What's new

Recommend a pipe tobacco for a former snuser?

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
A relative has given me a bunch of his old, beautiful, broken-in pipes. I dabbled in pipe smoking years ago, but never really got into it, preferring to get into a wonderful relationship with Swedish snus (Ettan white portion FTW!).

When my children were born, I quit snus, because I did not want tobacco around my kids, and it was expensive.

My interest in pipes has recently been re-kindled, because they are manly, and I have an awesome full beard, and it just seems to work.

My questions are:

Can any pipe/snus users recommend me a tobacco with a flavor similar to Ettan los or white portion? I always like straight, sweet/dark tobacco like Ettan or Grov rather than herbal options like General. Also, preferably low nic, because my tolerance is that of a newb.

Is there a way of determining if the cake is made from aromatic/non-aromatic tobacco? I don’t want to ruin the cakes on these beautiful pipes I received with the wrong kind of tobacco.

Are there any good websites for ordering pipe tobacco?

Thanks!

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
Pipesandcigars.com and smokingpipes.com are great places to order tobacco (and pipes) from. I've never tried any snus, so I can't help you with that. What I would do with the cake is pick up a Missouri Meerschaum corn cob pipe (I mentioned the brand because they're the best) and a pouch of Carter Hall or Prince Albert. Smoke the tobacco in the cob so you get an idea of what it tastes like, then smoke it in the other pipes and see if any other flavors come out. That might give you an idea, and CH and PA won't ghost those pipes.

This may or may not be helpful, but I'll toss it out there. Daughters and Ryan Ryback reminds me of Copenhagen. Both have an earthy, smokey thing going on. Ryback is fairly strong, but if you're already used to a decent amount of nicotine it probably won't bother you.

I know Copenhagen isn't snus, but it may be similar.

Can any pipe/snus users recommend me a tobacco with a flavor similar to Ettan los or white portion? I always like straight, sweet/dark tobacco like Ettan or Grov rather than herbal options like General. Also, preferably low nic, because my tolerance is that of a newb.

Is there a way of determining if the cake is made from aromatic/non-aromatic tobacco? I don’t want to ruin the cakes on these beautiful pipes I received with the wrong kind of tobacco.

Pipesandcigars.com and smokingpipes.com are great places to order tobacco (and pipes) from. I've never tried any snus, so I can't help you with that. What I would do with the cake is pick up a Missouri Meerschaum corn cob pipe (I mentioned the brand because they're the best) and a pouch of Carter Hall or Prince Albert. Smoke the tobacco in the cob so you get an idea of what it tastes like, then smoke it in the other pipes and see if any other flavors come out. That might give you an idea, and CH and PA won't ghost those pipes.

[MENTION=61905]Kilroy6644[/MENTION] gives great advice. If it was very aromatic tobacco (cherry, vanilla, etc.) you can often tell by the sent of the pipe bowl. CH and McClelland - No. 5100 Red Cake (a straight VA, best for people with some pipe experience) were my standards when I smoked pipe. You may like CH or PA a good bit, and they are inexpensive things to try out. I'd also recommend some Sir Walter Raleigh while you are exploring drugstore blends. SWR is a bit more sweet, and you might enjoy it.

I only tried snus once, and I never had Ettan los. A good straight sweet/dark tobacco . . . hmmm Maybe G.L. Pease JackKnife ReadyRubbed. I used to like JackKnife Plug, but Plug cuts aren't the easiest for new pipe smokers. It is mostly VA, but blended nicely with some sweetness.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Flavorwise, I'd recommend something with a good portion of dark fired kentucky leaf in it. Maybe start with MacBaren Old Dark Fired or Samuel Gawith Lakeland Dark, and also consider MacBaren Bold Kentucky, Orlik Dark Kentucky, and Peter Heinrichs Dark Strong Flake.

The wrinkle in my recommendation, though, is that those tobaccos tend to have a bit higher nic content. So for that reason, I'd say start with the Old Dark Fired. It'll give you some of the rich tobacco taste you enjoyed with snus.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Thanks, all, so much for the suggestions.

I think what you have recommended might be too intense for my tastes!

I guess the best way to describe what I like would be to describe the flavor of Ettan Vit. Medium-tobacco body makes up the base. Putting one into my mouth reminded me of stepping into a warm barn full of hay on a summer's day. Dry-cut grass has a subtle hay sweetness that pairs beautifully with the tobacco. It's definitely not midnight dark tobacco(!!!) screaming in your face. The tobacco flavor is present but not ostentatious.

Here's a review: http://chadizzy1.blogspot.com/2009/06/ettan-white-portion-my-fifteenth.html

I fear that because I have not used tobacco in the past three years some of these would knock my socks off!!

