Chris offering his services in the form of a PIF. Trust me when I say that I had to read his message several times to believe my own eyes.
After accepting his extremely generous offer, I sent my razor to him. Here's one of the cool parts, and there are great deal of awesome things about my experience with working with Chris to get my razors brought back to life, was that I asked Chris to take his time since I know he has many paying customers ahead of me and he started working on it ASAP once receiving the razor. Just knowing that he was gifting me his services was the perfect reason to patiently wait my turn.
Just tonight I received an email from Chris letting me know that it was finished. Talk about fast! He provided me with a really detailed description of all the steps and processes that were required to clean up and replated the razor. He also provides pictures from start to finish. I knew there was a lot of steps involved, but was blown away with all of the actual details involved. It was definitely very interesting to read. Looking at the pictures, and we all know that the pictures are never as nice as seeing the razor in person, I am going to receive a work of art soon!
So, a huge thank you to Chris for one of the greatest PIFs I've ever received and for all of your hard work that went into restoring my Goodwill! :a14::thumbup: I can't wait to get it back!
So without further a due, the pictures you've been waiting for$tmp_3162-Goodwill - 24K - After - 1847722220.JPG
$tmp_3162-Goodwill - 24K - After - 2822353430.JPG
$tmp_3162-Goodwill - 24K - After - 31490892540.JPG
$tmp_3162-Goodwill - 24K - After - 4-576588735.JPG

Top Bottom