What's new

Looking for first pipe

Years ago I had a pipe and lost during a couple moves. Recently I decided I would like to pick up another. Money is not easy for me to come up with these days but I am giving myself a budget of $100-120 for a pipe and other items (samplers, cleaner, tamper, cheap lighter). I should have no issues finding over the next month or so. I started looking online and honestly I do not know much about brands to looks for. I would just like a decent pipe in that range that will last, and of course maybe some recommendations of some pipe tobacco I should try. Thanks ahead of time.

IMO, you should go for a missouri meerschaum corn cob pipe. They make some really cool ones, and you're basically guaranteed to have a good smoking pipe.

If you must have a briar pipe, I personally have had success with the Savinelli brand and they can easily be had for $80-100.

As for tobaccos, what is your past experience and preference?

IMO, you should go for a missouri meerschaum corn cob pipe. They make some really cool ones, and you're basically guaranteed to have a good smoking pipe.

If you must have a briar pipe, I personally have had success with the Savinelli brand and they can easily be had for $80-100.

As for tobaccos, what is your past experience and preference?

Honestly I am not even sure what I had when I had my old pipe. I occasionally smoke cigars. I love medium to full bodied cigars. But I am not sure how that translates to pipe smoking. I just want something that is nice and easy to smoke and then go from there.

My vote would be something like Carter Hall. Its a standard OTC blend, burley based, burns easy and tastes fine...hard to get tongue bite. Once you grow out of it, you still may want it around to mix into other blends.

My vote would be something like Carter Hall. Its a standard OTC blend, burley based, burns easy and tastes fine...hard to get tongue bite. Once you grow out of it, you still may want it around to mix into other blends.

Thanks! I will keep that in mind once I get ready to make my first purchase.

I second the cob, for around $6-$8 you don't have to spend too much money to enjoy a good smoke. As tobacco is concerned, you can't go wrong with Dunhill My Mixture 965, which is a nice medium to full strength great tasting tobacco. If you enjoy aromatic, try Captain Black Regular. Good luck!

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Fixed... Couldn't edit my post. Didn't mean cigar light.

Any soft flame lighter should do. I used a Zippo for a few months but got annoyed with having to fill it every few days. After a while, I started using Bic disposable lighters most of the time instead.

As far as a first pipe is concerned, have you checked out the Gentleman's Guide to the Leaf sticky? More specifically, Buying a Briar Pipe.

After you've familiarized yourself with the basics of what to look for in a pipe, you should think about checking out some antique stores and estate sales. I've found some excellent pipes for under $15 that are great smokers. Some of them would have been quite pricey if they were bought new.

Any soft flame lighter should do. I used a Zippo for a few months but got annoyed with having to fill it every few days. After a while, I started using Bic disposable lighters most of the time instead.

As far as a first pipe is concerned, have you checked out the Gentleman's Guide to the Leaf sticky? More specifically, Buying a Briar Pipe.

After you've familiarized yourself with the basics of what to look for in a pipe, you should think about checking out some antique stores and estate sales. I've found some excellent pipes for under $15 that are great smokers. Some of them would have been quite pricey if they were bought new.

Does the butane effect the taste of the tobacco when you smoke it? I have been looking at the sticky and read some of it. I will go back and check everything out again. There is a chance I might still have my old pipe. I remember buying it the "Briar Patch" store or something like that?

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
In your price range a Savinelli or a Peterson should do. I have two Savinellis and one Peterson...I like my Savinellis better but that's just me.

Any recommendations on a cheap lighter? ^ and also thanks for the reply.

Like was said, any soft flame. Don't get a torch one or you'll burn the rim of the bowl.

I usually use a Bic, or my 60s era Ronson that I got off of Ebay pretty cheap. Oh, that's not a Savinelli in the pic. with the Ronson...it's a Lane era Charatan estate pipe I got for $130 all cleaned, sanitized, and ready to smoke when I got it.

proxy.php

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Does the butane effect the taste of the tobacco when you smoke it? I have been looking at the sticky and read some of it. I will go back and check everything out again. There is a chance I might still have my old pipe. I remember buying it the "Briar Patch" store or something like that?

I don't really notice it. I think that the smell of lighter fluid has more of an effect on my senses than the butane from a disposable lighter does. But, I guess I've never really compared the two side by side.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Yeah, you'll be fine with Butane. Some purists use only wood matches, and that's fine, but doesn't work well for me when I smoke outdoors (plus I end up going through a lot of matches). My favorite cheap refillable soft flame pipe lighters are made by IMCO, and are the G55r and G77r models. There are some on ebay for about $10 each.

proxy.php
proxy.php

Lucky me!!! I did some digging in my shed today. There were a few boxes that I know I haven't really gone through sense we bought our house. It turns out I still have it.

I really do remember anything about it from when I bought it. It is made by bjarne.

I guess the next thing to do is to clean, find a cheap lighter and something to smoke.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Congratulations on finding your pipe!

A decent way to expand your collection is to check out some of the stuff that's going on with the auction lots in The Stock Exchange. :thumbup1:

Sorry bjarne is the correct spelling? Just googled the brand and I guess the original creator of the brand passed away in 2008? I am pretty sure I bought this around 2003-2005.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
proxy.php
proxy.php

Lucky me!!! I did some digging in my shed today. There were a few boxes that I know I haven't really gone through sense we bought our house. It turns out I still have it.

I really do remember anything about it from when I bought it. It is made by bjarne.

I guess the next thing to do is to clean, find a cheap lighter and something to smoke.

Nice! It looks to still be in great condition.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
That looks normal. Sometimes on bent pipes the bottom of the mortise has a little mark like that where the drill bit cut. I have several pipes like this, and as long as it doesn't compromise the fit of the stem, you're all fine.

Top Bottom