What's new

Could Saponificio Varesino puck refill fit in a Tabac bowl?

I am going to buy SV soaps, but hesitating between a puck refill or a 70th anniversary soap with bowl.
SV bowl is certainly a beautiful one, but Tabac ceramic bowl is great when loading a brush.
Please give me some advices.
Thank you all.

Nope. Tabac bowl is smaller. Would highly recommend the 70th anniversary (don't know if it comes without containers)

Any soap will fit in any container. If your puck is too big - all you have to do is carve it, slice it or shred it till it fits and place the shavings on top. Do not add water. Just press and rub down firmly. I also like the Tabac bowl very much.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
The SV puck is large. Learned this week it doesn't fit in an Old Spice mug either.

Since the surface area of the soap releases the scent when exposed to air, I don't like chopping, carving, grinding etc. on the puck - just let nature and that day's swirling brush expose more SV Felce Aromatica goodness ...

AA

Hell no. Tabac bowl is crappy. It's not too wide. Get yourself some Tupperware, something wider. You will have much easier time loading up than from Tabac bowl.

I haven't tried the nominal SV lines, however, the 70th Anniversary product is very very nice indeed. Remember to pair it with the bath soap and aftershave too. Oh, the tin it comes with is a good lathering bowl. By the by, anyone notice the AS has a very thick thickener in it? I had to shake it up quite a bit to break down the "jello" and get it to pour through the restrictor.

I haven't tried the nominal SV lines, however, the 70th Anniversary product is very very nice indeed. Remember to pair it with the bath soap and aftershave too. Oh, the tin it comes with is a good lathering bowl. By the by, anyone notice the AS has a very thick thickener in it? I had to shake it up quite a bit to break down the "jello" and get it to pour through the restrictor.

Merle, Contact SV they will replace it, Alesandro from SV indicated that they had issues with a certain batch, you can reach them on their facebook page or website, It should be a light milky consistency

Thanks Dave, I'll check-in with them.
... although, I fear it could be the opportunity to blow another c-note with them; this first example is wonderful and I do have a serious S.A.D. infection.

The SV puck is large. Learned this week it doesn't fit in an Old Spice mug either.

Since the surface area of the soap releases the scent when exposed to air, I don't like chopping, carving, grinding etc. on the puck - just let nature and that day's swirling brush expose more SV Felce Aromatica goodness ...

AA

+1
In fact, I jaust can not persuade myself to destroy soap's original shape in order to fit the containers.
Moreover, my container is restricted to be a shave-soap brand one.
After running out a soap, I always clean the container and back to my den.

Oh. I see. You only use the container to make the day's lather and then remove your soap. I agree on not changing the soap's original shape in your case.

We're talking about two different mug uses for sure. I use the method I described to securely get the soap into the container and leave it there till it's all gone. I only load the brush in these bowls and use a wider 'lathering bowl' to finish making lather before applying it. I have been housing all types of expensive hard pucks in my Old Spice mugs for seven years using this method without any ill effects.

Last edited:
I've sniff tested all of the SV scents, and the 70th Anniversary is by far my favorite! No bowl needed for that one as others here have said - it comes in its own tin.

Top Bottom