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Good description of Ettan:

Here I would like to explain a bit on what a “pure tobacco flavor” means when it comes to Swedish snus. When American tobacco companies describe a tobacco product as having a “Pure tobacco flavor”, as in say Copenhagen or Red Man smokeless tobacco and Camel SNUS Mellow, we taste a generally earthy, herbal and sweet flavor. In some cases, like Camel SNUS Mellow’s overly sweet taste, this is due to the sweetener that is used in the processing of most American smokeless tobacco and SNUS. In Swedish snus, the sweetener is omitted from the process leaving just the earthy, herbal tobacco flavor. I say this for two reasons. One, when I was just beginning to use Swedish snus, I would get confused and sometimes disappointed when a snus that was said to have a “pure tobacco flavor” didn’t have the sweetness I was accustomed to with the American tobacco and two, I felt that new Snustopians shouldn’t have to go thru the same thing I did in the beginning. So to recap, Swedish snus that’s described as having a “pure tobacco flavor” means just that. No sweetener, since Swedish snus manufacturers do not use sweeteners in their recipes, just true tobacco flavor! Ok, back to the snus.

Hirsute

Thanks for the clarification on the taste you're looking for. Your description of hay-like sweetness is exactly what virginia tobaccos give. I'd recommend Dunhill Flake, Dunhill Ready Rubbed, GL Pease Union Square, and Orlik Golden Slice. Those should all be good starting points. I'll note the Ready Rubbed is often described as having a topping--I really don't taste any topping; just a nice pleasant grassy sweetness. And the Orlik has a touch of Perique which makes it a VaPer, but it's fairly mild and would show a nice contrast with the Dunhill Flake.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Thanks for the clarification on the taste you're looking for. Your description of hay-like sweetness is exactly what virginia tobaccos give. I'd recommend Dunhill Flake, Dunhill Ready Rubbed, GL Pease Union Square, and Orlik Golden Slice. Those should all be good starting points. I'll note the Ready Rubbed is often described as having a topping--I really don't taste any topping; just a nice pleasant grassy sweetness. And the Orlik has a touch of Perique which makes it a VaPer, but it's fairly mild and would show a nice contrast with the Dunhill Flake.

I looked up review of all of those and they sound absolutely amazing.

How I miss Ettan...

Hirsute

Yeah, you'll definitely like these. My tip with Virginias is to go slow at first. If you puff them like crazy you'll likely give yourself a case of tongue bite. So, get it lit well, and then go slow and steady. If you're having a hard time keeping it lit because of your slow pace try drying the tobacco a bit before you smoke it--just remove one bowl's worth of tobacco and spread it on a plate and let it sit for 30 minutes or so.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Yeah, you'll definitely like these. My tip with Virginias is to go slow at first. If you puff them like crazy you'll likely give yourself a case of tongue bite. So, get it lit well, and then go slow and steady. If you're having a hard time keeping it lit because of your slow pace try drying the tobacco a bit before you smoke it--just remove one bowl's worth of tobacco and spread it on a plate and let it sit for 30 minutes or so.
You'll have to help me. I smoked the first third of a bowl, and the flame went out. 😕. What could be the cause?

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
You'll have to help me. I smoked the first third of a bowl, and the flame went out. ��. What could be the cause?

Relighting just happens with pipe tobacco. If you can get through a third of a bowl without having to relight, I'd say you're doing just fine. Especially for just starting out.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Relighting just happens with pipe tobacco. If you can get through a third of a bowl without having to relight, I'd say you're doing just fine. Especially for just starting out.
Wonderful. All part of the ritual I take it?

Fwiw, it was delicious and wonderfully relaxing

Hirsute

Yes, you're doing great. FWIW, I've been smoking a pipe for 20 years, and don't sweet the relights. I may light the bowl and smoke it to the bottom, or I might relight it a dozen times while I smoke it. Sometimes it's because I've let it go out; other times I just want it to burn a little hotter or more even. I could get it here by puffing away, but why bother? It's part of the experience for me. I certainly fiddle with tamping a lot too.

Some guys when they first start smoking get really focused on doing a bowl without relighting. Personally I think that detracts from the experience. Relax, relight, and enjoy.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
This is gunna be a fun hobby.

Relighting the already burned ash is OK? I take it that it doesn't taste nasty when you relight, given that relighting is common?

Are butane pipe lighters a no no?

Hirsute

Yep, just relight and go. If you're getting too much ash built up you can tip your pipe over and gently tap the burned ash out.

And butane is fine. Stay away from torch lighters, but a butane soft flame lighter like a regular bic is ok.

This is gunna be a fun hobby.

Relighting the already burned ash is OK? I take it that it doesn't taste nasty when you relight, given that relighting is common?

Are butane pipe lighters a no no?

Dude, you are in for a ride! I still get that feeling you are getting now when I try a tobacco I haven't tried before. The beautiful thing about it is that there literally thousands of blends to choose from. Tobacco Reviews is an awesome site that lists virtually every brand and blend. This should help you in your quest.

You need to get your Brown Leaf badge. We have a Secret Santa coming up and I know a lot of us hear would love the chance to be your Secret Santa! Have fun brother, and welcome!

Top Bottom